Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Was this the correct move for Jeff ?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Was this the correct move for Jeff ?

Dec 9, 2019, 8:58 AM

First thank you Jeff and you will be missed.

Jeff had something going for him here at Clemson.
To me he is taken a big gamble. If he succeeds, it will pay off great. But the risk is high and I am not speaking About just a career risk but also a family risk and uprooting his family to a new environment. If he fails, he will find another home but will he land another Clemson Like job? Who knows ?
I feel it is gambling and the stakes are high for his family and his career and he is in a good situation here at Clemson. Why gamble ? To me , it is like I am setting with 10million at the black jack table and I decide to push 9m in!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson Is Coming" says Stephone Anthony (Class 2011)"
"Why NOT Clemson"
"Why Not Dabo"

Re: Was this the correct move for Jeff ?

Dec 9, 2019, 9:02 AM

I think its a great move. He will go there for 5 years max and then will end one of the highest paid head coaches at a potentially elite program in the Southeast and do great there as well.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is no gamble. If he fails, he will still be set up financially forever.

Dec 9, 2019, 9:05 AM

Don’t see the gamble

doubt he was getting a good P5 HC job, so go to a G5

Dec 9, 2019, 9:22 AM

team that has shown it be a good team. If he succeeds there, it will be a stepping stone to a good P5 job. If he doesn't, he's a #### ton of money and go back to being an OC at a good P5 school. Win-win to me.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This reminds me of those "player X should've come back

Dec 9, 2019, 9:28 AM

for another year" threads that are generally rooted in selfishness, bitterness, and misunderstanding.

If Jeff Scott wants to be a HC this is the kind of job he's going to have to start at. It's actually better than where many young head coaches start. The AAC is easily the best of the G5 conferences and USF is surrounded by talent for Scott to pull from - and i would imagine recruiting will his strength as a HC. I think it's a fantastic opportunity for him.

Not everyone can have programs like Oklahoma or Ohio State just fall into their laps. I don't think Dabo is about to retire like Stoops or Meyer.

Jeff is a college coach, with college coaching in his family

Dec 9, 2019, 9:40 AM

blood. Sooner or later, he was going to take a head coaching job. If he didn't, he would always wonder if he would have been successful. Some men just have to answer that question for themselves. I wish him all the success in the world, except when recruiting or playing against us. Good Luck, and Thank You, Coach Jeff Scott.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Disagree ... it’s a wonderful move for him and his family!

Dec 9, 2019, 11:34 AM

What is the downside?

He’ll make some big money and have a chance to prove himself as a HC.

He was as high as he was ever going to go at Clemson. And the co-OC thing was a way to retain his recruiting skills.

He is a terrific recruiter for sure and well miss that aspect.

He can always find a good job as an assistant if he fails as a HC.

But, I think he’ll do well down there. Especially if he follows the Dabo model and hires good people to help him.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not sure about the big money part

Dec 9, 2019, 11:57 AM

Your link only tells a portion of the story - here's all of

Dec 9, 2019, 1:30 PM

it:

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bulls/2019/10/22/usfs-charlie-strong-set-to-make-5-million-this-season/

Strong made $5 mil in 2019 and was set to make $2.6 in 2020 & 2.7 in 2021.

From this link: https://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/post/usf-vows-urgency-will-find-best-fit-hiring-charlie-strongs-replacement

"Strong signed a five-year, $9.8 million deal with USF in December 2016 following his firing as head coach at the University of Texas. He made $5 million this season, including a $2.5 million retention bonus, and was set to make $2.6 million in the fourth year of the contract and $2.7 million in the fifth year."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Yes. Not as much pressure as huge job.***

Dec 9, 2019, 11:35 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo was grooming him as his successor

Dec 9, 2019, 11:39 AM

but that's many years away from happening. It's a good move for him, and if he proves himself, we can always lure him back once Dabo retires.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great decision - great place to build a program !! he will

Dec 9, 2019, 11:49 AM

never have to worry about money again even if he fails.

But we know he won't fail.

Coaches like Scott Tony Elliot and then the others that leave will be the ones that replace Dabo when he stops down in 2045

null

great move for him IMO

Dec 9, 2019, 12:14 PM

Low standards (compared to other places) at USF, he will be given time, and he knows the recruiting grounds like the back of his hand....all he has to do is show considerable improvement and he'll get snatched up by a P5 school in a heartbeat.

Its a great move, much like Chad's was a great move

Dec 9, 2019, 12:33 PM

Chad's issue is that he jumped too soon from SMU AND/OR where he jumped to - the pit of Arkansas.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2019, 1:11 PM

Glad he’s not a scaredy-cat like you.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we will know for sure in a few years

Dec 9, 2019, 1:13 PM

He will make the most of his opportunity. I think this is a good launchpad for his career.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Boy you can really tell who's a Clemson fan, and who isn't

Dec 9, 2019, 1:21 PM

by these dumb threads, can't you

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Dec 9, 2019, 1:23 PM

He's been with one of the best coaches in college football history for 11 seasons. He's more than ready to run his own program and will be very successful.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

No Risk

Dec 9, 2019, 4:09 PM

no reward. It's the story of life.

I don't think he will sell his Clemson home.***

Dec 9, 2019, 4:15 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic