Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It's a good time for a bye week ............
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 403

It's a good time for a bye week ............

Nov 9, 2020, 9:46 AM

<###### async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8">

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Us spoiled fans are hoping for healthier players, a coach

Nov 9, 2020, 10:01 AM

who realizes his flaws with clock/end of game management and an offensive coordinator who realizes we need to throw it deep more often and figure out a better 3rd and 1 play call (granted he did start calling short passes in the 2H)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Trigger warning.....I’m going 10/10 mangey.

Nov 9, 2020, 10:14 AM

We are at the highest levels of football now. Possibly the best program in the country at the moment, and if not, definitely top 2 or 3.

It’s time to quit hoping that our OC can grow into his role and learn from his mistakes. We’ve won a lot with him, but I’d argue that few of those were because of him. When we lose or struggle, 75% of the time he has a heavy hand in the game becoming a loss or struggle. His ability to make in-game adjustments is minimal. His play calling is erratic on a good day. He continually sticks with game plans that aren’t working, and worse, randomly deviates from game plans that ARE working.

Yep, DJ had a killer night throwing it on Sat. Wonderful. At the same time, abysmal play calling killed momentum o third downs, and that overtime play calling when he expected DJ to wait on a long developing play with a line we knew was weak (two plays in a row) ultimately was the difference in the game.

Just venting because Dabo will never, ever make a change there and he’s a helluva recruiter, but man, it’s maddening.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Absolutely agree...only put the "hope" caveat

Nov 9, 2020, 10:41 AM

with TE as obviously they aren't going to make a change mid-season. Unfortunately I think our only hope is that it works out for us like Chad Morris where another school lures him away with a head coaching offer as I don't see Dabo ever making a move unless we started losing a lot of games (tough with ACC being so bad)

Obviously I'm really glad we have Dabo here but he does have his flaws and resistance to making change and his refusal to see how poor his end of game decision making is will cost us here and there. But I went to school during the Bowden "I hope we go 8-4 and go the Chick-Fil-A bowl" years so I'll try to not be such a spoiled fan :)

I suspect Dabo's strategy in this case would be similar to a

Nov 9, 2020, 10:45 AM

church wanting to replace their preacher.

You don't fire the old preacher, you tell all the other churches in the region how good he is.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo is a master leader...

Nov 9, 2020, 10:53 AM

this is what I think works against him at times...

1) Loyalty is really big on his list. He thinks people have been loyal to him throughout his life and he desires to be loyal to others.

2) He has such a desire to see everyone around him accomplish great things that he almost gives them an infinite leash even when it becomes clear that person has hit his/her lid. I think we see that with how he handles players too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Truer words hath n'aer been spake.

Nov 9, 2020, 11:01 AM

It's why things happen like Stoudt starting over DW for 4 games despite all signs pointing to the contrary, and why we seem to have a 1:5 ratio on former teammate's sons who play for us working out.

On the flipside, it's why a guy like Venables doesn't seem to even consider jetting for greener pastures and why I don't spend a minute worrying about Dabo up and leaving in the middle of the night for the sweet gig du jour.

Like anything, you've gotta take the bad with the good, and there's far, far more good. It helps me to deal with Dabo's overly-loyal tendencies when I realize that the antithesis of that is Lane Kiffin.

Butt hey! Check out Colin Powell suddenly turning into

Nov 9, 2020, 10:45 AM [ in reply to Trigger warning.....I’m going 10/10 mangey. ]

a baller. Amiright?

LOL, suddenly.

Nov 9, 2020, 10:46 AM

I remember back when you guys were gooing over CJ Spiller and I was saying, "just wait, there's a kid named Powell coming up the ranks".

Ima double up on mangey....I disagree...

Nov 9, 2020, 11:09 AM [ in reply to Trigger warning.....I’m going 10/10 mangey. ]

I think OC did a good job of adjusting against ND. It was clear we weren't going to be able to run up the middle. The ND front 7 played a heck of a game. We generated a lot of offense by going to the edges and I thought the play calling got pretty creative. He kept enough inside runs to keep the Def honest.

Their LBs were coming in hard on every run/play fake. I think the biggest difference not having TL playing was not being able to run the RPO game a lot. Had TL been playing we would have RPO'd to the slant from the slot or to the TE until their LBs had to play run/pass equally. That, in turn would have made it easier on the OL and opened up the run more. I sure as heck don't know the details of DJ from practice, but it sure makes sense to me that you wouldn't want a true freshman in his 2nd start and 1st on the road to run a lot of RPOs, as that adds another quick read to his plate.

Also, we were essentially down to 3 main wide outs of Powell, Rogers, and Spector (maybe Williams a little). How many deep routes can you effectively run with Rogers and Spector? IMO, not having a healthy Ngata and/or Ladson really hurts our ability to stretch it out in the 2nd half especially.

I will say, that we got too conservative with the play calling on when we had the ball with 2:?? on the clock. There were keying on the run even more than normal. We weren't going to get a 1st down running. We tried to run wide and ETN went out of bounds. We only made them use 1 TO. I would have loved a little play-action there and DJ was making good enough decisions to trust him.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DJ is not the runner TL is

Nov 9, 2020, 11:15 AM

TL woulda pulled out and burned them from crashing on ETN.

You're talking about on the zone read?....

Nov 9, 2020, 11:16 AM

I agree.

Yup, several times DJ handed the ball off when he shouldn't***

Nov 9, 2020, 11:41 AM [ in reply to DJ is not the runner TL is ]

Their LBs were definitely coming at us all night, which

Nov 9, 2020, 11:30 AM [ in reply to Ima double up on mangey....I disagree... ]

makes me wonder why it felt like we basically put our screen game in mothballs Saturday night.

Absolutely agree on going way too conservative

Nov 9, 2020, 11:40 AM [ in reply to Ima double up on mangey....I disagree... ]

In the NFL it makes a lot more sense to run the ball 3 times and punt it back as it's so hard to go down the field with no timeouts but it's way too easy in college to move the ball with first down timeouts.

In a situation like that - you need to ice the game and get the first down even at the risk of an incomplete pass. Run play action, boot out the QB who can run or complete a pass as the D sells out on the run. This has happened several, several times over the years where we give the ball back and put our D in a position to have to ice the game and it finally burned us.

Happened against BC too, if I remember correctly***

Nov 9, 2020, 11:44 AM

It's happened a lot over the years***

Nov 9, 2020, 12:22 PM

if we can blame Tommy for not giving the ball to Reggie

Nov 9, 2020, 12:43 PM

we can definitely blame Dabo for getting conservative on offense at the end of the game

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

given the fact that we could not run the ball

Nov 9, 2020, 11:12 AM [ in reply to Us spoiled fans are hoping for healthier players, a coach ]

and had an awesome true freshman QB playing a great game and scoring 33 points in regulation, I think our offense did well

Now our defense was another story

Sure Tony might have made some poor calls but I think he gets too much grief from the couch OCs. The next OC is not always better so be careful on what you wish for unless you think Streeter is the dude

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

I still don't understand why the clock didn't run after

Nov 9, 2020, 12:28 PM [ in reply to Us spoiled fans are hoping for healthier players, a coach ]

the declined penalty.

I also don't understand how they ruled ETN out of bounds when his knee hit inbounds. The same on Book's one run to the edge. Both of those were in bounds. Notre Dame shouldn't have had enough time at the end of the game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Re: It's a good time for a bye week ............

Nov 9, 2020, 10:49 AM

I can't wait.

The coots may be on a bye week too ............

Nov 9, 2020, 10:51 AM

As in "Bye, Mustcramp"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

If that happens who will be the next savior down there? ******

Nov 9, 2020, 12:11 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Congratulations on your 87,000 TU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nov 9, 2020, 12:39 PM

celtic_tiger®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you and boobies for you for pointing ......

Nov 9, 2020, 12:51 PM

that out. No pun intended.

https://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=2032904

Me like.***

Nov 9, 2020, 1:37 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Turkish GP. LFC vs LCFC.***

Nov 9, 2020, 12:44 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Other than Monaco of course the Turkish GP ....

Nov 9, 2020, 12:54 PM

is my fav track. Comes on early at 0500. I’m awake then anyway.

wait - whut? Scratch what APM said about the Turkish GP.

Nov 9, 2020, 1:39 PM

Gonna hafta pull an Obed and watch the replay.

Obed®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 28
| visibility 403
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic