Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tohatsu Outboard Tiller Motors - Any Experience?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Tohatsu Outboard Tiller Motors - Any Experience?

Jul 7, 2020, 7:36 AM

You see these from time to time on C/L being run on 14' jon boats for scooting around on the river. Has anybody ever messed with Tohatsu? I had never heard of them until recently.... They seemed priced right... I'm just looking for something to throw the wife and kids in and bump around the Edisto River. I plan on throwing the motor inside the cabin and chaining the boat up to a tree, out of sight.... so this isn't a high dollar purchase. Just down and dirty.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Small boat building outfit down here used to use them

Jul 7, 2020, 1:02 PM

exclusively. Stauter made wooden boats 14’ and 17’ put Tohatsu 25s on’em. Cheap but low maintenance was the word I remember on them.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

See a lot of people repowering little boat with them

Jul 7, 2020, 1:50 PM

Suzuki isn't a bad choice either.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I see you being all polite and diplomatic...

Jul 7, 2020, 1:51 PM

I think we both know that Force outboards are the gold standard of the industry.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lol

Jul 7, 2020, 1:53 PM

I know very little about these motors, but I have heard across the board that Force is a no-go.

Come on now, it was the outboard for the common man

Jul 7, 2020, 2:17 PM

Similar idea and results to the Ford Pinto.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Way too many dumb Fukkk rednecks around here

Jul 7, 2020, 1:53 PM [ in reply to See a lot of people repowering little boat with them ]

have jon boats, and I really have a hard time buying a motor that they "maintained". The actual boat... yea, that doesn't bother me too bad.

I'm thinking my best way to get into this "market" cheaply would be to buy a used boat for under a grand, slap a Tohatsu motor on it and be ready to roll for under 3 grand.

Yeah, it's kind of like buying a used 4wheeler

Jul 7, 2020, 2:23 PM

Odds are if you find a relatively new one, it's been used and abused worse than (RADIO EDIT)'s wife by State Troopers.

I know the Dave Ramsey's in here would mock and belittle you for it, but most of the major manufactures have pretty good financing incentives right now for the motor only. Not a bad option to look at if you didn't want to shell out the big bucks.

Also, I'd look for a smaller fiberglass center console over a jon boat. Compared to a jon boat it'll ride like a Bentley and not draft much more, if any.

yup

Jul 7, 2020, 3:40 PM

DADadidas wants to get a small (16-18' I assume - he wasn't specific) used pontoon that we could just keep beached down there. The Edisto is pretty big around there, but I think you'd be pretty dang limited with a pontoon. Plus, leaving a pontoon tied off to a cypress tree round the clock would be pretty rough on any upolstry. I assume that you'd just want a plain aluminum deck and some damnn folding chairs that you could set up before going out. I think he's concerned about himself being able to get in and out of a jon boat, but he won't admit it.

I don't think he realizes that you're quite limited as to how nice of a pontoon you can get for like $3000....

Want a 4-stroke B&S with long tiller used 1/hour t-mail****

Jul 7, 2020, 6:40 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How are those things?

Jul 7, 2020, 8:55 PM

bunch of redneck mechanics at work have them and I see them a bunch on the river.

Why you selling?

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic