Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Truist Financial is new name for combined BB&T/SunTrust***
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Truist Financial is new name for combined BB&T/SunTrust***

Jun 13, 2019, 12:08 PM

https://www.wsj.com/articles/truist-financial-is-new-name-for-combined-bb-t-suntrust-11560369032

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would have went with "Best-est" Financial

Jun 13, 2019, 12:32 PM

Oh well.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Already taken by Little Caesars!

Jun 13, 2019, 12:59 PM

Extra Most Bestest.

Re: I would have went with "Best-est" Financial

Jun 16, 2019, 8:23 AM [ in reply to I would have went with "Best-est" Financial ]

Bes-ust...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Truist Financial is new name for combined BB&T/SunTrust***

Jun 13, 2019, 12:46 PM

Seems like Bust would have been a logical combination of the names.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 13, 2019, 12:53 PM

That there is some great football related news that no one but the bankers care about!

Slow news day...and I work at a bank***

Jun 13, 2019, 1:00 PM

Re: Slow news day...and I work at a bank***

Jun 13, 2019, 1:32 PM

Then I guess you care. My brother worked at Trust Co of GA which became SunTrust

Wouldn't Trust Financial made more since than Truist??***

Jun 15, 2019, 4:15 PM

Re: Wouldn't Trust Financial made more since than Truist??***

Jun 16, 2019, 8:32 AM

Yes it would or Trustus.??

How many stadiums etc are impacted?

Jun 13, 2019, 1:51 PM

Wake, Charlotte, NJ, NC A&T whom else?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

Re: How many stadiums etc are impacted?

Jun 13, 2019, 1:57 PM

There’s one in Cobb County which will be affected.

Truist Park? What a horrible name. Is this the same marketing firm that came up with UofSC?

Jun 15, 2019, 1:09 PM

I saw that & it reminded me of a lot of "big-brain" corporate meetings I once had to attend. A lot of ideas floated by "not so big-brain" people at such things, until finally, some cloud of idiocy hovers over the room, and a name or idea like "Truist" gets an approval from the group.

Brainstorming sessions with too many people often result in lame or less than mediocre ideas being adopted.

TRUIST is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. It's not a word. No one will know how to pronounce it. Is it "Tru-ist" - "Troost" - "Trust" (spelled an odd way)?

Better suggestions:

Too Big to Fail Bank

The Big Vault

Santa's Bank

24/7 Bank

Losing Jobs & Branches Because We're Consolidating Bank

The Data Breach Bank

Sunny Branch Bank

Open Holidays Bank

The Piggy Bank

Sub-Prime Lending Bank

Next Bailed Out Bank

Newist Bank

Re: A lot of ideas get floated

Jun 15, 2019, 4:02 PM

True statement.

I was a contract worker at Baptist College at Charleston when they changed their name to Charleston Southern, and I was also on the pastoral staff of a pastor active in Southern Baptist politics.

We all mocked the new name because it was obvious the Board members were not local to choose such a silly name. They were the only ones in the world who believed there was more than one Charleston.
First, the college is not in Charleston, nor is it south of Charleston. While Charleston was part of the original name, it was included originally to distinguish it from other Baptist Colleges.

Second, the new name was obviously intended to create a national brand for the school. But with over 90% of enrollment coming from within 100 miles, there was no need for it. Can ANYONE name a college based in the northern city of Charleston? No, you can't. So why does your name imply that there is a need for the two Charlestons to be distinguished? Charlestonians were actually offended by this name choice, because there is only one Charleston in their mind. And in the higher education universe, there is still only one almost 30 years later.

Third, the student who submitted the winning suggestion was supposed to get scholarship money. However, the board saved that prize money by creating a name that was not suggested.

Fourth, the name change was only necessary because the college was trying to create an identity apart from the conservative SC Baptist Convention. They had to change their name to create any hope of outside funding. Most of the state's Baptist schools were seeking outside funding, led primarily by Furman, in reaction to the conservative resurgence in national and convention politics. When the conservatives tried to control the schools by tightening the purse strings, the schools explored the option of leaving their Baptist affiliation behind. However, as soon as Furman gained its independence from the convention (the state's #1 recipient of Baptist money), Anderson College and CSU (the state' #2 and #3 recipients of Baptist money) suddenly found reasons to reaffirm their affiliation with the state Baptist convention. Turns out they love Baptist students and the Baptist money they bring in after all. So the primary reason for the name change became moot.

Just my reflections on name changes.

I'd guess 30 years later the "new" name makes some sense, but the same could have been true of a half dozen different names.

You say there was no need to include Southern in the name,

Jun 15, 2019, 4:13 PM

but I believe there was already a College of Charleston, so if they were intent on dropping Baptist from the name, there had to be something to distinguish it from C of C. Just Charleston College would have been confusing. I have always thought Charleston Southern was a pretty good name!

Charleston Southern.....

Jun 15, 2019, 5:23 PM [ in reply to Re: A lot of ideas get floated ]

.....seems a tremendous improvement over Baptist College at Charleston.

I also think Southern Wesleyan was a big improvement over Central Wesleyan.

If the folks at North Greenville had some nerve and a sense of humor they'd rename their school Tigerville University.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think a real ADA opportunity was passed by...

Jun 15, 2019, 5:33 PM

Could have gone with B-B-Bank & T-T-Trust...

I know...I know...not remotely PC. Down I go....

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Charleston Southern.....

Jun 16, 2019, 4:08 AM [ in reply to Charleston Southern..... ]

But that was the point. They're IN Tigerville but wanted to be thought of as a Greenville university (which they're really not close to), so they thought up NORTH Greenville College (now N.G-ville University).

Jun 16, 2019, 7:05 AM [ in reply to Re: A lot of ideas get floated ]

At least 1 northern college/university in Charleston. Eastern Illinois University in Charleston, IL, most commonly referred to as EIU by us former Illinois residents.

Jun 17, 2019, 4:21 PM

Ah, the home of Charleston Midwestern University!

Jun 16, 2019, 8:51 AM [ in reply to Re: Truist Financial is new name for combined BB&T/SunTrust*** ]

I really like The Data Breach Bank. I also like House of Cheddar.

Yup, I’m. Suntrust customer and I hate it too***

Jun 17, 2019, 4:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Truist Financial is new name for combined BB&T/SunTrust*** ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 15, 2019, 5:46 PM

About as bad as Prisma for Greenville Health System. Are the coaches going to have that on their headsets instead of the old GHS logo? Every time I say it feels like I'm saying "prison".

Jun 15, 2019, 9:23 PM

grrowl said:

About as bad as Prisma for Greenville Health System. Are the coaches going to have that on their headsets instead of the old GHS logo? Every time I say it feels like I'm saying "prison".

POTD!!!!

As an employee of "prison" health.. I hate it!!!..

Everytime Dale Gilbert mentioned it at the games last year i had two thumbs down....

R.I.P. GHS..

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 15, 2019, 9:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Truist Financial is new name for combined BB&T/SunTrust*** ]

Looks like the same people were involved in both new name decisions. Those are the two of the most ridiculous names I've seen. Guess G'ville Health System was tired of getting mail intended for G'ville High School and was desperate for any new name. Another stupid one is Charlotte's Carolinas Healthcare System change to Atrium, a name which has the connotation of a big empty space that people walk through to somewhere else.

Message was edited by: BerlinSPY73®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

I agree about Prisma

Jun 16, 2019, 3:59 AM [ in reply to Re: Truist Financial is new name for combined BB&T/SunTrust*** ]

That is a dumb name. Just read an article a few days back about the Prisma thing. I guess it became Prisma after GHS merged w/Palmetto Health in Columbia. Now, instead of being a PUBLIC non-profit it's a PRIVATE non-profit & doesn't have to announce all info on its finances. But, you can get most of the info from credit rating agencies like Fitch, S&P and Moody's. Might have guessed too - the merger has raised the credit rating of the Columbia side of things & lowered it for the Upstate end of the biz. Great move.

"Prisma" is pretty close to the way Gov. McMaster would pronounce prisoner - which would be - "PRISNA." It's a dumb name. Makes me think of "plasma" - "prison" or "prisoner."

I also hate these behemoths gobbling up everything in sight, like the Cancer Center & most of the medical practices. It always leads to lousier service for the patients & jobs lost.

And on banks - never saw a merger yet that didn't shut down branches & cost jobs. We've already lost our closest & most convenient BB&T branch. Thanks "Truist!"

But will they still have the best home mortgages on the market now that SunTrust is gone?

Jun 16, 2019, 7:24 AM

We shall see....

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic