Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tigernet Challenge: Who was better Tajh Boyd or Woody
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 52
| visibility 1

Tigernet Challenge: Who was better Tajh Boyd or Woody

Apr 7, 2016, 1:40 PM

Dantzler?

This is very very close, imo.

Woody is either our first our 2nd best running QB ever, but TB ran very effectively at times and was a tough inside runner.

TB was also a very good passer just not as good as our current #4.

I'll take Tajh by a hair.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tigernet Challenge: Who was better Tajh Boyd or Woody

Apr 7, 2016, 1:44 PM

I would have to give the nod to Tajh by more than a 'hair' based upon a larger or lengthy(er) body of work and overall success of the program during his time.

I did love me some Woodrow Dantzler, tho' - and still do!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Apr 7, 2016, 1:46 PM

woody was special, but no where near a complete QB and had an average arm. He is still the best Running QB to ever step foot in the valley though.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 7, 2016, 1:48 PM

Better than Homer Jordan?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, better runner than Homer but not as good a passer.***

Apr 7, 2016, 1:53 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great runner but I'm not sure he's a better runner than DW4.***

Apr 7, 2016, 1:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Tigernet Challenge: Who was better Tajh Boyd or Woody ]

Woody by a length***

Apr 7, 2016, 1:57 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd say Woody

Apr 7, 2016, 10:36 PM

Boyd was surrounded by much more talent than Woody ever had. Imo, there have been 3 Tigers in my time that could completely take over a game : DW4 / CJ/ Dantzler

Give Woody the talent Boyd had, he'd have been an absolute nightmare for OC's

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Re: Great runner but I'm not sure he's a better runner than DW4.***

Apr 7, 2016, 4:53 PM [ in reply to Great runner but I'm not sure he's a better runner than DW4.*** ]

I agree with the others that Woody is the best running QB we ever had. DW is great, but really benefits from his threat on defenses in the passing game. Woody was the first ever in the NCAA to pass for 2000 and rush for 1000 in a year. Good debate. On your original question I would have to say Tajh gets the nod based on team accomplishments and personal records (team and conference) during his time.

Apr 7, 2016, 2:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Tigernet Challenge: Who was better Tajh Boyd or Woody ]

DW is the greatest running QB to step foot in the valley IMO. Woody was nasty but nobody has the feel that DW has.

Apr 7, 2016, 2:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Tigernet Challenge: Who was better Tajh Boyd or Woody ]

Woody was the first to throw for 2000 and rush for a 1000. So I'd say he was complete

Tahj Boyd was the first real qb since Steve fuller

Apr 7, 2016, 1:49 PM

Real qb in the sense of being a great passer. I'm guessing Steve fuller was the last. But every qb I can remember were all kinda projects that did sufficient but weren't prototypical Qbs. Woody was more of an athlete than a qb imo. I thought he was great but he wasn't better than Tajh.

I'm guessing

Apr 7, 2016, 1:51 PM

you forgot Charlie Whitehurst.

Tajh

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Charlie Whitehurst says hey

Apr 7, 2016, 1:52 PM [ in reply to Tahj Boyd was the first real qb since Steve fuller ]

SMH

Charlie Whitehurst is a better QB than TB***

Apr 7, 2016, 1:54 PM [ in reply to Tahj Boyd was the first real qb since Steve fuller ]

Said this many times here on T Net...

Apr 7, 2016, 2:54 PM

and have been told i was crazy. imagine the passing numbers CW would have with the wr's at clemson during the time TB played.

It would have been alot of fun....

Apr 7, 2016, 1:50 PM

watching Woody play in Chad Morris' offense.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

It would have also have been fun to watch him playing

Apr 7, 2016, 1:52 PM

option QB on our 1987-1991 teams.

We may have won another NC.

If Woody got to play with the talent TB did, it wouldn't

Apr 7, 2016, 1:53 PM

even be a discussion...And Woodrow is our best running QB

Better runner than DW4?***

Apr 7, 2016, 1:54 PM

yes...the TD before the half @ GT, the 74 yarder vs UVA...

Apr 7, 2016, 1:59 PM

Woody without a doubt

Re: Better runner than DW4?***

Apr 7, 2016, 2:00 PM [ in reply to Better runner than DW4?*** ]

While (imho) DW4 HAS thrown a pass (or four) into coverage that (AGAIN, imho) he probably shouldn't have, in my almost 40 years of being a Tiger, I am going to have to say that DW4 is the BEST we've EVER had, passing OR running ...

...yeah, I know, I like to go out on a limb, be controversial, etc., make bold and brash statements!

DW is certainly the best QB to play at CU, but he wasn't a

Apr 7, 2016, 2:01 PM

better runner than Woodrow

Re: DW is certainly the best QB to play at CU, but he wasn't a

Apr 7, 2016, 2:07 PM

ok

we disagree

Apr 7, 2016, 2:48 PM [ in reply to DW is certainly the best QB to play at CU, but he wasn't a ]

on bball coach for sure. but on this one, i agree. i cringe when dw takes off because of hits but woody could take a hit and dish out a hit. woody was a pure runner who could throw.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

people rarely got a clean hit on Woodrow, and he had a neck

Apr 7, 2016, 4:22 PM

like Mike Tyson

This...

Apr 7, 2016, 2:41 PM [ in reply to If Woody got to play with the talent TB did, it wouldn't ]

Sammy Watkins, Nuk Hopkins, Martavis Bryant, Dwayne Allen...even Adam Humphries. Everyone he threw to is playing on Sundays. Heck, Peake will be on that list soon.

Re: If Woody got to play with the talent TB did, it wouldn't

Apr 7, 2016, 2:43 PM [ in reply to If Woody got to play with the talent TB did, it wouldn't ]

That is just dumb to say. Tajh was a beast. He did throw some costly picks at times and Usuck rattled him but you put Woody on his teams and we go 8-4 IMO.

Re: If Woody got to play with the talent TB did, it wouldn't

Apr 7, 2016, 2:49 PM

that's just kooky talk

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

If you put TB on a Woody's teams we likely don't make a

Apr 7, 2016, 4:25 PM [ in reply to Re: If Woody got to play with the talent TB did, it wouldn't ]

bowl

Tajh was a product of the system and talent around him

Apr 7, 2016, 1:57 PM

Woody was the offense. Woody was electrifying and a homerun threat any time he had the ball. Edge to Woody.

that's completely false***

Apr 7, 2016, 3:12 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

woody versus nc state

Apr 7, 2016, 2:02 PM

in raleigh was one of the best performances i've ever witnessed. but you cannot compare tajh vs woody. different eras and different qb's. lucky to have both. btw, charlie was pretty ### good too.

strange you should mention these two QB's

Apr 7, 2016, 2:05 PM

Woody played a little in the pros (had the longest run back in Cowboy history) so I would go with Woody. He was definitely Shake and Bake at CU but Tajh was a really neat guy on top of being a good player.

I'd take both TBH......

Apr 7, 2016, 2:12 PM

Loved WD... if he'd had better talent and a little better coaching we would have won the ACC in 2000(especially).......

Also loved TB..... Did a lot of great things for Clemson....(except for beating USuCk, but that's another conversation for another day).......

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 7, 2016, 2:21 PM

Woody to Rod Gardner - The Catch II :)

However, TB better all around IMHO.

Woody

Apr 7, 2016, 2:54 PM

More electric runner and, imo, a more accurate passer who was surrounded with less talent.

Tajh was more accurate, you're right about the runner part***

Apr 7, 2016, 3:10 PM

Re: Tajh was more accurate, you're right about the runner part***

Apr 7, 2016, 3:18 PM

Go look at Woody's stats versus NCSU. The 3 3 incompletions where on 2 balls batted at the line of scrimmage and another which Woody chose to throw away.

Re: Tajh was more accurate, you're right about the runner part***

Apr 7, 2016, 3:19 PM

*omit one 3

Apr 7, 2016, 2:55 PM

Woody

If not for Tajh's bad games against FSU & SCAR he may

Apr 7, 2016, 3:03 PM

have been neck and neck in popular opinion w/ Deshaun in terms of his skillset. I think Tajh was a considerably better quarterback than Woody, and I think Tajh's ACC record speaks for itself.

Tajh was better, but Woody was the trailblazer...

Apr 7, 2016, 3:09 PM

For the modern dual threat QB in college

Okay josephg@...

Apr 7, 2016, 3:22 PM

... we have all chimed in, and since this was your OP, I will hang up and wait for you to tally and post the results of our 'votes'.

TIA :)

(and good post to get us going before DW4's last - and one and only - spring game this weekend! +1 )

I truly love both. But I'll take Woody.

Apr 7, 2016, 4:32 PM

Tajh had a better long ball though, so its close!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Apr 7, 2016, 10:06 PM

There was just something about the years with Tajh. It was everything....the coaches....the other players around him.....the improvement on all sides of the ball. I felt our day was coming. DW4...has made that feeling continue.

WD was special. But I never could figure out what happened in the 2001 Gator Bowl. That was my first bowl game.....what a long and sad drive home. We were all so grumpy.

Apr 7, 2016, 10:08 PM

They worked in two different systems. Woody was the better Q.B.

Apr 7, 2016, 10:35 PM

Quite frankly it's not close, Tajh was a 3 time all-acc player (including 2 first team selections) and an all american.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Apr 7, 2016, 10:44 PM

Tahj

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Tough call, but give me Woody

Apr 7, 2016, 11:02 PM

running Tony Elliot's offense. Those design runs DW4 had that went for 20 yard gains would've been TD's.

Apr 7, 2016, 11:35 PM

Give me Mr Dantzler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge0MSO4cAS0&nohtml5=False

Apr 8, 2016, 12:43 AM

I will always give credit to TB for being a good QB who played well for the team and represented the school well. But... I also think many forget how scary WD was to other DC's. Other than him there were not a ton of game changing players on the team. Travis Zachary was ok, and there was Rod Gardner and Youngblood. All guys we pulled for and liked, but I still will always say WD was the most electrifying man in college Football. If you put him on the 2011-2014 teams, I say we win as many if not several more games. WD was an incredible talent for the college level. And as others have said, that Charlie dude was pretty decent as well!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tajh Boyd, easily.

Apr 8, 2016, 2:07 AM

Woody was a great athlete and put up some great numbers, but Tajh was a much better passer and more complete QB. He was also much more successful leader.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Replies: 52
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic