Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thoughts on bowl games and the CFP
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

Thoughts on bowl games and the CFP

Dec 21, 2020, 10:53 PM

I heard Mack Brown and others talking about opt outs and how players not in CFP are continuing to opt out of bowl games. Why does CFP matter ??? UNC was not going to be in a playoff, and didn’t earn the right to play for championship. Players opting out are simply making a decision for themselves, and if we didn’t have playoff system they would still choose to opt out due to no championship opportunity.

Every year since I have watched football there has always been a few teams that are just simply better than the rest. Did people complain when Miami/Nebraska we’re winning multiple championships in the original bowl system ??? No, because they were the best. Well, nothing has changed. Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State(do not like them but they are full of great talent) are simply the best teams in CFB over the last 6 years. LSU fluke season was incredible but this year proved they aren’t ready to sustain greatness at this time.

The 4 team playoff is perfect and nothing needs to change. Only possibility, and this is extremely possible, is moving to 6 teams with top 2 having bye weeks. This idea will gain traction as it adds a couple teams but doesn’t water down the season. Of course the 3rd and 4th teams will be pissed they aren’t 1 or 2 and teams ranked 7th and 8th will be upset since they just missed out. BUT, the regular season has to matter and being lower than top 6 means your season wasn’t good enough.

Opt outs are going to happen and regardless of how the system works teams with 2/3 losses or more do not and should not be considered championship teams. Are there too many bowl games now ??? Yes, they are too many. But, the bowl games are a lot of fun and I hate people(analyst/media/coaches) saying they don’t matter anymore. Why did CFP change that ??? Was the winner of the Belk Bowl, Taxslayer Bowl, Gator Bowl, Citrus Bowl ever going to be champions ??? NO!!!! The Bowls are just like before, it’s just that the top 4 play for the championship, which is still 2 more teams have chances that they never did before or had very little chance.

I don’t understand why bowl games don’t matter like they did before CFP. It defies logic and sounds like a bunch of whining and complaining from bitter people.

If Clemson was 8-4, 9-3, and had a bowl game to play I would still care and be excited for another game to see my Tigers!!! I’m sure the players and coaches would feel excited to get another game to have fun playing in possibly the last chance to play football!!! Not everyone gets in NFL, I think it’s like 10% of players play another down of competitive football in their lives. That one more game could provide an experience unlike any they had before or will again in their future.

I am passionate about football and our Tigers. I’ll be the first to admit I get wound up and mad/upset at times during games. I have posted dumb/stupid comments in moments during games that I regret. But I will always love Clemson football. The players, the coaches, the staff, and all those involved with helping the football team, THANK YOU for the commitment. While I have been thrilled with the present success, I was a fan when things were a lot different. Sometimes I need to be reminded and understand this is not easy. Clemson just makes it look that way so often lol ??

Sorry so long. Go Tigers!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thoughts on bowl games and the CFP

Dec 21, 2020, 11:25 PM

That was a very good and thoughtful post, thank you. The Gator Bowl in 1977 was the 1st one we went to and the fact that we got killed by Pitt did not keep us from going back next year when we beat Ohio State in the Woody game. For me, bowls back in the day were as much for the fans and publicity for the schools as it was for the teams.

Much like the creation of malls and big box stores killed small town businesses, over the past years cable television killed the bowl experience. Except for the Playoffs and a few bowls, how many games do we see on ESPN with thousands of empty seats? Bowls now seem to be more about player development than anything except the big games. If schools take the band, dancers, family etc to the game they lose money.

You are exactly correct, there are too many games and because the salaries paid by NFL teams are so high, players opt out and chase the dream and dollars. Rather than have 40 bowl games and 30 of them with empty seats, expand the playoffs and give the Coastal Carolina's and Cincinnati's a real game to play and fans a meaningful experience again.

Dec 22, 2020, 12:11 AM

Do you remember when the Gator Bowl was actually a pretty strong post-season game? There was the Rose, Sugar, Cotton, Orange and... the Gator. Not very much else mattered in CFB, and it actually meant something special to go to a post season bowl game? Ah, the simple good old days.

Go Tigers, and kick OSU's ### once again!!!

Dec 22, 2020, 12:27 AM [ in reply to Re: Thoughts on bowl games and the CFP ]

You know exactly what I mean. The Gator Bowl was always fun, all the bowls had more meaning because of the lack of TV coverage. Teams played you never really got to see much during season.

But increasing the playoff field to 8 is not the answer IMO. Coastal Carolina & Cincinnati has great years but play in a lesser division of football. It would be like having the NBA D league play in the NBA playoffs just to get extra teams in the playoffs. Power 5 programs and Group of 5 programs need to have their own playoffs ????? Maybe that’s the answer, but 8 teams complicates things and adds more games to an already expanded season. Plus IMO every year there is 2/3 or maybe 4 teams that separate themselves, this year no different. Alabama and our Tigers clearly are best 2, but who knows what might happen as Ohio St & ND will do what they can to win the games.

Dec 22, 2020, 12:28 AM [ in reply to Re: Thoughts on bowl games and the CFP ]

My only gripe with the CFP is ""where they play"" _________ from one side of the country to the other ___ I am glad to have my Tigers play in the CFP every year,but just can't afford to spend $10,000 to $20,000 to follow the around the country !!!!!

Arizona - Tampa - Atlanta - California - New Orleans - Texas --- see where in 2022 they are going to Indiana

Just seems like they could have the games somewhere between the two teams playing and lots of us ""Po-Boy Fans"" could watch in person ( really,I know this will never happen** )

With all the media coverage, electronic tickets, ticket apps, ( I don't even own a smart phone or know how to text ??? ) and the rising $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ticket prices,plane fare,motels -- I'll just have to try and keep the Dish bill paid,so I can watch on TV __ hope they don't play any games on channel 7, cause they have removed it from my dish program**

Rant Over -- time for this Ol' Geezer to take his "Geritol" and go on to bed*** GO TIGERS !!!!

Agree completely, money money money seems to be all that mayters

Dec 22, 2020, 12:40 AM

Because it is all that matters to them. Losing records get bowl games??? I’m all for teams getting to play an extra game and enjoy another game but if you lose that much then another game just doesn’t justify itself. Again, it comes down to money.

I’m with you, simply can’t take time off or afford tickets/flight/hotel/meals/rentals to see the Tigers play. And I will also be keeping the bills paid so I can watch our Tigers play....

Cheers to you and goodnight ??. Go Tigers, beat Ohio State

Dec 22, 2020, 5:15 AM

My thoughts on bowl games and the CFP.
First off do we really need 28 bowl games( that's the number I think they are playing)?
No. Come on, The Myrtle Beach Bowl. North Texas was 4-5 and lost by double digits? Yet Army got snubbed.
And what about the Chicken's who are going to a bowl with a 2-8 record.
No, back in my day, outside the 4 Major New Year Day Bowls, you might have had a dozen more games, but you had to have won at least 6 games to qualify. See, even OSU would not have made it because they only played 5 regular season games.
But as to the CFP,I like the top 4 ,but if you are going to expand,it has to be top 8.The winner of the Conference Championship game from the Power 5 conferences, and the next 3 teams with the best record.
You seed them 1-8 and play the first round at the team with the higher seed hosting.
Oh, and if Notre Dame wants to remain independent, ok, but they have to have a play in game with the team who finishes 9th in the Coaches poll to determine the 8th spot so they don't have the luxury of an off week.

Dec 22, 2020, 8:15 AM

I am beginning to learn that as I get older the world changes and college football looks to me to be changing whether I/we like it or not. I think sometimes about my great grandmother who was born in the 1890s in rural South Carolina and how much change she saw and adapted to. I'm beginning to think that in some cases we just have to do the same.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic