Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This seems like why movies have been getting dumber:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

This seems like why movies have been getting dumber:

Apr 8, 2014, 5:41 PM

They have to get the most amount of people (moreso: kids) so they have to go for the lowest common denominator. Less films, and broader in appeal = seemingly dumber films. (my interpretation)

(Interesting stuff)
http://iveybusinessreview.ca/blogs/lbolukhba2010/2014/02/28/the-future-of-film-i-what-happened-to-summer-2013/

The summary:
"Journalists and analysts stressing about summer losses, swelling budgets and audience fatigue are missing the picture. The tent-pole film strategy has never been about theatrical returns, but generating lucrative ancillary revenue streams. In recent years, however, studios have looked to transform these streams into a multimedia sales platform by consolidating audiences and expanding the narrative canvas. Though this has the potential to generate immense returns for a studio’s parent company, this gold rush threatens to collapse industry returns by fragmenting audiences and flooding ancillary channels. Studios can mitigate some of this risk by pushing further into B2B revenue diversification and investigating new consumer models (e.g. experience bundles). However, as is increasingly the case on the silver screen, a series of brand-name players seem dead set on a spectacular showdown. Audiences should be thrilled."

tl;dr: Theatrical runs aren't meant to equal profit (just recoup costs), they are used to gain mass audiences from which to build a platform of ancillary revenue (think what marvel is doing). This will probably saturate the market in a few years and come crashing down.

tl;dr;dr: movie no make money at theater, make money with merchandising and licensing.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

somewhat re:lated...

Apr 8, 2014, 5:45 PM

I spent the day yesterday on the set of Mockingjay pt 2.

Now I know why movie budgets can be what they be.

horry sheet.

Interesting. Care to elaborate?

Apr 8, 2014, 5:53 PM

or post pigs of Jlaw? (I'm assuming you went to do exactly that? Why else would a grown man go to the set of a teen girl fantasy movie? ;) )

i tried....if I wasn't dealing with an old phone temporarily

Apr 8, 2014, 6:03 PM

i would gotten a nice bent-over shot while she was rummaging through a cooler for gatorade (she likes blue, BTW)

my cousin is AD, and he told me to come hang out for a day when I could. Yesterday was that day.

Got to check out a lot...saw them blow up some #### too. that was cool.

And Evan Ross is in it, and was in a scene that I watched. His mom was there watching too...that might've been the coolest part honestly....because his mom is Diana Ross.

but it was a small shoot, and there were still 100+ people involved, at least.

watching Game of Thrones from Sunday, and realized that I

Apr 8, 2014, 10:16 PM

also saw Natalie Dormer yesterday...

but she looked like this, but worse, so I didn't really put it together...

I actually like her looking like that for some reason...

Apr 8, 2014, 10:27 PM

fits her "pretty, but in a weird way" thing she has going on.

Does seem like you saw everything one would want to see if they were visiting a movie set. Did you see Francis Lawrence?

yeah, but briefly....he was up on a platform out of sight

Apr 8, 2014, 10:32 PM

the entire time except for when they broke for lunch. I spent most of the time after lunch (which I ate w/ the rest of the crew in the trailers...again, $$$$ to feed 100's of people like THAT every day) watching the setup & subsequent explosions....so I FL might've been more out & about while I wasn't there..

Natalie Dormer didn't look anywhere as (weirdly) pretty yesterday as she does in that 2nd pic...plus the shaved part of her head had some weird floral/vine tattoo

he and my cousin went for sushi last night after the shoot***

Apr 8, 2014, 10:33 PM

I would have tried to invite myself to that dinner...

Apr 8, 2014, 10:38 PM

and that's why I would never be invited to a movie set.

I was doing what I could to get invited back!

Apr 8, 2014, 10:41 PM

might try to go next week, but doubtful. they're off to europe for 2 months after that. With all the filming that's been and will be going on down here, I'm sure I'll have some other opportunities down the line....SheGUAR's doing extras work there next week w/ Donald Sutherland. THAT'd be cool

I get the sense Sutherland is a crabby old man on set

Apr 8, 2014, 11:03 PM

I guess your wife will get a chance to find that out.

Video games are the same way.

Apr 8, 2014, 5:54 PM

People are afraid to take risks because of $multi-million budgets and costs to keep up in the arms race. So people make very "safe" games that are boring and easy so people will buy them and have a purely positive experience.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The author thinks it'll be the next area we see a change:

Apr 8, 2014, 6:10 PM

in terms of movie studios targeting it...

"Second, we’ll see the major studios investing heavily in the most underdeveloped ancillary medium: video games. Over the past decade, franchise platforms such as Harry Potter and Transformers continually dominated the box office, DVD sales and their original product categories (books and toys). However, only a handful of series have meaningfully penetrated the video games industry, which generates twice the revenue of motion pictures and holds immense storytelling potential. This failure appears to stem more from the sub-standard quality of movie-based video games, rather than consumer interest. This is likely tied to the fact that studios typically license rights to the highest-paying development house or contract out their production, rather than developing them internally. Going forward, I expect the major film studios will begin building out their video gaming and apps divisions and establish a more cross-medium, synchronized approach to storytelling."

I will say in video games the independent game arena is fast becoming a major competitor to the AAA titles which parallels the independent film rise of the 1990s.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic