Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ukulele dot net
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 297

Ukulele dot net

Jan 29, 2021, 10:37 AM

No, not the new Quarterback, the actual stringed instrument.

Daughter mentioned wanting one for her birthday coming up soon. I do not play guitar (or ukulele) but she has been practicing some at school and she has interest. This is a much better option than a saxaphone or flute or some crap like that. Anyways, you guys have any suggestions on ukuleles? I see some in the $30-40 range then of course up from there. I assume I can just go to Woody's in Rock Hill and get a ukulele and it should be fine for her, right?

Is a 4 string ukulele easy to learn? She claims to know how to play it a little already from music class. I am skeptical.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Eh, I'd suggest an

Jan 29, 2021, 10:41 AM

Iphone 12. She'll be much quieter for longer periods of time.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great idea but no cell phones until they actually need it

Jan 29, 2021, 10:43 AM

which aint now.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My daughter bought one a few years ago.

Jan 29, 2021, 10:58 AM

Was pretty easy to learn and the cheap ones don't sound too bad. They seem easy to self teach and the chords are easier.

Buy her a cheap one and if she sticks with it then get her an expensive one later.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I imagine the better ones don't sound much better, but

Jan 29, 2021, 11:03 AM

they're easier to play and keep in tune.

I don't know how much any of them cost, but when our daughter that was taking guitar lessons with a decent acoustic guitar developed a vague interest in playing electric guitar, I bought one cheap at a pawn shop. Black Les Paul copy, don't remember the brand. Looked cool, but her interest waned.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If I were you, I'd take that $30-$40 you'll spend on the

Jan 29, 2021, 11:00 AM

ukelele, and go to happy hour this afternoon at your closest dive bar.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It’s not the Ukulele but the

Jan 29, 2021, 11:11 AM

Short shorts and hipster boyfriend that comes with you have to worry about.

https://youtu.be/1-XgHarjyUM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Woody's has a ton, and ukes are very reasonably priced as a

Jan 29, 2021, 11:16 AM

starter stringed instrument. Like any other stringed instrument, you can buy the dirt cheap one that isn't going to stay in tune and is harder to fret, so spend a little more and get one that she retain interest with because it isn't shredding her fingertips, plus you'll retain some value if you decide to trade up or sell. You also don't want to go the Amazon route and get one that needs set up because it'll never tune properly. You don't have to spend much more to get that. Go ask for Rose and tell her I sent you, she'll make sure you get reliable advice on one that fits your budget. I'd also suggest lessons if she really wants to speed up learning. Since she's never played a stringed instrument before, it's a little tougher to pick up from YouTube videos without some instruction.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks, I knew you would have the good info.***

Jan 29, 2021, 12:21 PM

Re: Ukulele dot net

Jan 29, 2021, 11:18 AM

Ukes are great first instruments for youngsters. Easy on the fingers and fairly easy to learn chords. Kinda cheap would be okay for starters, but make sure you get one made of real wood, not plastic. My gf started on a cheap one and now has a $500.00 spruce top that sounds amazing. She plays it along with me on my acoustic and if you weren't looking you'd swear it was just one incredibly full instrument you were hearing.

Go for it, I say. Worst that could happen is she gets bored with it and you sell it for not much less than you paid for it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I found Grateful Dead branded ones for $100 which

Jan 29, 2021, 12:21 PM

would look kinda cool hanging on the wall if she gives up interest. Thanks for the feedback.

I looked at those at Guitar Center last year.

Jan 29, 2021, 1:28 PM

They're really not bad at all, made by Alvarez (who Jerry had an acoustic guitar sponsorship with) so they should be good out of the box quality. They're probably a $50-60 uke without the GD graphics, but yeah...it would look good hanging on the wall. GC will set it up for you too if they have any in stock in Pineville, but I'd trust Woody's on the luthier work way before I would GC. Woody's often gets paid to set up GC instruments that were supposedly set up right when purchased.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 297
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic