Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
1977 Clemson ND game story
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

1977 Clemson ND game story

Nov 5, 2020, 9:56 AM

We were living in rural Pa as I was working aa job there. Saw a couple Penn St games then but that isnt the story. We had driven to a nearby town to shop and had out daughter who was 7 months old then with us. I'm trying to find a station on the radio when I hear some player names and recognize its Clemson. It was ND's mutual network back then. I didnt want to chance being able to get the game at home. So instead of shopping we listened to the game from Death Valley on the car radio. We then did the shopping errands after the game

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was there that day, cool, light rain off & on

Nov 5, 2020, 10:03 AM

Vegas Ferguson wore us out in 4th quarter.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Was there also, pretty sure I sat on hill...."Slapshot"....

Nov 5, 2020, 11:30 PM

..playing at Clemson theater later that night. Great game, crowd really into it after Pell/Devine dust up....

Re: 1977 Clemson ND game story

Nov 5, 2020, 10:10 AM

I was a sophomore at Clemson in ‘77, and in the Army Reserve. We drilled that weekend, so I couldn’t watch. We were in the field training at Camp Croft in Spartanburg, so we stayed in a local armory/drill hall Saturday night. I don’t remember if it was WSPA or WLOS, but one of them replayed the game later Saturday night. I and several other Tiger fans were watching it in the dayroom, catching grief from our buddies - as I remember them saying “So, do you think it’s going to end differently this time?” (I believe that’s the first time I ever heard that line).

It was heartbreaking watching it - EVEN knowing the outcome.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Nov 5, 2020, 10:26 AM

Four of us got into the game on one ticket (long story), so we did not have seats. We walked to the very top of the North stands in the aisle up against the fence (no upper deck then). The ushers must have come up there a half dozen times during the game and told us to move ...... we never did. We were not blocking anyone's view or otherwise, causing a problem ..... at least in our minds.

I remember a lot of plays but the two big ones were Fuller (I think) fumbling on a drive in ND territory that I think would have put us up by two scores. The other was something like a 3rd and 31 that Montana hit the tight end (maybe Ken McAfee) for a first down.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 5, 2020, 6:30 PM

I believe Tracy Perry fumbled it, but McAfee caught the 3rd and 31 pass and drug a couple of our defenders the last 5-10 yds for the 1st down!

That was the first time we did the C L E M around the stadium before kick off and by the end of the 1st quarter my throat was parched. We were standing in the west end zone on the grass above the visitors locker room and I made the comment to my friends, "What I wouldn't give for a liquor drink!" I never took any in to Death Valley. The guy next to me opened his jacket and had mini bottle pouches seen in. He said, "If you buy the mixers, I got the liquor!"

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty sure it was Ken Callicut that fumbled.....

Nov 5, 2020, 11:36 PM

..but could be just my mind is a little slippery about the details in that game....

Nov 5, 2020, 11:21 AM

I was 14 years old in 1977. My uncle had season tickets in those years. He took me to a couple of home games that season but he said it was next to impossible to get me a ticket to the Notre Dame game. This game was sold out for several months. At that time it was billed the biggest home game in history. My parents and I was living near Salisbury NC which is about 35 miles from Charlotte. We could not get the Clemson Radio Network there. This game was not on TV either. So my family packed a picnic and we headed down to Kings Mountain State Park along the NC/SC state line in order to be close enough to find the game on the radio. It was a cool beautiful Fall day. I remembered how we lost the game in the 4th quarter and I believed I cried some on the way back home because we lost this huge game. LOL!

Nov 5, 2020, 12:31 PM

What I remember about the game was that we we playing great, dominating the Domers and late in the 3rd quarter-is, their coach, Dan Devine, walked out to the MIDDLE OF THE FIELD and started screaming at the referees, pointing a finger at their chests and giving them all sorts of grief. I was astounded as the refs didn't penalize him but started calling the game to their benefit, helping them eek out a close win.

At least that's how I remember it.

Nov 5, 2020, 12:47 PM

Yes and there’s the famous pic of the whiner Devine handing a flag to an official

Nov 5, 2020, 3:13 PM [ in reply to Re: 1977 Clemson ND game story ]

Dan Devine also walked out onto the field, turned to face the student section, and gave us the middle finger.

My first DV game

Nov 5, 2020, 1:03 PM

Went with my Pop, a lifelong Dome worshiper.....I secretly pulled for the Tigers. Fumbles killed us in that game. The D was so nasty that my Pop turned to me in the 3rd quarter and said, "Pal, Geezus Christopher those orange boys hit ya....looks like 14 players on D and they all will blast your ###...." He became a closet Tiger fan after that but he is proudly buried in his ND sweater and baseball hat.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 5, 2020, 1:28 PM

Great stories. This is True Tigernet! I loved listening to Jim Philips. I use to turn the TV down so I come listen to JP call the game.

Go Tigers kick Irish butt on Saturday! ????????

Message was edited by: wueagle86®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 5, 2020, 6:26 PM

It was the orange overalls game. A car load of us drove all over the 'Greater Clemson' area looking for white overalls and orange ritz dye. It was like the movie "It's a Mad Mad World." You would pull into one small town store and it was mobbed by students, so you'd dash to next.

At one of the stops somebody announced they had several at a particular store. Everyone made a dash to their cars and raced down the road. Our driver said he knew a short cut and to hang on. He drove like a Duke brother, but we beat the crowd and finally found bibs for all of us. It was just as hard to find orange dye and we ended up with tangerine. The other students got there as we were checking out, and they dashed back out.

The campus laundromat was busy that night. Good times.

Also,, it was a long walk back to the dorms after the game.

Nov 5, 2020, 11:23 PM

We were at that game and when our chartered bus from Chicago arrived at Notre Dame some Irish idiot came up to us and asked, "Just where in New York is Clemson?"

I'm not sure where my husband bought them, but we were wearing our orange overalls. :)

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic