Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Fellas, could use some T's and P's today for Pops please.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Fellas, could use some T's and P's today for Pops please.

Sep 29, 2020, 8:03 AM

My Dad's 70 and hasn't taken care of himself for many years. Dude's on two knee replacements, one hip, a pacemaker, and has a spinal fusion and a synthetic disc in his spine. Ironic, because he was a brilliant physician and totally knew better, but such are the complexities of human behaviors I guess.

Anyway, he had triple bypass surgery on Thursday. The cardiac part of the surgery went well, but recovery has been a mo-fo. I got down to Greenville on Sunday, and was fortunate to be able to be with him yesterday. Mentally he's like a stroke patient...just in a daze, barely opens his eyes, and while thankfully he knows who I am, he doesn't know where he is or why he's there.

I've been reading a lot---it sounds like cognitive impairment is common after bypass surgery, and his docs seem to think that he is just taking a while to clear the anesthesia and post-op pain meds from his system, but they're still checking for neuro issues as well.

Would just appreciate any good thoughts of prayers for him to have some progress sooner than later....while he's always had a body that was thirty years older than actual age for some time now, mentally he's one of the smartest people I've ever known and probably one of the kindest too, and it's hard as #### seeing him like this. Many thanks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You got them. I hope all goes well. *******

Sep 29, 2020, 8:05 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Done, hope he gets better quickly!***

Sep 29, 2020, 8:08 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sure thing, bud***

Sep 29, 2020, 8:08 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

vibes your way man***

Sep 29, 2020, 8:19 AM

You and your dad get all the vibes today.***

Sep 29, 2020, 8:21 AM

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Will do!***

Sep 29, 2020, 8:23 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Fellas, could use some T's and P's today for Pops please.

Sep 29, 2020, 8:27 AM

Yep, Ts and Ps to the Obeds!

Done....

Sep 29, 2020, 8:30 AM

Praying for your Dad. Get well soon.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Done

Sep 29, 2020, 8:30 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You got it

Sep 29, 2020, 8:33 AM

If he has one of those things that you breathe to try and lift a ring or plastic beads encourage him to use it.

It helped my dad clear his head

Hope he’s on the mend soon.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

You got it man...been there....

Sep 29, 2020, 8:33 AM

and I know it's hard.

Praying it's the drugs causing the mental issues and they wear off soon.

Prayers for your Dad and fam. That happened to my Dad.

Sep 29, 2020, 8:45 AM

bypass surgery went well, but then it was like he suddenly had advanced dementia. Had to put him in a nursing home when the hospital released him because my mom couldn't control him. They finally started taking him off of the tons of meds he was taking for Parkinson's and other issues, and he cleared up. So it can happen, hope it works out for him.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lifting him and you up, my friend***

Sep 29, 2020, 8:48 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dads are supposed to be bullet-proof

Sep 29, 2020, 8:49 AM

until they aren't. And that last piece is hard as hell to see.

Consider it done Obed®

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sent. Praying he gets well soon

Sep 29, 2020, 9:06 AM

He sounds a lot like my dad.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Fellas, could use some T's and P's today for Pops please.

Sep 29, 2020, 9:38 AM

T's and P's. Could just be good old fashioned delirium. Keeping a normal sleep-wake cycle is the best medicine for that. Like you seem to have discovered, "pump head" is a chronic phenomenon that affects a ton of people after a run on the bypass pump.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You got ‘em.

Sep 29, 2020, 9:49 AM

Good that you can be there with him.

Tees and Peas bruh. And yes, cognitive impairment and

Sep 29, 2020, 9:59 AM

depression are common after cardiac interventions.

At the VA I used to do a half-day a week in the cardiac clinic just following up post-surgery on these two things.

Should get better. Pray it does.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Update from the hospital....great day.

Sep 29, 2020, 3:06 PM

Really appreciate all the prayers, whether Christian, Jewish, Buddhist, Hindu, or Rastafarian, as well as all atheist and agnostic thoughts, chants, and dances. I think they've worked.

Had my first actual conversation with Dad this morning since pre-op on Thursday. Up until now it had been one word responses, if at all, with 50% of them making sense and 75 percent of them with eyes closed or rolled back. On Sunday he thought one of his nurses was Donald Trump and he kept asking them why they were there.

This morning I got a good old "hey son" when I arrived and then we talked about where he was and what had gone on, with some enjoyable discussion of Tenn beating SC again. Also he was in the ICU, so no bathroom, only bedside toilet, so we had much merrymaking about how he was about to destroy the place with his first deuce in 5 days, and I called the nurse to let them handle that and then left and went to lunch for an hour.

Anyways, thanks again as always, and it's good to have my Dad's personality back again. He's got a ways to go physically, and he's got some tough decisions to make on if he wants to be healthier or not once he gets out of here, but for now I'm very, very grateful.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great news!***

Sep 30, 2020, 10:51 AM

You got it...

Sep 29, 2020, 3:13 PM

Prayers for comfort and quick recovery.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Prayers are with you man

Sep 30, 2020, 11:19 AM

I told my family to pray for a fellow tiger net friend.

go popa obed***

Sep 29, 2020, 5:33 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You got it. Prayers for his improved recovery

Sep 30, 2020, 10:43 AM

And you and your families sanity.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Done.***

Sep 30, 2020, 11:12 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Every man is my superior, in that I may learn something from him."

On the way...***

Sep 30, 2020, 11:20 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic