Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We gotta get into the SEC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

We gotta get into the SEC

Feb 6, 2013, 9:57 AM

Save the lecture about ESPN, etc. The fact of the matter is they're getting ALL of the recruits now. Teams like Clemson and FSU will make the investment into football, but it's tough to think we're going to get a major investment into football from a major chunk of our conference. Louisville will help, but honestly...there's no way Wake, Duke, NC State, Virginia, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, or BC are going to put up the big money to try to compete with the big boys.

Meanwhile, regardless of what may be going on behind the scenes, Auburn and Ole Miss are cleaning up today.

We need to leave the ACC.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Eff that. They want to be like us.***

Feb 6, 2013, 9:58 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

You heard Cheesedik.

Feb 6, 2013, 10:02 AM

"Teams are running 80 and 90 plays on offense so you're gonna need a lot of defensive linemen."

I'd rather be the team that runs 90 plays on offense than the one that runs 90 on defense.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You heard Cheesedik.

Feb 6, 2013, 11:36 AM

Makes sense to me!

Yeah, every thing you said was true. I agree 100%.

Feb 6, 2013, 10:00 AM

Not.

You don't plant Orchids among weeds.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wrong...our class is better than 3/4 SEC***

Feb 6, 2013, 10:01 AM

Re: We gotta get into the SEC

Feb 6, 2013, 10:02 AM

Its hard to disagree. Compare Auburn and Clemson... Clemson has a lake, Auburn is in the SEC.

You put Clemson in the SEC this year, we probably get Lawson and Adams, maybe RN too.

Yeah, I know what you mean...

Feb 6, 2013, 10:04 AM

my mind is cluttered with idle speculations sometimes too.

My thoughts exactly....

Feb 6, 2013, 10:04 AM [ in reply to Re: We gotta get into the SEC ]

as good as we do recruiting, we'd be even better if in the SEC.

We even lost Robinson bc of the SEC hype.

Why be an armpit school to land recruits.

Feb 6, 2013, 10:07 AM [ in reply to Re: We gotta get into the SEC ]

We do pretty good keeping the standard right where it is.

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

Unfortunately it is not going to happen, we are stuck*****

Feb 6, 2013, 1:08 PM [ in reply to Re: We gotta get into the SEC ]

Or use this next year to show that we are every bit the

Feb 6, 2013, 10:05 AM

equal of any SEC school by beating them on the field and making a run at a National Championship. Screw the SEC, and the ACC for that matter. It isn't about the conference if you win on the field.

Re: Or use this next year to show that we are every bit the

Feb 6, 2013, 11:19 AM

True, but whether we like it or not, the landscape is changing. Conference branding is becoming a supplement to the program's individual brand. It's becoming the destination for top recruits.

Real world example: in the field of biotechnology, there are two main clusters which rule the rest: Boston and Silicon Valley. Are there other great areas for biotechnology (like Raleigh and San Diego, among others)? Sure. But the best minds and funding goes to Boston or SV.

Similarly, it's possible to successful outside of the SEC obviously. However the majority of super successful programs--such as Texas, Oklahoma, Southern Cal, and Ohio State--are national brands. Clemson isn't. Having the SEC badge on our jerseys would potentially mean Lawson and Adams are Clemson Tigers right now.

I admit, I was probably overreacting witrh this thread fresh off the Adams loss, but SOMETHING needs to be done about our football program, whether it be leaving the ACC, or trying to force others into making serious investments.

Feb 6, 2013, 12:09 PM

"I admit, I was probably overreacting witrh this thread fresh off the Adams loss, but SOMETHING needs to be done about our football program, whether it be leaving the ACC, or trying to force others into making serious investments."

Something has to be done about our program that went 11-2 and beat two out of three SEC teams last year, and is having a great recruiting day?

Get over it. We aren't in the SEC. We don't need to be. Ten years from now the SEC might be a shadow of its current self. You never know. Leaving the ACC would in and of itself be a disaster unless the SEC did come a callin'.

null

Feb 6, 2013, 12:38 PM

I'm thinking about the long-term. Again, I think I was overreacting a bit, but people complain about the SEC-bias on channels like ESPN...and this signing day is showing just how much love the SEC is getting from the recruits. 7 of the 14 teams in the SEC are ranked in the top 11 recruiting classes. That's absurd.

I think if we're not careful, the rich will get richer to the point where a 5-star in a Southern state will rarely land outside of the SEC.

My ideal path wouldn't be to go to the SEC, it'd be the resurrection of some of our ACC programs (VTech and Miami, along with the addition of Louisville)...but I feel like as long as Swofford is in charge, he'll always try to direct the conference towards hoops.

no way

Feb 6, 2013, 10:18 AM

Sec fans have ruined that thougt for me. i will never ride the coattails of bammer. Yes we would benefit from it but would it really be worth it. USuc would fight tooth and nail to keep us out b/c Clemson in the SEC is their worst nightmare. thats the only thing that would bring me pleasure. I'd rather wait to see what happens when the playoffs start. All we need now is to continue improving and get close to playing for a NC. That and quit letting USuC spend triple than us

Feb 6, 2013, 11:22 AM

Thank you, Mackenzie Alexander, for giving me hope.

"F" the SEC they are a bunch of Choads***

Feb 6, 2013, 11:24 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 6, 2013, 11:33 AM

..so we can recruit like SCar?

Listen, I don't want any other ACC school to get any top recruits. That just makes it harder for us to win.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 6, 2013, 11:39 AM

It's a catch 22. If our opponents all suck, we "win" in the short-term, but ultimately our lack of competition will soften us up and result in a bad team. The United States is the best economy in the world because it's ultra-competitive and therefore companies need to outdo one another consistently to stay on top of their game.

The SEC is a perfect example of this in football right now. Alabama, LSU, Florida, Georgia all battle it out every single year, and 3/4 teams have multiple national titles since 2001. We need the ACC to do well in recruiting so we can play in important, competitive games against good teams and thus continue to land quality recruits.

Nah.... We gotta whipp the $EC***

Feb 6, 2013, 11:40 AM

Feb 6, 2013, 11:42 AM

The ACC is just fine,the ACC is prolly the 2nd best conf over all and the Football will get better.

Feb 6, 2013, 11:44 AM

Baloney - what we have to is go undefeated in our own conference and take care of USC on a regular basis. You do that and you are in the NC mix. Now is that going to be easier in the SEC or the ACC?

The ACC and SEC over the past decade or so have about the same number of players in the NFL, so if these recruits are thinking about that, their choice of conference shouldn't make a big difference. No one wants to talk about academics, but the ACC in general runs rings around the SEC.

Feb 6, 2013, 12:43 PM

The problem is, many of these recruits aren't necessarily looking at the players being put into the NFL. They're looking at the great college games on the TV--and those are generally in the SEC.

I honestly think we're putting ourselves in a great position this year with UGA, FSU, and SCar on the schedule (assuming we can play to our potential)...but we need the rest of the conference to pick it up.

You act like we can't lose to any of those teams you just

Feb 6, 2013, 11:46 AM

named.

No, we don't.***

Feb 6, 2013, 12:10 PM

Why? So we can win 10/11 games and still not make the SEC

Feb 6, 2013, 12:47 PM

hampionship game like someone else we know.

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic