Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thoughts on honoring our "seniors" at the top of the hill on
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Thoughts on honoring our "seniors" at the top of the hill on

Oct 30, 2013, 10:10 AM

Senior day.

In the past we have allowed our seniors to come down the hill one by one after the team and receive recognition and thanks from the fans. I love this tradition, but have one slight issue. We have often also allowed non-senior members of our team who have made it clear they are leaving early to do the same. What do you think about this? I think we should reserve the honor for 4 year letter winners or players who have graduated/will graduate prior to their leaving early.

Pic that made me think about this again:
Clemson vs. South Carolina Photos - 2010, Football, Kyle Parker, South Carolina

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agreed***

Oct 30, 2013, 10:11 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Parker rolls right, and throws it out of bounds.***

Oct 30, 2013, 10:12 AM

Re: Parker rolls right, and throws it out of bounds.***

Oct 30, 2013, 10:14 AM

That's the way to kick our players under the bus.

You should be proud

more like Parker rolls right and throws it across his body

Oct 30, 2013, 10:16 AM [ in reply to Parker rolls right, and throws it out of bounds.*** ]

for an INT. Why did he keep doing that?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Because he was running for his life and had no one to throw

Oct 30, 2013, 10:21 AM

to.

That doesn't help, anyways.

idoit***

Oct 30, 2013, 10:17 AM [ in reply to Parker rolls right, and throws it out of bounds.*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and gets booed at baseball***

Oct 31, 2013, 12:03 AM [ in reply to Parker rolls right, and throws it out of bounds.*** ]

I thouht Parker was the only one - maybe not. I think

Oct 30, 2013, 10:23 AM

it should be seniors only and that Clemson not a coach decides who is classified as a senior. Aren't all students classified by the school.

Otherwise; Just call it "Last time to see a player" day!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

could be, but a precedent was made with him.

Oct 30, 2013, 12:05 PM

Just like the tombstone for the 03/04 Peach Bowl win over UT was the first for a bowl win, but now we have others (like LSU win).

I dunno...

Oct 30, 2013, 10:48 AM

I understand what you're saying, and I can sort of agree with you, but let's just use Sammy as an example. He's a 3 year starter, All-American, a Top-5 draft pick and will have given us approx 3,000 receiving yards. He's carried our team on his back and singlehandedly won games for us. He's earned his dues, and if he leaves, I completely understand and wish him well. While he's not a senior, I say he's deserved his spot to walk down the hill like he is one.

But this honor is for SENIORS on SENIOR day

Oct 30, 2013, 12:00 PM

it is the only honor some players will receive in their career because they weren't All-American players with thousands of yards or hundreds of tackles in their career. To me, I see the honor as for those players with full careers - either athletically (4 year player), academically (graduate), or both.

To me, it seems to spoil the honor of recognizing a FULL career when it becomes: "Senior and Really Good Players Who are Going Pro Day".

So, 5th year walk-on you've never heard of -

Oct 30, 2013, 12:06 PM

Never even played a snap, he gets the honor. Nuk, or Sammy - someone that's given 110% every snap they've played, they don't. Sammy's probably played 50x the amount snaps as some of the seniors that'll leave this year. Personally, I'd say he's earned his dues. I see your side, I just can't say I totally agree on this one.

They all work just as hard in practice

Oct 30, 2013, 12:10 PM

and that 5th year walk-on did it for 5 years while Sammy did it for 3.

I'm not saying I'm not grateful for everything Sammy did for this program, but I think this particular honor belongs to guys who stuck it out, finished school, and exhausted their eligibility.

There are other honors for Tigers in the pros, let the guys who stuck it out for 4, 5, even 6 years have this one.

But the reason you have heard of Sammy and Nuk

Oct 30, 2013, 12:12 PM [ in reply to So, 5th year walk-on you've never heard of - ]

is because of all the accolades they have received. The 5th year senior with very few snaps gets honored at the top of the hill on senior day as his ONLY accolade and recognition. The sheer fact that he made it all 5 years without the opportunity to be in the spotlight potentially shows MORE determination and MORE effort because he had to be a motivation unto himself. Don't discount a guy just because he didn't catch TDs.

Non-seniors should not be allowed to do it. PERIOD!***

Oct 30, 2013, 11:05 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Unless they're grad students***

Oct 30, 2013, 12:11 PM

I'd also be okay with a player leaving early if they had

Oct 30, 2013, 12:15 PM

already finished school. For instance Rashard Hall - had he decided to leave as a RS Jr, then he still would have had a year of eligibility left, but he had already graduated. He, in my opinion, would have been worthy of that "senior" recognition as a graduating senior in the classroom.

there's no we in that decision, that is the coaches decision

Oct 30, 2013, 11:34 AM

and that's the bottom line

Aren't WE (the fans) the ones honoring the players?

Oct 30, 2013, 11:57 AM

Wouldn't it be a terrible decision to have a player up there that the fans didn't want to honor - not that such a player has existed (even KP)?

what would you do if you had

Oct 30, 2013, 12:34 PM

a guy like Russell Wilson? Transferred here for his final year after graduating elsewhere?

That would be a little tricky, but IMO

Oct 30, 2013, 12:47 PM

this is an honor for a full career, so unless he had somehow managed to graduate with his graduate degree, I don't think I would consider his career eligible for that specific honor.

That's a weird example...

Oct 30, 2013, 12:55 PM [ in reply to what would you do if you had ]

Russell Wilson, for some reason, seems to act like his NCSU career never happened. He claims Wisconsin in all his pregame announcements and I've never even heard him acknowledge NC State in anything post-college. I've got a friend that's a Seahawks fan and HUGE NFL'er - and he wasn't even aware Wilson even played at NCSU. If we had a player do that, I'd forget they ever existed.

Re: Thoughts on honoring our "seniors" at the top of the hill on

Oct 30, 2013, 9:27 PM

That was a disgusting display and Dabo's head was planted firmly up that guys rectum. He should have been benched early in the season. After the hit at Auburn he mailed it in. Plus, he looks like Edward the teenage homersexual vampire from Twilight.....disgusting.

I didn't like it but pretty sure that was the only time***

Oct 30, 2013, 11:55 PM

GO TIGERS

Senior day is for guys that have been here 4 years

Oct 31, 2013, 12:20 AM

That curtain call is for them.

I agree!***

Oct 31, 2013, 12:22 AM

Excellent question proferred here.....

Oct 31, 2013, 1:12 AM

nuk and Sammy are legends. They deserve this......

I agree 100%! Leaving early = no senior day honor.***

Oct 31, 2013, 1:20 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Just because a player deserves to be rememebred among the all time greats

Oct 31, 2013, 3:26 AM

Doesn't mean he deserves the regcogniton given to Seniors on Senior day.

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic