Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Eliminate Atlantic/Coastal divisions
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Eliminate Atlantic/Coastal divisions

Dec 6, 2020, 8:53 PM

This current 2020 Covid-forced format works! What say ye?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Eliminate Atlantic/Coastal divisions

Dec 6, 2020, 9:10 PM

I could go for that ,but only if Notre Dame is forced to join full time as a football member,

What would that have to do with eliminating divisions?

Dec 6, 2020, 9:17 PM

I've heard if we go to 15 teams, they'll go to 3 five-team divisions. You would play the four in your division every year, then every other team, every other year, to make it nine league games per year!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Add ND replace WF with WV play 9 conf games eliminate div

Dec 6, 2020, 9:17 PM

Have 4 permanent opponents the rotate the other 10 on rotating 2 year bases (home & away)

15 team ACC with WV & 9 games

Permanent groups

Clemson
FSU
GT
Miami
Duke

UNC
NC St
Virginia
VT
Louisville

BC
ND
Pitt
Syracuse
WV

Clemson schedule
BC PITT VT Lou NC Mia Duke
GT FSU SC UGA AppSt

Syr WV ND UVA NCST Mia Duke
GT FSU SC OK Troy

Rivalry Week
Clemson -UofSC
FSU-FL
GT-UGA
Lou-KY
ND-Navy
UNC- NC St
VT-UVA
Pitt- WV
Duke-Miami
Syracuse-BC

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Getting rid of Wake Forest is a pipedream! They are a charter

Dec 6, 2020, 9:21 PM

member of the ACC and aren't going anywhere

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Add ND replace WF with WV play 9 conf games eliminate div

Dec 6, 2020, 9:36 PM [ in reply to Add ND replace WF with WV play 9 conf games eliminate div ]

I like the concept. I am also in favor of replacing SC with Coastal Carolina as our season ending game. I think they have earned a shot to replace a dreadful 2-8 coot team. We can tell the coots we needed a more competitive team. Playing the coots was affecting our SOS in a negative way.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Add ND replace WF with WV play 9 conf games eliminate div

Dec 6, 2020, 10:03 PM [ in reply to Add ND replace WF with WV play 9 conf games eliminate div ]

I would probably keep Wake and make their rival game against Duke. And then have ND play Miami as their rival. Probably never happen.

At this point I'd say Wake is a better football program than

Dec 6, 2020, 11:38 PM [ in reply to Add ND replace WF with WV play 9 conf games eliminate div ]

West Virginia. To me WVU brings nothing to the table and I don't want them. They are weak athletically and academically.

I honestly dont get the desire for WV. Why?

Dec 7, 2020, 3:42 PM

They bring nothing to the table. Literally nothing. You were all perfectly happy to be rid of Maryland and frankly its a very similar fanbase.

Wake Forest voted against the extra year of probation...

Dec 7, 2020, 8:40 AM [ in reply to Add ND replace WF with WV play 9 conf games eliminate div ]

forced on us by the ACC back in the 80's. No Clemson fan should ever call for them to be replaced.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Not that I am condoning trying to add West Virginia, but for

Dec 7, 2020, 8:52 AM [ in reply to Add ND replace WF with WV play 9 conf games eliminate div ]

them, it would more than make sense to join us. They HAVE to be spending an ENORMOUS amount of money in all sports traveling to those far flung Big 12 destinations each and every year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2020, 9:19 PM

I like having the top two teams. It eliminates the possibility of leaving out the 2nd best team in they are in the same division

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2020, 9:30 PM

ND is not joining. They like their national schedule.

Stay with 8 conference games. I like having an SEC opponent (in addition to SCAR) like Auburn, TAMU in recent years and UGA and LSU on future schedules. Having four OOC dates on schedule helps them to do that and maintain a good home and away balance.

Dec 6, 2020, 9:35 PM

Why are you wanting to get rid of wake forest?

Dec 6, 2020, 9:49 PM

I can't figure that out either. Personally would get rid of Duke before Wake Forest.

Dec 6, 2020, 10:42 PM

Tell ND to join the B1G. I don't want them in the ACC.

If somebody died and made me king then Cuse, BC and Pitt wouldn't be in the ACC either. But, I'd rather have them than ND.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2020, 12:12 AM

Coot been wanting me too long.

Geographically, ND makes zero sense to begin with.

Dec 7, 2020, 3:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Eliminate Atlantic/Coastal divisions ]

They belong in the Big Turd, err Big Ten.

I strongly opposed allowing ND to compete for

Dec 7, 2020, 3:56 AM

the conference title unless they agreed to full football membership after this year.

Regardless, if...and that's a mighty big if...ND were to join, then I would favor adding one more member. That member should have been WV in earlier expansions, as I believed the failure to invite them was an act of effete snobbery. Frankly, Clemson should have rallied on WV's behalf, as they are in the ACC's footprint, were longtime rivals with Pitt and would have brought some great fans. Now, as it is, they are forced to travel long distances, and the whole matter was and is a travesty.

Now, adopting an attitude of tossing out any member is not to me a stance I would take, for it would be another act of snobbery. This year's format, therefore, is both novel and fair, and I wouldn't oppose it being continued. Likewise, a return to divisional rivalries wouldn't upset me.

Great post, by the way.

If ND were to join permanently, there is no need to add a 16th

Dec 7, 2020, 8:30 AM

team! With 15 teams, they would probably split them into three 5-team divisions! Play the other four in your division every year, and play the other teams every other year...giving each team a 9 team conference schedule.

Re: I strongly opposed allowing ND to compete for

Dec 7, 2020, 8:48 AM [ in reply to I strongly opposed allowing ND to compete for ]

No to WVU. HARDPASS. It isn't even a question. Football isn't terrible but being in league with us isn't about just football... you have OOC games to scratch that itch. It is about being a peer institution. I don't want a school in which NC State looks down upon for being a bunch of idiots. I mean they are South Carolina cootish with some reason to hope. Worse, they should know better.

Louisville is not a fit for the ACC outside of basketball and they an embarrassment. WVU is even worse. Clemson folks should NOT consider WVU a "peer" institution.

Lets just say, the entire world has never used the term "UVW" and the word "gentleman" in the same sentences.

Well, maybe someone has said "That WVU gentleman is the person you want to serve Officer, but you will have to wait for the fire department." ... but I doubt it.

Dec 7, 2020, 8:37 AM

No split north/south or traditional or at a minimum ACC vs Big East.

Yes, the South will be much stronger but that has never hurt the SEC West no? And it isnt like the Atlantic hasn't been as dominant.

South
Miami
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Clemson
NC State
UNC
Duke
Wake

Nawth
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Louisville
Pitt
Cuse
BC
ND
+1

I think that adding a trophy should help bolster the norther schools. Hopefully start taking some regional steam from the B10. Personally I would take Navy (rivalry with Nawthj Schools, like ND) as well as a peer to things beyond athletics. Also getting that Maryland footprint back providing a hand to a service academy.

I hate divisions, but there are reasons it works this year

Dec 7, 2020, 9:06 AM

and might not work as well in more normal circumstances. I think with a 10 game league schedule it works well, and it might even be OK with a 9 game league schedule, but i don't think it would be great with just an 8 game schedule. You really begin to run the risk there of ties at the top where none of the teams actually played each other, and the current tie-breaker rules are pretty crappy.

If you were to switch UNC and Miami's record so that Clemson and UNC tied for 2nd place at 8-1, I'm pretty sure this is the tie-breaker that would be required to decide which team goes to Charlotte:

5. The tied team with the higher ranking by the Team Rating Score metric provided by SportSource Analytics following the conclusion of regular season games.

Fun, eh?

And it would be worse with just an 8 game league schedule.

Love it. At 14 teams (prefer ND stay indy) and with 3 annual

Dec 7, 2020, 10:57 AM

conference rivals for every program, we could play every team in the ACC 2x every four years and our main rivals (Ga Tech, NC State, and FSU) yearly with our current 8-game league schedule. It's as ideal as it gets. It also sets the stage well for ditching league championship games as a whole and replacing that round with a CFP quarterfinal game (Power 5 regular season champs + 3 at-large - top 4 seeds host).

Go Tigers!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2020, 2:06 PM

We need to end the ACC season with a 4 team play-off.

This can be done by everyone playing 7 regular season games and then an 8th game based upon seeds.

The host of the 8th game would alternate between Atlantic and Coastal divisions.

agree... eliminate divisions... it's weird that Pitt's been

Dec 7, 2020, 2:20 PM

a member since 2013 and we have yet to play at their place.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic