Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tim Duncan and the Clemson Tigers..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

Tim Duncan and the Clemson Tigers..

Jul 12, 2016, 1:09 AM

96-97 was my FR year. Clemson has Big O, Boogie, Wideman, Buckner... a fun and competitve Clemson team.

In comes Wake Forest, led by stud senior Tim Duncan.

Now you older folks will have to correct me if I'm wrong, but the campout that took place for these tickets on the lawn of LJ was one of the first of its kind.

Tix were handed out Monday morning, and I got out there Fri night. We played NC State on Sat, then went back out to the tent. As the weekend went on, it was clear that WF was a big game not just in the ACC but nationally as well; I believe Clemson and WF were each ranked #2... one in the AP, one on the Coaches.

The party and debauchery, the new friends, kegs, fireworks, streakers running with Clemson flags, people rappelling down the side of Littlejohn, burn barrells... by Sun night the lawn was packed.. easily 1000 people and perhaps double that. What a night and what a great Clemson memory. I did not make my comp science class 8am Mon morning (tickets handed out then) and actually dropped the class for it. Yep, FR priorities.

The game was everything you could ask for short of a win. Duncan was as good as advertised, but so were our Tigers. Can't remember the WF shooting guard, but he ate us up off of Duncan kick outs. It came down to a final 3 point Clemson shot that would have tied it, but was missed.

Great game, super fun Clemson memory. Anyone else there?
Anyone have similar experiences prior to this?

Message was edited by: soywaker®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Tim Duncan and the Clemson Tigers..

Jul 12, 2016, 1:32 AM

Wasn't there but I believe the WF guard was Randolph Childress.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was thinking Justin Gray, but think you are correct.***

Jul 12, 2016, 5:38 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 12, 2016, 8:36 AM [ in reply to Re: Tim Duncan and the Clemson Tigers.. ]

I think it was Childers who was a great college player but didnt do much in the NBA as I recall

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

nope, Randolph graduated when Duncan was a Fr or So***

Jul 13, 2016, 1:48 AM [ in reply to Re: Tim Duncan and the Clemson Tigers.. ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was there

Jul 12, 2016, 2:32 AM

I miss those big games.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Ahhhh...bball relevancy. Anybody remember loved "Baby

Jul 12, 2016, 2:41 AM

Schwarzenegger" dunks. Loved watching Jamison bring down the rim!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ahhhh...bball relevancy. Anybody remember loved "Baby

Jul 12, 2016, 2:52 AM

Buckner, McIntyre, Jamison...

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Jul 12, 2016, 3:37 AM

Awesome time to watch Tiger basketball.

Jul 12, 2016, 5:06 AM

It really was an awesome time. I was a student then but did not get to do any of the camping out because of work. I was at that game....but I had received tickets because my Dad had won them at work.

Jul 12, 2016, 8:45 AM [ in reply to Re: Ahhhh...bball relevancy. Anybody remember loved "Baby ]

My only gripe with that team was watching O shoot FT's. That was painful

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 12, 2016, 3:11 AM

Goes to show Clemson fans and students WILL attend basketball games and rock the John if we put a good team on the court.

We had a very similar camp out in 1990 when

Jul 12, 2016, 5:45 AM

Elden Campbell, Dale Davis and the Tigers beat Duke for the ACC regular season title. It was wild. Cliff Ellis personally appeared too and handed out pizza.

Re: We had a very similar camp out in 1990 when

Jul 21, 2016, 8:20 PM

Yea , I remember that game well . Cliff let the players cut down the nets and then he came out to cut down the last strand .

There was a long celebration with everyone shouting " Acc Acc Acc " . Great time definitely.

Jul 12, 2016, 6:25 AM

That was just after I graduated but I remember how excited the fans were for such a big game. And we came so close.

I really miss having exciting basketball teams.

We camped out for several the year before as well

Jul 12, 2016, 6:44 AM

I still have a pair of gloves that smell like smoke from the burn barrels that bring back great memories from those games.

Greatest memory is camping for 3 days and getting seats right behind the UNC bench. During the game Dean Smith started jawing at the refs during a timeout and Rick Barnes comes to end of the scorers table and says "Sit down old man, this is my house!"

Another thing was we always coordinated the timing and who was camping which might without a hiccup and all without cell phones.

And it was Childress that killed us from the outside that night. I was 2nd row that night behind our bench.

Re: We camped out for several the year before as well

Jul 12, 2016, 7:53 AM

I may have been at this game too. But I was in the very last row at the top. :) it was still really exciting times.

it is so disappointing...

Jul 12, 2016, 7:41 AM

that I do not remember it better than I do. I believe I was a sophomore and the memories are faint.

Rick Barnes fielded an incredible team and there was tons of excitement with the basketball program. I too remember rotating shifts at the ticket line. One of the great memories of my college years.

Do any of you remember where you were during the ACC tournament when Greg Buckner dunked for the win? Had to be my all time basketball memory as a student.

I was on a first date with my first wife, a CU grad.

Jul 12, 2016, 9:02 AM

We had gone out to eat and were riding to a dessert bar. I was dying to check in on the game but didn't want to ignore her on our first date. Finally, I said something like "mind if I check on the basketball game?" She said, "Thought you'd never say that. It's on 96.3FM."

Re: I was on a first date with my first wife, a CU grad.

Jul 12, 2016, 9:18 AM

Pretty cool story. I was watching it with a group of guys and we all went ape sh** when he dunked. Not as good of a story as yours, but nonetheless, very memorable. Thanks for sharing.

Re: it is so disappointing...

Jul 12, 2016, 9:52 AM [ in reply to it is so disappointing... ]

I was stranded in NC near Greensboro during a freak blizzard when that game occurred. I watched it with a family of Clemson fans and we all went berserk.

Yes, I was in Johnstone F Annex watching when Buckner

Jul 12, 2016, 10:29 AM [ in reply to it is so disappointing... ]

made the dunk to beat UNC. The dorm went nuts.

Randolph Childress

Jul 12, 2016, 8:42 AM

always good for 40 pts in the ACC Tourney

Yep, he was a good one.***

Jul 12, 2016, 9:19 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was there and remember it well. I bet Duncan does too.

Jul 12, 2016, 8:42 AM

The crowd was nuts. One of the very few times I walked out of a loss without being angry (like this year's National Championship and the 2005 3OT loss to Miami).

Fun times.

null

Jul 12, 2016, 8:43 AM

i was a freshman that year and wasn't at the game, but we had our room in johnstone packed to watch it!

Jul 12, 2016, 9:14 AM

Took a helicopter from Savannah to the game. We landed on the practice field next to the Gov who had taken a helicopter also.

so i got a brother who took a helicopter from savannah

Jul 12, 2016, 5:17 PM

to this game.used my tickets
i don't think you are him though

Message was edited by: henry®

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 12, 2016, 9:25 AM

what I remember is the bush league charge called on Boogie in the final seconds when we had the ball with a chance to either tie or win.

Jul 12, 2016, 9:26 AM

Took a helicopter from Savannah to the game. We landed on the practice field next to the Gov who had taken a helicopter also.

camped out Jan 1980 when we beat #1 Duke

Jul 12, 2016, 9:26 AM

came down with the flu and was admitted to Redfern (they had impatient beds back then) after the game.
Sat behind Steve Fuller, Dwight Clark and Shawn Weatherly.
Students were guaranteed a seat back then and we set an attendance record being several thousand over capacity. Fire marshals not happy.

Yes, I was there. I think we were #2 and they were

Jul 12, 2016, 10:32 AM

#4 in the main poll. I remember that it was close, but I also remember thinking whatever Wake needed to win, Duncan and/or Childress would do it for them. They were just too good.

I doubt that ever happened.

Jul 12, 2016, 5:21 PM

Haven't you heard, Clemson fans won't support basketball. Seriously though LJ will be rocking again soon, as soon as we are fun again. I believe the next two years will be gun again. That said, college basketball as a whole isn't as great as it was back on 1996. Tim Duncan stayed 4 years. I couldn't imagine that today.

there were several "all-nighters" waiting for tix/seats

Jul 12, 2016, 5:41 PM

in the mid-70's..........not that I was there, mind you.....I musta read about it in a book....:~)

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i remember it well...

Jul 12, 2016, 10:36 PM

Great game but Duncan was unstoppable. Had to go to 7th grade math at RC Edwards Jr High and hear it from a handful of haters....

I was there, it was my first Jr. year

Jul 12, 2016, 11:20 PM

I parked my RV and we crammed like 10 people in it that night, we even made the AP mention "hundreds of tents and one RV!"

I was there, it was my first Jr. year

Jul 12, 2016, 11:20 PM

I parked my RV and we crammed like 10 people in it that night, we even made the AP mention "hundreds of tents and one RV!"

The guard was Tony Rutland and he drew a controversial

Jul 13, 2016, 1:51 AM

charge(shocker right?) on Jurkunis to put them ahead

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is correct.......

Jul 19, 2016, 2:30 PM

:(

Go read a March to the Madness

Jul 19, 2016, 2:29 PM

It is a heck of a book and there is a whole chapter on just this game.

One thing I remember is Odum surprising us and starting a kid last name Woods, who was also over 7 ft tall. That really threw us for a loop.

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic