Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Trip to Charleston - Where to eat, places to see?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

Trip to Charleston - Where to eat, places to see?

Jul 23, 2015, 1:06 AM

Thanks in advance for responses.

Going to be in Charleston in a couple of months for about 4 days. I've been before but am taking a lady friend that has never been to Charleston or even the South.

Any recommendations? I do plan to turn her on to BBQ probably several times during our stay.

And I know Magnolia Plantation will be one of the stops as well.

Open to thoughts on best restaurants (that are not tourists traps)

Thank you and Go Tigers

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

just tried out "crabshack" on Folly B. last Sunday, very good!!! ??

Jul 23, 2015, 1:16 AM

AND....they have a "make-your-own-bloody-mary" station ??

"Charleston seafood bucket" doubled in portion was more than enough for me & 2 chicks....plus the waitress pointed out it was still the same portion but cheaper than 2 single orders ?? (and she was cuuuuuute!)

There's also a cool rooftop bar just on the next block with good food & sushi....got late, can't remember the name! Lol! ??

Calamari & crab-stuffed shrooms were also delish...
Message was edited by: jbthe1tiger99®

Taco Boy on Folly B. is great! Between $2 and $3 shrimp

Jul 23, 2015, 2:23 AM

tacos that had t least 6 18/20's in every taco. Which obviously aren't big at $3, you can eat 7 and not come close to what it'd cost at some of the downtown restaurants. If you want to splurge one night, or money isn't an issue, I would suggest McCrady's or Fig. Have fun! Beautiful city

Oh yea, and they have like 20+ different kinds of tacos to choose from, most expensive being maybe $5.

Message was edited by: TigerGrant8®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Taco Boy on Folly B. is great! Between $2 and $3 shrimp

Jul 23, 2015, 5:32 AM

If you are headed out to Folly , or back from it , about a mile off the marsh on Folly Rd. is the Bohemian Bull . Great Craft beer selection and truly good burgers . Nothing fancy but it is my favorite local burger joint .
Pretty good BBQ @ Smokey Oak Grill , it's on the corner of Camp and Dills Bluff on James Island .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: Trip to Charleston - Where to eat, places to see?

Jul 23, 2015, 1:18 AM

Mt Pleasant
Home Team bbq on Sullivan's Island is good for lunch during a day at the beach. Boat House is also good for a seafood dinner.

Another good spot in Mt. Pleasant is The Wreck. It's a seafood place that's decidedly "locals only". While there take a quick stroll on the Pitt St bridge.

If you're in the mood for sushi check out Kanpai. The service is a tad slow, but the food is excellent. There's a bar called Locals that serves sushi as well.

West Ashley
If you're going to Magnolia Plantation they actually have a pretty decent restaurant there. While in West Ashley check out Bushido for sushi. Red Orchid for some "upscale" Chinese. It's a lot better than the typical Chinese take out.

Downtown
If you wanna eat downtown check out Fig if you don't mind dropping the coin. Make reservations now though. The Tattooed Moose is also very good.

For ramen check out this place called Menkoi. It's not the best ramen shop in the world, but it's the only one we have. If you've never had ramen; and I don't mean the top ramen you had in college; then do yourself a favor and check this place out for lunch.

Don't go to Hyam's. Tourist trap to the max and you can get better seafood elsewhere.

There are a ton of places downtown though. Far too many to list here. T-mail me if you want to talk a bit more about locations.

Jul 23, 2015, 1:27 AM

Thanks Bentzero.

Man, you sure do like sushi :)

Yep, I hear that Hymans is no good.

I've yelped most all of the places and confirmed with my family back home. Fig, I don't think I will want to drop the money unless they give really large portions. I hate places that are expensive and then only give you small portions. :)

Magnolia and Hanks were two places mentioned.

I ate BBQ at the Queology last time I was in town and as soon as I got off the plane, my first stop was at the Home Team or town BBQ.

Jul 23, 2015, 2:07 AM

Haha, I do love sushi.

Magnolia's and Hank's are both good. Hanks is expensive with normal to slightly larger than normal portions. My wife and I split a $50 steak dish and this was after eating apps a couple different bars. Make reservations now though if you want to go to Hank's for dinner. Lunch is pretty easy to pop in.

Have you tried Orental Garden

Jul 23, 2015, 2:14 AM

In Mt pleasant? That is my favorite sushi place here. I have not tried Bushido's yet, though.

The fun part is the look on people's faces when they see the outside of OG. Truly a dive sushi pub.

Jul 23, 2015, 6:54 AM [ in reply to Re: Trip to Charleston - Where to eat, places to see? ]

Check Swig & Swine for bar-b-q...excellent. Same owners of 82 Queen, which has been around over 30 years.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where are you staying?

Jul 23, 2015, 1:18 AM

It makes a difference. Someone will tell you to try such & such and it could be a 30 minute drive.

Here are the NOs:
Hymans
Most restaurants in the Market Street area.
Carriage rides - the animal lover protesters are out.
It's hot outside
Fleet's Landing - unless it's lunch and ask to sit outside. Don't let the morons tell you the food is good, it's ok. The view on their deck is pretty though.

The beaches are nice but it depends where you're staying, not going to send someone out to Sullivans if you're staying on Kiawah.

The BBQ in Charleston is not that good, high end junk and it depends which sauce you like - mustard, ketchup, etc. I'm not saying it's terrible and you'll get the "go to Sticky Fingers, Jim & Nicks, Bessingers, etc.". There are some holes in the walls around, though.

Re: Where are you staying?

Jul 23, 2015, 1:21 AM

Will be staying with family on James Island.

She probably has an idea of where to take us but I want to see if my fellow tigernet friends match up with her reviews.

Will be in James Island but exploring mostly downtown Charleston and such. The market, etc. most likely

Ok.

Jul 23, 2015, 1:40 AM

Don't listen to the Mt Pleasant restaurants. It's at least a 20 minute drive, 40 minutes if someone mentions The Boat House, Home Team, etc.

Seafood, Bowens Island. Bring cash, fried seafood, nice views of what was a total local dive restaurant 20 years ago. Beach, Folly, it's the closest.

Party, drinks, upper King Street. So many to choose from and there may be a new hot spot by the time you get there. Macintosh, Stars, the Grocery. Fig is excellent, not on King but Meeting. I also love Hanks which is near the Market Area - not tourist.

I'm not that familiar with James Island these days but the bbq place I like is Dukes. It's mustard based but if you like hash it's the bomb. One of the few places that sells hash. Melvins is okay but may be good for a bbq beginner, lots of various sauces.

Ethnic restaurants are poor to nothing, so, don't expect much.

If you're here in the fall, you should do a walking tour, the ghost tours are fun, especially the ones that show you the old dungeon at the Old Exchange building

Brunch at Poogans or High Cotton.

Take a trip to Ft Sumter, corny but for a first timer fun, the trips are by boat and leave near the aquarium. You can grab some sandwiches from East Bay Deli nearby. Or, try Saffrons.

This is off the top of my head, others likely will have good recommendations. But, I'd stay away from Mt Pleasant unless you want to hang out for drinks at Shem Creek.....but, the food is not that good there. Much better options downtown.

Halls if you want steaks, bring your wallet.

Re: Ok.

Jul 23, 2015, 1:48 AM

Yes sir, I do not desire to go into Mt. Pleasant. I went to eat at Shems Creek last year when I was home.

I will simply stay in the James Island, Folly Beach and Charleston area with a half day trip up to Magnolia Plantation.

Yes, I've been reading about High Cotton and Poogans.

Dukes is already on the list. I like all you can eat. Had it last fall when I was there. Plan to go back again.

Magnolia and Hanks has also been recommended to me. Thank you for confirming that Hanks is good.

Jul 23, 2015, 1:52 AM

I wish I knew more about places you could eat on the way to the Plantations but Hwy 61 is like Columbia to me. A friend is the chef at el Matador but I have not been there.

Fist pump on the Dukes......it's good!!

I'll try to research some James Island locations. They keep changing and I rarely go past Camp/Folly intersection.
Mondo' s has been good in the past.

Jul 23, 2015, 2:01 AM

Wise Tiger you have done more than good.

Don't worry about the ride to Magnolia. That will be an early morning start and I hope to be done by noon at the plantation. Don't want to go all way way back home and spend an entire day at a plantation although I'm sure the girl wouldn't mind. Need to get back to one of the bars for football on that Saturday.

Dukes will be visited for sure. Can't beat all you can eat BBQ at Dukes. I shake my head at those who do not go back for 2nd or 3rds.

Tried Home Team last time and Queology for my BBQ fix.

I like the market area and I know the lady will as well. Hanks will be visited. Poogans will be visited. My sister wants to go to Magnolia. Gonna skip FIG unless you can promise me that they will give me a large portion for what I'm going to pay. May try Jestine's kitchen as well.

So many great options to dine at.

On hwy 17 there is a good breakfast place

Jul 23, 2015, 2:11 AM

Called the early bird diner. I think it opens very early. May be a good spot to grab breakfast. If on a Saturday, I think voodoo lounge does a brunch but not sure how early it opens.

Fig is good but portions are small. Jestine's has turned into a tourist trap. If you go, go early.

There should be some Clemson friendly bars on James Island but, alas, I don't watch the games in bars. Likely some better JI posters here that could help you. I think the bar at the Publix shopping center on Folly is Clemson friendly. Or, heck, just go to Folly Beach.

Magnolias is ok. Never been my OMG favorite but it's nice. Charleston Grill at the Charleston Place hotel is also very good, but, very expensive.

Dukes hash ?? Oh son....For that you sold your everlasting

Jul 23, 2015, 7:57 AM [ in reply to Ok. ]

soul ???

Ugghhh.....

The hash at Kelly's in Summerville runs circles around Dukes hash.

Jul 23, 2015, 8:29 AM [ in reply to Ok. ]

You're the first person I've ever known that said the food is "not that good" on Shem Creek. It's worth eating there for the view alone, but the food is always great. Vickery's, Water's Edge, RB's, Page's Okra Grill, Tavern & Table, and Shelter are all good options. I promise once you see the view you'll say the drive was worth it. Especially if she's never seen the sunset on a salt marsh before.

I got this

Jul 23, 2015, 1:26 AM

you can't go wrong with eating almost anywhere downtown. If you're looking for casual burgers/chicken sandwiches for lunch or dinner, Poes tavern on Sullivan's island is great. One o my favorite restaurants for when I was in college. There's a bbq place right across from it that I have heard was really good. Poogans porch is a great brunch spot. It's next to husk. I've never been to husk. But it's suppose to be great. The restaurants on Shem creek are good. In mt pleasant is a place called Barton's. If they have the swordfish, get it. Seafood is almost always good here too. Almost anywhere will be good. Almost.

Theatre 99 is an improv theatre on meeting street. They're shows are hilarious. It is in the upstairs part or the bike shop. You just go round back to get in. $10 per person. Not a bad deal. Ghost tours are fun mostly because of the history behind things. Not scary at all. The jail tour is freaky. Fort Sumter is okay. I'm a history geek. So I like it. If you can tour the old dungeon and provost I recommend that.

I'm a charleston southern grad and they have put some good basketball teams on the court these last four years. If it's during that season, it's a fun atmosphere because of how small the arena is and how the students get into the game. The football team is making waves on the fcs level now too.

Hth that helps

Re: I got this

Jul 23, 2015, 1:42 AM

Thanks,

I had yelped Poogans Porch. Might try that out one day for sure.

Thanks for the info. Will be coming around Labor Day so will miss the basketball that you suggest.

Jul 23, 2015, 5:40 AM

You should ge see St. Michaels Church at the 4 corners of law.

FAT HEN!!! Best restaurant in Chas. hands down

Jul 23, 2015, 6:01 AM

Make a reservation now, seriously.
Home Team BBQ in West Asley or Sullivans Island for your bbq needs.
Walk out on Shem Creek, or down Church St and around the battery for an evening stroll.
Great time of year to be here.. enjoy!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Just read the whole thread..

Jul 23, 2015, 6:11 AM

I grew up in Chas and there are few places in have not eaten. Seriously, spend the money and go to Fat Hen. Good portions, better than any food you'll get downtown.
JBs Smokehouse, also on Johns Island, is supposed to be awesome. They do a lunch buffett, and i just don't eat big lunches, but give it a look.
When out on Folly, go to either end and walk around as far as you can. Its nice to see the ends with no homes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Fat Hen is good

Jul 23, 2015, 6:52 AM

I almost wanted to tell him to go there but there is something to eating downtown. Especially if on a date. but, Fat Hen is a hidden gem.

JB's is okay. The problem I have is the owner can be a jerk. The guy, not his wife. Also, their hash is terrible.

I LOVE Pearlz Oyster Bar on East Bay.

Jul 23, 2015, 6:52 AM

They have awesome seafood and great beers on tap even if you don't eat oysters for some reason (like perhaps an unfortunate allergy). They also have these really awesome corn fritters. Go there. (I know they have branched out and are somewhat of a chain now, but they are still great).

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 23, 2015, 7:01 AM

For an excellent steak dinner - Halls Chophouse.

Jul 23, 2015, 7:17 AM

For seafood Bowen's Island off Folly Road is good at a reasonable price. There will probably be a long line.

I would stay away from BBQ while in town. If you are looking for "real" BBQ you need a cinder block building in the country that's only open on weekends - nothing exists such as this in Chas.

Look into Fulton Five downtown for an upscale meal. It's my favorite.

Jul 23, 2015, 9:10 AM

If you're really looking for BBQ, Dukes is about the only real option. Everything else -- Melvin's, Bessigners, Nicks'...pretty basic.

A lot of folks swear by Home Team BBQ but it never was my cup of tea, either.

Summa cum laude. Magna cum laude. The radio’s too loudy.

Hominy Grill.....then the Hominy Grill....then the Fat Hen

Jul 23, 2015, 7:50 AM

I could walk to Dukes....but I'd ride 20 minutes to Babes in Cross till it closed.... try the ribs at Willie Jewels - and get the 'sweet' sauce.

For seafood... The Marina Variety store...not fancy, but good food and view.

Before it burned down (2 or 3 times) Bowen's Island back when you ate on newspaper and school bus seats was THE place to be. Glad I got to pass beers thru the window back in the day - there was no other oyster place in the lowcountry.... from broke college kids to news anchors after the 11:00 news...they cooked so many oysters in that old fireplace that they moved the empty oyster shells with a front end loader !

Middleton gardens is as nice , if not better than Magnolia.

Re: Hominy Grill.....then the Hominy Grill....then the Fat Hen

Jul 23, 2015, 7:57 AM

I grew up in Charleston and I agree with you about Hominy Grill and Marina Variety Store. If you want something nice, try Magnolias. In my opinion, the best in Charleston.

Drive an hr north on 51 and you can see

Jul 23, 2015, 9:02 AM

Geeville tiger sitting on his dad's front porch in bonneau beach starring at pine trees and Sandy marshes.

Fun fun fun

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Jestine's Kitchen

Jul 23, 2015, 9:08 AM

You must get there early and be okay with waiting in line :)

Everything is good ... Fried chicken is workd famous... For real ... I've never had such fried chicken anywhere.

Jul 23, 2015, 9:09 AM

Sunflower Cafe (West Ashley)!! Nothing fancy, but has the best breakfast in town.

You should spend an afternoon/evening on Shem Creek in Mt. Pleasant. Several restaurants that will meet your budget and lifestyle. Red's Ice House for the more casual, younger, beer drinking crowd; Tavern and Table, Water's Edge, Vickery's, RB's, and more for a casual but a little more upscale. Hey, it's Charleston and summertime, always casual!

Any restaurant on Sullivan's Island***

Jul 23, 2015, 9:10 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Jul 23, 2015, 9:20 AM

Upper King and Morrison Drive are opening new eatin' places faster than I can keep up.

Here's my typical lunch menu on the weeks that I work from the office just to give you an idea of what the locals eat. There are probably better places but these are all proven:

- Duck Club from Tattooed Moose
- Wet Burrito from Santi's
- Chicken 'n' Waffles from Rare Bit
- Pizza at DeAllesandro's (best in the state IMHO) or Monza (not really "hidden", but doesn't get the love it needs).
- Pork loin sandwich with blue cheese cream sauce from Five Loave's Cafe
- Pad thai or Pad See Yu (sp?) from Basil

Hall's is great, Fleet Landing has a view and I've gotten used to their Shrimp and Grits.

Don't get too inundated with all the in-your-face seafood options in the market area. Be patient.

I honestly don't eat seafood a great deal, but The Ordinary & Hanks are just some top-off-head, consistent options. I haven't eaten at either in over a year. Ordinary is a little more swanky. O-Ku is the new sushi spot.

I'd recommend you visit Magnolia Cemetary & Middleton Place & to take a ghost tour of the Old City Jail. Book a private carriage for $100 instead of paying $20/head to sit with the mouthbreathers.

Have fun.

Summa cum laude. Magna cum laude. The radio’s too loudy.

TU for High Cotton. "Fish" on King St is good and reasonably

Jul 23, 2015, 9:42 AM

priced

Jul 23, 2015, 9:50 AM

Coast Brewing makes some #### fine beer. Worth a stop

Poe's Tavern, Husk, Coast, Fleet Landing

Jul 23, 2015, 11:13 AM

Go to Ft. Sumter, go to battery park, take a carriage ride, stroll King Street and shop, check out either Folly beach, Sullivan's Island, or Isle of Palms. Do a night-life tour of King street. There are some really good bars all in a row. There is a really cool joint called the Alley that is basically like a much cooler Dave and Busters with 80's themed arcade games and bowling with full drink service. Very cool place for late night fun.

Fleet Landing***

Jul 23, 2015, 11:29 AM

Jul 23, 2015, 11:29 AM

Early Bird diner..... Blt is made with fried green tomato, homemade fried pickles and the lavender gravy on the fried chicken is amazing . A hidden gem in IMO is the variety store at the marina on Lockwood drive........ If you happen to venture out to the north area..... Hit Park circle. There you'll find Park Pizza, EVO, BBQ Joint, The Dig...... They're all great...... You like craft beers?! Hit up TheBrew Cellar for the best American brews.
Holy city brewing in North Charleston and Westbrook brewery in Mt. Pleasant...... They do all types of awesome events and tastings.

If you wanna do all of that in one place...... Edmond's Oast on Murray Ave. Downtown. That place is AMAZING!!!!!

Jul 23, 2015, 11:30 AM

Morrison not Murray

Thank You All - Thumbs Up, Narrowing the Food List Down

Jul 23, 2015, 8:43 PM

Tiger Fans, I appreciate all of the responses. Sad that TigerWoods didn't respond ;)

Well, after all the money I will be spending on food, thankfully, I have a free place to stay while in town and transportation. :)

It seems like I will be choosing from the following or perhaps over a 4 day period hitting up all of the following:

Hanks
High Cotton
Magnolia
Dukes BBQ
Poogans
Marth Lous Kitchen??
Husk but I am hearing that it is already booked up the weekend I will be in town.

Then will visit Magnolia Plantation. Walk around market and downtown Charleston. Battery. Etc. All that good stuff.

Lady friend doesn't want to do the ghost tour.

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic