Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Unrealistic Expectation
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 3,207

Unrealistic Expectation

Oct 27, 2013, 7:37 PM

I understand. I am a Clemson Fan and every year I tell myself that I won't get carried away with the hype. But naturally I get swept up and my emotions get the best of me. My mood on fall weekends is in the hands of 63 (18-22) yr old young men. Of course in the moment, I never see them as young men. I like to build them up in my mind as infallible warriors that i can vicariously live through.

After being on this board for some time, I feel like i'm not the only tiger fan that does this... My guess is like many of you I have unrealistic expectation for this team. I remember being excited when we would be ranked in the low 20's and make it to the gator bowl in 2001. I remember being excited when we beat ##### 63-17 to go 8-4 and got an invitation to the Peach Bowl where we beat a top 10 Tennessee team. I remember going to gameday in atlanta screaming national championship in 2007, only to watch our boys get crushed by an unranked Alabama team game one.

I think its amazing how far this program has come in the past 5 yrs. Bottom line is this program has turned a corner with Dabo. We are a solid top ten program. We haven't been a top 10 program since the 80's. We have three Atlantic divison titles and one ACC title in the last four yrs. We have double digit wins totals the last two years and are well on our way to do it again this year. We are recruiting top 10 classes with consistency. This is a program we can all be proud.

I agree it sucks we are out of the ACC title and National title race, but I'm very proud of our guys. I feel very grateful that Dabo is our coach and look forward to watch our program continue to succeed. But like many of you, I need to remember to keep my expectations realistic. Winning a national Championship is incredibly difficult. I look forward to that happening again for us one day, but in the meantime and look forward to fully supporting Dabo and these players. GO TIGERS!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Unrealistic Expectation

Oct 27, 2013, 7:39 PM

Well said
dido

Yup***

Oct 27, 2013, 7:42 PM

well said! It is VERY easy to get swept up in the glitz and

Oct 27, 2013, 7:44 PM

glamor of it all.

We would never have been #3 had we not been lucky with our schedule, by opening with and beating #5 UGA. We rose fast and were so giddy to be "up there" that we let the excitement of NUMBER THREE make us feel like we were about to be playing for the National title.

We also know that year in and year out, the Atlantic Division is always going to be decided by our game with FSU. We also know (if we really use our brains) that we are not going to win it every year. But if we are competitive every year then we have a great shot at it. As long as we beat FSU. (Does anyone remember the days (i do!) when beating FSU was only dream? It's not a dream anymore. It's a reality. We have done it and we will do it again!).

The best part about this team is that we still have an amazing season ahead of us. So we aren't going to play for the ACC title... but we can get a BCS bid and we can be 11-1 in the regular season. WE CAN BEAT THE CHICKENS!!!! There is still so much to play for :D

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Oct 27, 2013, 7:44 PM

Well put

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 27, 2013, 8:25 PM

Alabama says it's not hard to win National Championships. Agree with you on most things...just need to beat the coots soon ..LIKE THIS YEAR !

Unfair comparison

Oct 27, 2013, 8:50 PM

Alabama has lost to LSU and Texas A&M in the last two season's and have gone on to the NCgame. Plus, bama was one offensive play away from winning the SEC championship and getting into the NC game last yr. There is a luck element in the road to a national championship formula and although they are a well coached team that plays great. They also get a lot of breaks

The task at had must be to re-align the axis of FB...

Oct 27, 2013, 8:53 PM

...power in the state of South Carolina.

The chickens must be defeated.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Not to sound like an after-the-fact prognosticator, ... But

Oct 27, 2013, 9:08 PM

I never thought this was a national championship team. Too many holes. Safety, running back, even reciever position is not what it was last year. That said, am I pleased with what Dabo has done and will do. Best era of Clemson football since Danny, may surpass Danny one day.

10 wins and win over coots would be a good season.

Re: Not to sound like an after-the-fact prognosticator, ... But

Oct 27, 2013, 9:22 PM

I'd love to see Clemson win the rest of their games this year. (including a BCS bowl game and especially South Carolina)

Then recruit as many 5 star O-linemen as possible,
2 big/fast 5 star RBs and a 5 star 6-4 (or taller) mobile QB.

And lose the purple and replace it with black and market the black stripe as well as the paw.

Dude, give it a rest.

Oct 28, 2013, 6:40 PM

If you want black in your unis go pull for the Coots. Our colors are orange and purple.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

What a crock. Clemson has everything to compete regularly

Oct 27, 2013, 9:26 PM

for a national championship. Pell & Ford proved that and it's easier to win today than than. We lack the will from the top to fulfill our potential. We lost that when Atchley & McClellan retired and the board changes in the 90s. Otherwise we could & should be a perennial top 10 program.

Re: What a crock. Clemson has everything to compete regularly

Oct 27, 2013, 9:29 PM

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! post of the yesr!

We r a perennial top 10 program.

Oct 28, 2013, 7:51 AM [ in reply to What a crock. Clemson has everything to compete regularly ]

and we have competed for a NC in the last three seasons. It just that it hasn't happen. My point is more so that everyone wants to fire Dabo and revamp the team after one bad lost. I think that the expectation of win NC or bust is unrealistic. You should relax more and realize just how great of a program we have right now!!

This post demonstrates an amazing blindness to reality.

Oct 28, 2013, 5:49 PM [ in reply to What a crock. Clemson has everything to compete regularly ]

Reality Check ... we cannot do the things today that were done back then.

To be where we are today without doing those things is a huge testament to the staff we have in place.

Re: What a crock. Clemson has everything to compete regularly

Oct 28, 2013, 6:05 PM [ in reply to What a crock. Clemson has everything to compete regularly ]

Hopefully, one day, you run out of IP addresses.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Oct 27, 2013, 9:45 PM

It was 2008 when we got smoked by Bama and they were ranked number 24 coming into that game. Might be time for some Aricept, and your excuse making is pathetic Bowdenism at it's best. How are you going to feel about losing 5 in a row to the chickens?

Better than a ####### chicken no matter what the outcome.***

Oct 28, 2013, 6:17 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 28, 2013, 9:01 AM

I do not think it's unrealistic to expect our offensive line to block Maryland and our dbs get within 15 yards of a reciever!

Edisto - I'm amazed at your comment

Oct 28, 2013, 9:29 AM

That is nowhere near realistic. For all of Clemson's attributes, the fact is we are in a small state and Clemson has to share the state's talent with another D-1 football program. There is barely enough D-1 talent in SC for one D-1 school, much less two....and then you have to consider all the other top programs that come into our state to steal top talent.

Clemson does not have near the advantages that say Georgia or Texas have....both of those schools are in heavily populated talent rich states and are the premier football program in their states.....both schools offer great academics, facilities and towns.....those are two schools that should compete for NC's every year but for whatever reason are incredible underachievers.

The Clemson staff recruits at a very high level considering the disadvantage of state's size and the competition in the state. Your comment makes it sound like what Dabo has done is not difficult, when in actuality this level of success hasn't been seen in 30 years.

I can think of only 3 schools that should be in the NC hunt every year.....Texas, Georgia and Southern Cal....they are all in heavily populated, talent rich states and are their state's premier football programs. I wouldn't even include Bama on that list because that state is the size of SC and they have to compete with Auburn for talent...additionally, there is nothing special about a degree from Bama whereas UGA, UT and So. Cal are all highly regarded academically.

Clemson has similar features to these schools but the clear and easy path to having a top 5 or even a top 10 recruiting class is not one of them. The coaches at UGA and Texas can get a top 10 class just by falling out of bed.

Well said!***

Oct 28, 2013, 5:14 PM

..:: ru4god2 ::..

One Expectation

Oct 28, 2013, 6:21 PM

Beat the coots. 2 out of every 3 years at least. Football life has not been quite the same since we owned them 5+ years ago.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 28, 2013, 6:43 PM

Guilty as charged! Well said. Go tigers

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where we disagree

Oct 28, 2013, 8:04 PM

1) Dabo is the one who has set these expectations, even after getting trucked by FSU.
2) We are not a top ten PROGRAM. We are more like a top twenty program. Top ten programs don't get tooled by their in-state rival four in a row, don't get taken to the woodshed the way we have in recent years, don't lead the nation (or so it seems) in chunk plays given up (even against SCSU), don't have marginal OL's year end year out.
3) Dabo is a huge improvement over Bowden but he ain't the mini-god you (and others) make him out to be. I like Dabo but I'm not convinced he will take this program where it should be. He is a good recruiter but Morris has made the biggest difference at Clemson. And keep in mind, we are paying ridiculous money for him and BV for which Dabo has been the reaping the rewards of this major investement.

Part of the sting (both good and bad) is the level of play in the conference. Most detractors of Dabo focus only on a few benchmark games as to where we are as a program: FSU, UGA, USuC, bowl game, perhaps a few others as well. Most supporters look at WFU, Syracuse, MD, NCSU, fill in the blank as part of their overall assessment of Dabo. That's a big delta to deal with and gives both sides "ammunition".

I get that we are much better than pre-Dabo and I think everyone is appreciative of that FACT, even the ardent anti-Dabo crowd. however, this program has a ways to go to be elite. Is Dabo the one to get us there? I think that is where there is a major difference in opinion on this board and fans in general.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 3,207
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic