Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Top Billin' Murf breaking down our DB weaknesses
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Top Billin' Murf breaking down our DB weaknesses

Jan 6, 2020, 8:47 PM

It's good stuff because it's the truth. Of course it's stuff we already know (Muse and Turner aren't great in man coverage). He just provides the video evidence. The thing he mentions to fix the issue is what I and other people on T-Net have said a few times, but BV has yet to show (hopefully he's saving it for this game). That is to take a LB out, replace him with Muse and insert our 3rd best cover guy who'd I assume is Goodrich. Either you put Goodrich on the outside and move DK to slot (which might make the most sense since DK is probably our DB with the quickest feet) or you swap the two.

If you can't stomach our guys getting beat in coverage, don't watch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzebM8pKFro

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Top Billin' Murf breaking down our DB weaknesses

Jan 6, 2020, 9:40 PM

Yeah, I watched this. Painfully. I noticed how he said it was kind of the same thing as last year, and he spoke positively about Venables adjustments for 'Bama in the natty. Hopefully some of that comes into play this year. Although, I think that OSU game is an advantage for our guys. They faced the most physical NFL ready D in the country, IMO.

Jan 6, 2020, 9:43 PM

Murph is the real deal. His film break down is legit. Have often wondered why he’s not a coach somewhere. I coached on the high school level and never had a coach any better at breaking down game as Murph. Just as god , but not better.

Jan 6, 2020, 9:44 PM

Just as good.

Jan 7, 2020, 8:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Top Billin' Murf breaking down our DB weaknesses ]

Very interesting analysis. The thing I noticed is how Murf kept speaking about the inability of our Safety's to open up thier hips when it comes to man-to-man pass coverage. It doesnt appear that our Cornerbacks have this problem. Dont get me wrong our Cornerbacks have passes caught on them but they are normally on 50/50 balls. The video shows how our Safety's are being left in the dust. Is it me or does some of this get down to coaching. How is it Coach Reed has corners able to open their hips but our Safety's can't? Muse, Turner and Wallace have been getting coached by Conn for 4 years and still are uanble to perfrom a very fundamental skill, opening of the hips, for every Defensive Back. Thank goodness we have Coach V to mitigate these shortcomings. See everyone in Nawlins and look forward to celebrating on Bourbon street after our victory. GO TIGERS.

that’s pretty normal actually

Jan 7, 2020, 9:48 PM

Safeties don’t have the hips and lateral agility of a corner.

Coaches are scouting corners and watching their hip turn. You want it to be fast and fluid without losing speed.

Safeties are typically larger and don’t have the quick hip flip that a CB would have. Especially a strong safety, they are usually run stoppers.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: that’s pretty normal actually

Jan 7, 2020, 11:23 PM

Did a little research on this subject and found that the ability to "open hips in man-to-man coverage" is an ability all DBs, includind Safeties, should have. I am sure there are even drills to develop that ability in players. Attached are links to a couple of articles that I got this information from.

https://247sports.com/college/football/recruiting/Article/Coaches-Breakdown-Scouting-Defensive-Backs-105116074/

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1686933-how-do-scouts-break-down-nfl-safety-prospects

Jan 7, 2020, 8:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Top Billin' Murf breaking down our DB weaknesses ]

Very interesting analysis. The thing I noticed is how Murf kept speaking about the inability of our Safety's to open up thier hips when it comes to man-to-man pass coverage. It doesnt appear that our Cornerbacks have this problem. Dont get me wrong our Cornerbacks have passes caught on them but they are normally on 50/50 balls. The video shows how our Safety's are being left in the dust. Is it me or does some of this get down to coaching. How is it Coach Reed has corners able to open their hips but our Safety's can't? Muse, Turner and Wallace have been getting coached by Conn for 4 years and still are uanble to perfrom a very fundamental skill, opening of the hips, for every Defensive Back. Thank goodness we have Coach V to mitigate these shortcomings. See everyone in Nawlins and look forward to celebrating on Bourbon street after our victory. GO TIGERS.

Jan 6, 2020, 10:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Top Billin' Murf breaking down our DB weaknesses ]

I would like to see our defense at something like a 3-3-5 the majority of the game. Put Muse as one of the LBs with Simmons and Skalski. Denzel or Turner at safety with Wallace. Kendrick, Goodrich and Terrell as our DBs. I know BV will have a good plan but this is the best passing attack offense i think ive ever seen in a college team, not going to lie im really worried about this game.

Jan 6, 2020, 11:27 PM

I was more worried about OSU. Joe will be able to pass but the field gets smaller inside the twenty. Then we tighten up and our smarts and talent shine through.

Jan 6, 2020, 10:01 PM

Hope whoever td this goes back and watches parts 1 and 2. They'd reevaluate the td. I posted part 1 last night and another poster posted part 2. Legit breakdown.

The guys tops on Clemson. Really a big fan of CBV. It's football, not always a popularity contest... And not a cut against our guys. Last year could get away with it because dline could bring pressure on QB... Not so much this year. Was ok against weak competition. Will be very interesting to see how CBV plays it.

Hopefully kvon and Tanner ball out for career games. All that being said, I could careless if burrow5head gets 600 yards as long as we hold em to field goals.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2020, 10:04 PM

Murf is good but I will go with whatever BV decides. He has earned our trust.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2020, 10:26 PM

Slide Muse to LB for this game and put Denzel, Goodrich, or Booth in his place. Muse cannot cover a guy man to man.

Message was edited by: E36Tiger®

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2020, 11:01 PM

1st off BV is a master mind on the defensive side of the ball and will have a good gameplan for this game. Alright now since that's out they way I totally agree with adding more Cornerbacks in the game not Safety's. But this will probably not happen unless we are getting torched out there. BV has trust in certain guys and will play less talented or athletic players that know the system vs more talented or athletic player with less knowledge of the system. But it might not be a bad idea to say Goodrich/Jones/Booth your playing man in the slot all night.

2nd only rushing 3 is a bad idea against this team. To many athletes on LSU side of the ball. XT needs to be let lose and not worrying about eating up blockers for the linebackers in this game. Let XT do what he does best rush off the edge. He will need to have a big night.

3rd I'm not a player or coach and will pull for Clemson all night long. No matter what BV has cooked up. Let's go B2B!!!!!

Jan 6, 2020, 11:11 PM

Good post. Nope, no 3 man will get it. Oklahoma does it all the time and see what happened to them.

Got to get pressure on bur5head and tackle in space and hope he rushes throws and makes bad decisions.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So if he's that bad, why

Jan 6, 2020, 11:13 PM

Didn't Alabama run that all day?
Why didn't UVA run it all day?

From this, besting Clemson is easy peasy!

LSU one on one vs Muse all day. It's over!

Oh man, we will be lucky to have a winning record, let alone win a championship while Tanner is here. How long until he graduates?

I can't take another 2 or 3 years of seeing Clemson get beat. Good thing he hasn't been here long, amirite????

That said, it is a good breakdown

Jan 6, 2020, 11:28 PM

I like the guy.
We'll see if he's right and this is exploited.

Re: So if he's that bad, why

Jan 6, 2020, 11:40 PM [ in reply to So if he's that bad, why ]

That's not how it work's because we all know Muse is not always in man coverage against a slot receiver. He plays a multiple rolls on defense in this scheme and is very good at a lot of them. Also he plays all out with a lot heart on every play, but man coverage is not his strongest ability. As well BV will try to safe guard bad match ups with his scheme.

Re: So if he's that bad, why

Jan 6, 2020, 11:40 PM [ in reply to So if he's that bad, why ]

That's not how it work's because we all know Muse is not always in man coverage against a slot receiver. He plays a multiple rolls on defense in this scheme and is very good at a lot of them. Also he plays all out with a lot heart on every play, but man coverage is not his strongest ability. As well BV will try to safe guard bad match ups with his scheme.

“If you reach, you’re not movie’ your feet”***

Jan 6, 2020, 11:24 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 7, 2020, 8:09 AM

Lol. When I say the same thing y’all get all mad and defensive.

Jan 7, 2020, 11:44 AM

Do you have brothers or sisters? Did anybody ever say/do anything to/about them that you may have said/done?

And how’d that go?

hth?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Jan 7, 2020, 1:22 PM

This doesn’t make any sense Bill.

Jan 7, 2020, 1:15 PM

Yep, I like Top Billin's Murph and his analysis. He's very complete and very fair.

I subscribe to him on youtube. And he's right, they're coming after Tanner Muse.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic