Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thumbs down for the Virginia Tech Athletic Department
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Thumbs down for the Virginia Tech Athletic Department

Sep 28, 2017, 11:00 PM

I read in an email from Tiger Band that the Va Tech AD has relegated the Clemson pep band to the top of the upper deck.

I hope the CUAD remembers this the next time the Marching Virginians come to Clemson. Very tacky.

I saw Miami did the same to the FSU Marching Chiefs. The ACC should tell the member schools to cut it out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thumb down for Virginia Tech Athletic Department

Sep 28, 2017, 11:06 PM

I'm sure Clemson will be bigger than that and not do what you suggest but I sometimes wish we would give as good as is sent. I get tired of seeing us slapped when we turn the other cheek. Hopefully the team will do some slapping of the Hokies. I guess coming from a school who plays and cheers over your alma mater it should be expected

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Uhmmm, we returned the favor to Auburn so maybe not....***

Sep 29, 2017, 8:10 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thumb down for Virginia Tech Athletic Department

Sep 28, 2017, 11:07 PM

Meanwhile we put our visiting bands in the most acoustically advantageous block of seating in the whole building. While our home band has to use mics to let the fans hear them. Where our band sits, the sound just go right out of the stadium. Visiting bands sound like they have an amplifier down there in the West end zone.

We could put the opposing band in the upper corner

Sep 29, 2017, 1:56 AM

that is always empty and free up the good seats to sell

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We could put the opposing band in the upper corner

Sep 29, 2017, 7:12 AM

Rumor has it that the student section is usually empty..... ideal place for visiting team's band ??

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tell me about it! I couldn't hear Tiger Rag during the

Sep 29, 2017, 2:26 AM [ in reply to Re: Thumb down for Virginia Tech Athletic Department ]

team's entrance during the Auburn game because of their band. Then they decided to play something AFTER the game right before the playing of the alma mater. I wasn't amused.

It's amazing how loud the away band is

Sep 29, 2017, 1:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Thumb down for Virginia Tech Athletic Department ]

to those sitting in the south upper deck.

I say have a mass spit valve cleaning and pour it out on the lower deckers

Sep 28, 2017, 11:09 PM

That’ll teach ‘em

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it won't make any difference in the result.

Sep 29, 2017, 1:34 AM

but after the game when the players come over to the visiting fans for the alma mater, it will be weird to have the pep band at the top of the upper deck, that will be otherwise empty.

maybe they should show the ridiculousness of that on TV to shame the castrated turkeys.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: it won't make any difference in the result.

Sep 29, 2017, 2:38 AM

If this is true it will just validate my opinion of allowing VPI into the league. i.e. Louisville. Miami,etc.

Not sure if this is true, but I like it. Many times

Sep 29, 2017, 5:40 AM

when Clemson plays on the road Tiger Band is on the front rows and fans behind them, especially in upper deck, can't hear them play.

Great example was Louisville. Tiger Band was up front at goal line. I was in upper deck directly above them and never heard a note of Tiger Rag. All of us in upper deck just spelled Clemson when we saw folks in lower deck raise their hands to count it off.

Late in the game, Tiger Band turned around and played towards us...and it was great.

Having Tiger Band at top, at least in Blacksburg, will allow the entire Clemson section to hear the band. So, for Clemson fans at game, this will be a good thing.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

YeP, at UL game we upperdeckers never heard TiGER Band below..so maybe

Sep 29, 2017, 6:47 AM

having PeP Band in uppers at VT (with Tiger Fans probably up there too) won't be so bad after all..

but above poster was right in that visting bands at Clemson get the very best seat in the stadium in that the low corner section which affords them a great seat to see as well as blast us with their sounds.

A subject that needs addressing by ACC & Clemson..the location of bands home & away.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pep Band vs Tiger Band

Sep 29, 2017, 7:45 AM [ in reply to Not sure if this is true, but I like it. Many times ]

I'm confused. I read this post and thought "Isn't that a long walk for the band that'll need to be on the field at halftime?"

Are we talking about the full Tiger Band in the upper deck? Or is this some small 8-person pep band?

I really can't see anyone making our full band sit in the upper deck and have to carry instruments Up, Down, Up and Down to & from the upper deck of the stadium. That seems cruel. And unusual.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pep Band vs Tiger Band

Sep 29, 2017, 7:53 AM

Pep band...think: what you see of band for basketball games.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pep Band vs Tiger Band

Sep 29, 2017, 8:47 AM [ in reply to Pep Band vs Tiger Band ]

I get a weekly email because I give annually to CUTBA. It said pep band -- two busses. I guess that means about 80-100 members of Tiger Band, depending on whether cheerleaders share the same busses. Pep band does not perform on field at halftime. May not hear them on TV unless ABC can mic them all the way up there.

Last time FSU played at Miami, they had the whole FSU band (450+ members) in the upper deck at Hard Rock Stadium. It reduced their effectiveness (such as the tomahawk chop) as they were far from the field and like you said, they were not playing much in the 2nd and 3rd quarters as they were making their way from the upper deck to and from the field for their halftime performance.

The ACC really should address this issue. Not much can be done in non-conference away games unless the CUAD negotiates it into the game contract.

I was sitting several rows behind them at Louisville...

Sep 29, 2017, 7:52 AM [ in reply to Not sure if this is true, but I like it. Many times ]

and still couldn't hear them

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Hey Scott! Where are y'all broadcasting from Saturday?***

Sep 29, 2017, 10:56 AM [ in reply to Not sure if this is true, but I like it. Many times ]

Re: Thumbs down for the Virginia Tech Athletic Department

Sep 29, 2017, 6:58 AM

We should do same thing.... especially to gatech and FSU

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Sep 29, 2017, 6:59 AM

by late in the third quarter, all you'll be hearing is our band over and over and over again...it'll be glorius

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Sep 29, 2017, 7:10 AM

I was told all 4300, or however many tickets our Athletic Department got, was in put in the endzone upper deck. Like you said, that includes the band. Total bush league and low class in my opinion.

When did Lane Stadium get an upper deck? (pic)

Sep 29, 2017, 8:44 AM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That picture was most likely taken from their little upper deck

Sep 29, 2017, 8:55 AM

Endzone sections 400 and 500

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: That picture was most likely taken from their little upper deck

Sep 29, 2017, 10:08 AM

Yes, probably. That looks to be about the same height as the rest of the stadium, though.

Most of Lane consists of some very steep, single deck seating.

At any point, the top of the stadium is way up there for sure.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cut and paste from the email from Tiger Band:

Sep 29, 2017, 9:05 AM [ in reply to When did Lane Stadium get an upper deck? (pic) ]

"Greetings from Tigertown!

After a nerve-wracking win over Boston College on a very hot day in Death Valley and a great visit with parents for Parents Day, Tiger Band began practice this week for Homecoming. Our theme will be “75th Anniversary of Tiger Rag at Clemson.” More on that next week!

This Saturday morning 2 busses will depart for Blacksburg, Virginia to cheer on the Tigers at Virginia Tech. Unfortunately their athletic department is seating us in the top of the upper deck, but we’ll be sure to play loud and proud for the Tigers! Look for us in the nosebleed section!!!"

fyi - VPI UD is nothing like Death Valley UD, it like our LD***

Sep 29, 2017, 8:51 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

I didn't even know they had an upper deck...

Sep 29, 2017, 9:00 AM

aside from a semi upper deck in one endzone.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Sep 29, 2017, 9:07 AM

Every band that comes to Lane Stadium is in the upper deck with the visiting fans' tickets. Why would we make season ticket holder sit up there and visiting team sit lower? all joking aside, a lot of schools do that with visiting fans/bands.

Wrong. Not many schools put the band in the upper deck. It is

Sep 29, 2017, 9:15 AM

very tacky. Total bush league and low class in my opinion. Va Tech used to put the visiting bands in section 101 in next to the field in the endzone. I have never seen our band in the upper deck at any stadium before this game. Congratulations Va Tech, you are leading the race to the bottom.

Like most, Clemson reserves a small section at field level for visiting bands and fans.

Actually

Sep 29, 2017, 9:27 AM [ in reply to Re: Thumbs down for the Virginia Tech Athletic Department ]

the last time CU was at Lame our band was in the end zone lower corner. Also, CU has never put a visiting band in the upper deck at Memorial Stadium. Further, for all the away games I've been to the CU band has always been in the lower level.

Sep 29, 2017, 9:47 AM [ in reply to Re: Thumbs down for the Virginia Tech Athletic Department ]

This is the first year the visiting band has been in the upper deck. I believe there is a few SEC teams that do it as well. Maybe not as common as I think, but I dont know. It isnt a big deal.

sounds hokie to me***

Sep 29, 2017, 10:27 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Miami, Nebraska, Minnesota, Miss State(sometimes) all

Sep 29, 2017, 10:51 AM [ in reply to Re: Thumbs down for the Virginia Tech Athletic Department ]

have visiting bands sit in the upper decks

Best Is The Standard

Re: Miami, Nebraska, Minnesota, Miss State(sometimes) all

Sep 29, 2017, 1:36 PM

I have heard at Miami games you basically can sit wherever you want since there is no one there.

Yeah, its BS to complain about this. Who cares wherethe home

Sep 29, 2017, 10:33 AM [ in reply to Re: Thumbs down for the Virginia Tech Athletic Department ]

team sits the band? They are getting a block of seats by the Home Team to a highly anticipated game- why should they try to sit them up front where they can blast away all night?

Best Is The Standard

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic