Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
UNC's bogus admittance of graduate school athletes exposed
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

UNC's bogus admittance of graduate school athletes exposed

May 18, 2015, 4:19 PM

Cheryl Thomas, former admissions director of the UNC-Chapel Hill graduate school, said she was asked repeatedly to admit athletes who hadn’t applied on time, hadn’t taken the GRE or didn’t have sufficient grades. The athletes had eligibility remaining but had finished undergraduate degrees.

“They know he has not applied and would not meet the minimum requirements for admission, yet the EXSS is willing to accept him as a non-degree seeking, one semester only, graduate student so his football eligibility will continue, if the (graduate school) will allow it,” Thomas wrote.

In an interview, Thomas said that roughly once a year during her eight years as admissions director, someone from the athletics department or the UNC administration would contact her with a request to find a place for an athlete. The last she received involved Justin Knox, a basketball player who had graduated from the University of Alabama in 2010 but still had one more season of eligibility.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/unc-scandal/article11845640.html

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: UNC's bogus admittance of graduate school athletes exposed

May 18, 2015, 4:21 PM

So a cheater sells out the other cheaters . I love what is about to go down at UNCheat .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Every legitimate student who graduated from UNCheat....

May 18, 2015, 4:32 PM

during this time (the few that might actually exist) should join in a class action law suit against the University for devaluing the undregraduate and graduate degree programs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

This is one of the first things I thought of when this all

May 18, 2015, 4:35 PM

started to break in the news.

I would even be pizzed off if I graduated from them as a non-student athlete to be honest

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

The non-student athletes are the main ones ....

May 18, 2015, 4:37 PM

who should be pi$$ed-off.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

but, their athletes were/are non-students.***

May 18, 2015, 4:50 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Thus proving to the world that their diplomas are worthless?

May 18, 2015, 5:29 PM [ in reply to Every legitimate student who graduated from UNCheat.... ]

Would the money they collected cover the damages they'd brought brought to themselves.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not necessarily worthless just devalued.***

May 18, 2015, 5:33 PM

Re: Every legitimate student who graduated from UNCheat....

May 18, 2015, 9:39 PM [ in reply to Every legitimate student who graduated from UNCheat.... ]

Your spouting off is simply showing your ignorance. You have absolutely NO idea about the strength of academics at UNC, but you'll likely be a consumer of some UNC healthcare innovation someday - they're everywhere. Maybe then you'll understand and appreciate the separation of academics and athletics. Being an alum of both schools, I recognize the value of the education at both, and I can say I'm proud to be a part. Your comment is distasteful and not worthy of a Clemson fan. Grow up.

Yep. You are funny.***

May 18, 2015, 9:52 PM

Have to agree with tarheel on this one...

May 18, 2015, 10:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Every legitimate student who graduated from UNCheat.... ]

A bunch of cheating athletes and a figure we can't stand in John Swofford doesn't negate the quality academics of the University as a whole.
I would be equally defensive of Clemson if a several dozen athletes, out of tens of thousands of students, were in cahoots with fraudulent classes/professors at my alma mater too.
That said, i want to see athletics fn drilled and believe this should be the impetus for the Swofford resignation.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

You defending absolute fraud is showing your bias

May 18, 2015, 10:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Every legitimate student who graduated from UNCheat.... ]

and displaying your moral bankruptcy. Keep beating your head against the wall with this bunch on Tigernet. The wall does not mind the blood.

-Doc

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Re: You defending absolute fraud is showing your bias

May 18, 2015, 10:57 PM

A freaking men

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 18, 2015, 11:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Every legitimate student who graduated from UNCheat.... ]

How can you possibly spout off about great academics at UNC (your a state school not ivy league). Your biggest problem is you don't want to accept your academic inferiority to your brothers over in Durham and when it comes to atheletics you can't even accept your own problem. All you do is talk about how it's a problem everywhere which is complete BS.

May 18, 2015, 11:35 PM

Maybe because I graduated from there, after Clemson, and now teach and see patients there. There's no rivalry in academia. We teach at each other's institutions and work together on research. That's why it's called the research Triangle. Divisiveness gets you nowhere in academics.

Those responsible for academic fraud should be held accountable, but don't go indicting the nation when one state legislature (academic department) screws up. It's not fair to the rest of the country - all other citizens who work very hard, do the right thing and are very deserving.

don't waste your breath

May 19, 2015, 8:34 AM [ in reply to Re: Every legitimate student who graduated from UNCheat.... ]

fellow TarHeel alumnus

the fact that one department (out of more than seventy) was involved in the paper-class scheme doesn't matter to many here.

the fact that the credit hours involved in the scheme amount to less than one-tenth of one percent of the academic credit hours doesn't matter either

to too many, the failings of a few indict the whole university.

i'm guessing you have missed - or ignored - much of the empty invective the folks here aim at UNC - the stuff in this thread is really pretty mild

Re: UNC's bogus admittance of graduate school athletes exposed

May 18, 2015, 10:25 PM

This article is soon dumb.

1. A very few percent of Clemson football team would even get into Clemson without the special expection policy.

2. I sure I have no facts but Clemson allows athletes into grad school with the special exception.

Wonder if E. Golson has applied to FSU grad school?

May 19, 2015, 4:02 PM

unlike the UNC paper-class scheme, the lax grad school admission is something that most schools do

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic