Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
True tarheel story....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

True tarheel story....

Sep 30, 2019, 5:05 PM

Many,many years ago I sat next to a group of UNC frat boys at a game in the Valley. The Heels had a really good running back that year who went on to play professionally and they were a good team. Better than my Tigers.
The frat boys were having a real good, alcohol induced time sitting with the Tiger fans. There was one little fat kid who was REALLY enjoying his teams success. Every five minutes he stood up and sang “Tigers, Tigers. How’d you like to bite my a$$” . A Tiger fan sitting in front of me had had enough of this nonsense and after a dozen renditions of this serenade he stood and told the little frat boy that he thought he would try some, For some reason the stadium got unusually quiet for a moment and the little tarheel cried out “F... YOU during this brief silence. He was heard all over the section. Needless to say,one guy stood up and apologized for the idiot saying”folks he didn’t mean that” ... which made it worse. They left rather quickly.

It’s sad that that has to be my fondest memory of UNC .. but it is

Go Tigers

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: True tarheel story....

Sep 30, 2019, 5:18 PM

Was that when they had Don McCauley?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger Band 70-74

Sep 30, 2019, 5:30 PM

That is exactly right. When would that have been ? Late 60s?

1971***

Sep 30, 2019, 5:37 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 30, 2019, 5:28 PM

I'll bet the running back was named Don McCauley... and the year must have been 1971... and UNCheat scored 42 points against us (and I think they shut us out, but I'm not sure)... and it was Homecoming... It was my senior year. Thanks for your story... it put a little positive spin on a lousy memory!

Go Tigers!

Sep 30, 2019, 5:36 PM

I don’t remember it being homecoming. As I recall I was at that game alone and my bride always went to homecoming with me. Long ago for this fan to remember much!

Maybe not Homecoming...

Sep 30, 2019, 5:39 PM

My wife was with me... about 7 months pregnant with our daughter who was born in December... Don McCauley was a stud!

Sep 30, 2019, 5:47 PM [ in reply to Re: True tarheel story.... ]

Hmmm... methinks my memory was flawed. I just checked old stats...We played Auburn for Homecoming in 1971 (13-35 loss) and lost to UNC 13-26. However, McCauley was the RB for the UNCheaters, and ran all over us... and my daughter was born a couple of months later (of that, I am certain!). ######... of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

Sep 30, 2019, 5:43 PM

My true Tarheel Story: Our fraternity at CU chartered a bus to Chapel Hill, had block seats, and the only requirement to travel on the bus was that every brother wear a fraternity jersey. (Yeah, we actually refused to allow one guy on the bus for failure to meet this simple requirement.) But, I digress. In our block seats, all garnet and gold, we stood and cheered for the Tigers constantly. So constantly that our standing actually irritated several UNC folks to our rear who apparently were not accustomed to standing. So, eventually words were exchanged and things started to get ugly. But, just like the Lone Ranger, up rose RC Edwards (then President of CU for you youngsters) who momentarily deserted his beloved Moon Pie and slowly walked up the steps. In a very gentlemanly way, RC reminded the offended UNC fans that the young men from Clemson had paid for their seats and had every right to rise and cheer for their team whenever they cared to. Problem solved.

RC and Moon Pie were legends in their time. Beloved by all students while I was at Clemson.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 30, 2019, 6:56 PM

Next to TG Clemson, RC Edwards was probably the most important person in Clemson University history. He ran a tight ship but knew how much latitude to allow students. In his many years as President, he likely never passed a student without speaking.

Every hall had one pay phone that rats were required to answer. A common joke on new frosh was leaving a "call Bob" note on his door with RC's home number. A classmate recently told me about the prank being pulled on him, and he called the Edwards' home.

Moon Pie laughed during his apology and told him not to be upset because she received about a half dozen of the prank calls most nights. RC and Moon Pie never changed their phone number or had an unlisted number.

Sep 30, 2019, 10:20 PM

When i retired in 2007,i moved back to the area and got a PO Box at the College Ave. location. Blew my mind to see RCE drive in, get out and head for his box which was near mine. I would see him several times every week and marveled at his ability to get around.I'm guessing he never met anyone without saying hello.. And the beer bash he threw back in the day was neat.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic