Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Update: Surgery postponed due to Dr.'s office ineptitude.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 2,178

Update: Surgery postponed due to Dr.'s office ineptitude.

Aug 27, 2020, 11:17 AM

I was disturbed at 8:30 am by a call from the Surgery Center where my hand surgery was scheduled for tomorrow. I was calmly informed that, since they had not received a release from my cardiologist, the surgery would have to be postponed. I, not calmly at all, informed them that I had never been told that I needed to GET a release from my cardiologist for this surgery. It was to be done under local anesthesia anyway, so am totally unclear as to why it would be required. It was never mentioned at any time during the HOUR AND A HALF preregistration process I went through at the surgery center earlier in the week. Nor was it mentioned YESTERDAY, when I called to confirm the time of the surgery.

So, I frantically drove over to the cardiologist's office this morning after getting that phone call, told them the situation, and was then informed that "Oh, no, they have to REQUEST a release, fill out a form that we have, and Dr. xxxx never fills them out immediately, anyway. No chance of you getting it done today. THEY have to request it, the patient cannot do it."

Well, I can assure you that my heart is plenty strong enough to survive hand surgery, because it has already survived several hours now of my blood pressure being through the roof, and murderous thoughts abounding.

No. 1) Why can't people do their jobs right?

No. 2) When they have obviously failed at No. 1, why can't they try to go the extra mile and minimize the effects of their own ineptitude?

Not a happy camper right now, having to live with this pain in my hand for longer than planned, and now have this additional huge pain in the buttocks on top of it. :( :( :(

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Years ago one of my kids had to have surgery. We went to a

Aug 27, 2020, 11:22 AM

a doctor in Clemson. His office was one big cluster every time we went there. After the third mistake we decided to check out someone else and got a great referral for a doctor at Hillcrest. Best decision we ever made. Not long after the surgery we read in the paper about the first doctor getting arrested.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Update: Surgery postponed due to Dr.'s office ineptitude.

Aug 27, 2020, 11:23 AM

Bummer, but have to say I am not surprised. Hopefully you can get it straightened out and expedite your next appointment. Pretty obvious they dropped the ball .... big time ...... but I wouldn't wait for an apology!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am very sorry to hear that. There really is no excuse

Aug 27, 2020, 11:28 AM

for the first party not to get that request to your cardiologist when they scheduled the appointment.

Make sure you mention that in their "post-surgery" survey. And, you can also add to their ratings online.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Maybe...

Aug 27, 2020, 11:33 AM

the office staff at the surgical center is still a bit understaffed due to COIVID and the person who is generally responsible for that type of thing is still furloughed.

Not making excuses for them. Someone still has to do it, but maybe there is a feasible explanation.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

More likely in this case, the left hand does not know what

Aug 27, 2020, 11:38 AM

the right hand is doing, so to speak. Large private practice surgery center located in the left wing of a two wing building, with the regular Dr. offices in the right wing. Apparently the communications got scrambled over having to cover such a vast distance.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 27, 2020, 2:14 PM

this is the result of people wanting to sit at a computer and if they cant click on it they arent going to get off their behind and find out what is wrong. they do these type procedures all the time and they know the drill backward and forward. I've had orthopedic folks schedule me for aquatic therapy at a location where they dont even have a pool. Just click your mouse and leave it for some other smuck to straighten out

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 27, 2020, 4:37 PM

Don't blame your Cardiologist. He takes on liability when he clears you for surgery. That's what this is all about. Transfer of liability. I wouldn't sign one of those without examining the patient in an office visit. To expect the Cardiologist to drop everything at your request and accept liability for your surgery is just not reasonable on a moment's notice. You must have had an EKG done that came back abnormal, that lead to the change in plans from your surgeon.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, that is not the case. I had an EKG done less than a

Aug 27, 2020, 6:09 PM

month ago, and it was perfect. The only reason I am under care of a cardiologist is double history of family heart issues, and personal triple bypass surgery five years ago. The continuing care is preemptive.

The surgery center dropped the ball, but the cardiologist office exacerbated the situation by offering no help. Since you sound like a Medico, your Hippocratic Oath says "First, Do No Harm." I would be willing to bet that on some molecular level, I burst several blood vessels due to insanely high blood pressure over this fiasco. Sounds like harm to me.

And, the REST of the story is, just now got a call from the surgery center. Cardiologist office just faxed them the release. So, it certainly COULD have been done earlier this morning, if they had been willing to upset their routine just a little to accommodate a patient.

Do no harm?

Aug 27, 2020, 9:05 PM

I guess this now means Dr’s are responsible for how you react to adverse circumstances? Why would you expect another physician in an unrelated specialty drop everything they’re doing to accommodate you? Are they supposed to make other patients wait for you, THE patient? Maybe they were taking care of someone with more pressing issues like a heart vs hand? Mistakes happen and it’s unfortunate it happened. Maybe the cardiology office was supposed to contact you and they dropped the ball? Maybe they did mention something to you and you dismissed it as unnecessary since it’s just local anesthesia. Was your reaction to a postponed elective surgery worth the “molecular” damage sustained today?

You make an awful lot of judgements for someone who knows

Aug 27, 2020, 9:27 PM

absolutely nothing about my situation. I am not omnipotent like you obviously are. Please feel free to place me on your ignore list in the future.

Re: Do no harm?

Aug 28, 2020, 8:14 AM [ in reply to Do no harm? ]

Dr. offices have become a 3 ring circus with the clowns as the ring masters.

Unfortunately, this is typical any more. The surgeons and other

Aug 27, 2020, 8:22 PM

DR's involved may be excellent and highly skilled. But the people that do the mundane stuff like administration and whatever are not. Similar to any other paper-pushing job... it's entirely possible that they have the IQ of a baked potato. I could tell you quite a few nightmare stories of my dealings with hospital and insurance staff. And most people reading this could as well. Good luck.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Replies: 12
| visibility 2,178
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic