Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
True story
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

True story

Feb 6, 2021, 10:14 AM

My told me yesterday morning, she says babe, the ceiling in the master bathroom is falling in. I said that the only way that could be happening would be if we had a leak in the roof, and we just had a new roof put on about 3 years ago.

I go to the master bath, I didn't see the ceiling falling in, what I saw was something was trying to come through the ceiling, there were 2 holes in the ceiling with what looked like a shopping plastic bag in one of the holes. Sure enough, there was a squirrel building a nest in the attic. But she was putting her a couple of peep holes in I guess.

I went outside to see if I could find where it was coming in at, and at the eve, she had chewed a hole through the screen that blocks thing from coming in where it's vented to allow the heat to escape in the summer.

I went to walmart and bought one of the can air horns, and when I got back home, I took the exhaust fan out in the guest bathroom on the opposite end of the house, told the wife that I would call her cell, and when I do, to put that air horn in the exhaust fan hole, and blow it until it wouldn't blow anymore, and I was outside waiting to see what come through the vent hole.

Sure enough, that squirrel came through that hole at mach speed, and run up the tree that she used to get up there. She should have kept running bc, I was standing there with my 22 rifle, and she won't be nesting in my attic ever again.

I replaced the vent screen with a much tougher wire, but now, I have the job of fixing the holes she chewed through my master bath ceiling, but that will have to wait a few days bc, climbing up and down that latter several times, cutting down the tree that she used to break into my house, it has my back in a major shut down mode of pain!!!

The End!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: True story

Feb 6, 2021, 10:28 AM

so you had a "peeping" squirrel? Shame on him!!!!

Message was edited by: ;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 6, 2021, 10:36 AM

Waiting on a reply that u shouldn't shoot animals. Hope u cooked it up.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 6, 2021, 12:11 PM

Nobody hates killing animals any more that I do, but in this case, she would have come back to find another entrance, and I felt that I had to protect wife, and myself from a fire while we were sleeping because, it could have chewed into an electrical wire in my attic and caused a fire!!! I choose between mine/wife life, or the squirrel, and I chose the squirrels life!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One got into my attic last June and I couldn't get him out

Feb 6, 2021, 1:32 PM

Put a trap with nuts & water up there but he didn't go in - saw the rascal one time when I opened the ceiling door to check the trap. He lasted in the heat for 3 or 4 days - found his remains sometime in the Fall laying on top of the insulation but we never smelled a thing. Guess he couldn't find his way out - I looked everywhere for the place he got in but found no holes. My son climbed onto the roof to check and all he could figure out was that he went down ( or fell into) the opening for the prefab chimney between the woodwork and the metal chute and climbed the wall to enter the attic . Could hear the thing running from one end of the house to the other even with a lot of blown-in insulation. Don't report me to PETA, but I shot about 40 of those things in my yard soon after that - did not want any more days wondering if one would chew on a wire.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: One got into my attic last June and I couldn't get him out

Feb 6, 2021, 5:26 PM

They are pretty destructive, and I had to stop putting padded lawn furniture around my pool area bc they would rip the padding out, I guess for building their nest. You're right about they wouldn't eat what you put out. I read that about them when they were destroying my lawn furniture!!!

I did end up putting two cats in my backyard, and they kept them away until my Rottie finally killed both of them. And he couldn't catch the squirrels, but it wasn't from not trying, and they are the reason that I have a 22 rifle. They live if they are just walking/running through the yard, but if I catch one destroying something, i'll try for a leg or tail shot, but sometimes, my aim is off. But the facts are, I hate to kill them, but if they are costing me money that I don't have, a 22 bullet is cheaper that replacing my my stuff!!! :(

Message was edited by: allinallorangeallthetime52®

They chewed holes in the bottom of a paddle boat

Feb 7, 2021, 10:55 AM

made of hard fiberglass I had turned upside down in my yard. They will chew on anything.

Feb 6, 2021, 1:54 PM [ in reply to Re: True story ]

squirrels are not my favorite animals.last year at CU had to take comparative vertebrate anatomy.don't remember the teacher,but vaguely remember that he was a closet herpetologist.semester project was reconstructing a complete skeleton of your animal of choice.most people chose cats.sure a lot went missing in the area.couldn't see depriving some poor kid of their favorite pet,so i chose to do a squirrel.what a mistake.it was like putting a fish together.some bones bones were very small and fine.spent a lot of time on that project.submitted an incomplete skeleton and somehow managed to pass the course.to this day i resent every squirrel i see.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Feb 6, 2021, 10:36 AM

Waiting on a reply that u shouldn't shoot animals. Hope u cooked it up.

Feb 6, 2021, 11:04 AM

I hope you didn't cover that hole up too soon. If that squirrel had baby squirrels, you may be getting a bad odor in a few days.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 6, 2021, 12:13 PM

To soon in the season, but she was making plans to have a family up there.

Nice shot.

Feb 6, 2021, 11:14 AM

I once thought they were cute little varmints . . .

Feb 6, 2021, 11:36 AM

For the very reason you shared, they are nothing more than tree rats to me.

Gabe and Robert Arrington would have a field day at my house!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 6, 2021, 12:19 PM

Hopefully you won’t have any flying squirrels. They don’t need trees close to the house to get to the roof. Pain in the rear, but I bough a chipmunk trap that works great.

The house is so tall though I haven’t been able to figure out where they are getting in, although I have an idea. Might give the air horn trick a shot.

Feb 6, 2021, 12:27 PM

Why did you kill that poor precious animal trying to raise his family without health benefits???

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Feb 6, 2021, 12:34 PM

I truly believe that a man has got to do what he has to do to keep his family safe, and I will do whatever it takes at that time!!!

Feb 6, 2021, 5:44 PM [ in reply to Re: True story ]

BC she moved in without permission, and without a security deposit!!!

I used to squirrel hunt back in the day with dogs and I

Feb 6, 2021, 12:35 PM

feel sure if you had an indoor hunting dog breed of any kind you would’ve known there was a squirrel in your attack long before the damage occurred!
Nevertheless I approve of the way you handled it! When I was growing up my grandmothers used to know how to cook squirrel and stew a rabbit.
I’ve since let hunting go but my mind is filled with great Thanksgiving memories as a young teen hunting on my grandparents land with my cousin and my dog. I don’t know who loved it more me or the dog!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Attack = attic spellcheck has spoiled me**

Feb 6, 2021, 12:37 PM

Sorry

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I used to squirrel hunt back in the day with dogs and I

Feb 6, 2021, 12:44 PM [ in reply to I used to squirrel hunt back in the day with dogs and I ]

I've eaten a squirrel, but I have had my share of rabbit stew, and I was thinking of stewing the family that lives behind my house, but I couldn't bring myself to killing them. And I'm all the time taking veggies out the fridge, and setting them out for that family of rabbits to eat. Every spring, I will see the babies hopping around in my backyard. And I look forward to seeing a new litter every spring. I love animals, and the wild ones, but I can't let them move in with me!!!

Feb 6, 2021, 1:02 PM

Squirrels in the attic cost me $6500 in 2009. The squirrels chewed the covering off the electric lines and caused a fire. We were lucky. Needless to say, I am not fond of the critters.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Squirrels

Feb 6, 2021, 1:09 PM

Are members of the family Sciuridae that included all RODENTS. They are fuzzy tail rats and a pain in the ####!

Feb 6, 2021, 1:17 PM [ in reply to Re: I used to squirrel hunt back in the day with dogs and I ]

They will mess a house up & cause a fire never realizing they hurt anyone, honestly squirrels don’t care....lol

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Feb 6, 2021, 5:37 PM [ in reply to Re: I used to squirrel hunt back in the day with dogs and I ]

That is the exact reason that I killed the one that was in my attic, they are a fire hazard for sure. Once they find out there is a nice warm place in the attic, they will keep breaking in some how!!! And once he felt safe in my tree, I put a bullet through its head, no suffering!!!

Feb 6, 2021, 2:51 PM

My father said squirrels and chipmunks were rats with a better wardrobe. The chipmunks would undermine our retaining wall.

Feb 6, 2021, 5:33 PM

Haha awesome!

One time I had a 500 shot Saturn missile firework. I had some squirrels nesting a little to close to the house for comfort. I lit that thing off under their nest and you’d a though they were in WWIII. Must have been 3 or 4 come out the nest screaming and chirping running this and that way every time they’d go one way a missile would cut them off and they’d run the other way. It was hilarious. That firework if you’re familiar lasted about a minute and a half. Each missile screeching at the squirrels. Needless to say they moved out that day and set up across the street at my neighbors house.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Keep shooting. Cutting trees gives

Feb 6, 2021, 7:09 PM

them a new challenge. I blocked them off one end of house that had trees. Not long before I heard the circus in my attic contine. I then saw them come out on other end climbing right down the face of the house. I then blocked that end. They haven't gotten in but have tried like crazy. They have even been knawing on the hardie plank.
I've been thinning them out with a pellet gun but I have to be careful being in a neighborhood. Pest control says to trap them and if I haul them off and let them loose make sure I carry them across a body of water.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Keep shooting. Cutting trees gives

Feb 7, 2021, 2:11 AM

I will say this to you. I have never been a Cat person, but what I have learned about having a couple of Cats before my dog finally caught and kill them both :(... Go to the pound, adopt two pretty big male Cats, feed them, every now and then pet them, and give them a warm place to sleep in the backyard. When they make claim to your backyard, you will start to see the Squirrel population start to thin out to almost no existence. It works, and I know that it works bc I tried it before my Rottie put an end to their existence. Don't overfeed them, if you do, you will notice the squirrels running around your yard with the cats watching them!!!

Link?

Feb 7, 2021, 6:16 AM

Been waitin' years to do that.....

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic