Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thomas Green Clemson was a slave owner
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

Thomas Green Clemson was a slave owner

Jan 16, 2015, 1:38 PM

Are we gonna change the name of the university now? If you start looking at the histories of men that were from the 1800's and from the South, you're gonna find that 80-90% of them had "something" associated with them. My great great grandfather was a slave owner..guess I should change my last name now. It's the way it was back then...get over it. And as for the ones that are marching in protest..last I knew of, it was called Tillman Hall when you decided to come to school here.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So were several Presidents.

Jan 16, 2015, 1:40 PM

n/m

Re: So were several Presidents.

Jan 16, 2015, 2:34 PM

So is my buddy's wife!

Just when this had started to turn back into a sports board.

Jan 16, 2015, 1:43 PM

sigh

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

It's like Stormfront and the Confederate Heritage Foundation

Jan 16, 2015, 4:14 PM

decided to have a pot luck supper here or something.

Re: It's like Stormfront and the Confederate Heritage Foundation

Jan 16, 2015, 4:39 PM

And I don't have a grasp on things? But then again hort..I would expect nothing else from you...smfh

Jan 16, 2015, 4:44 PM

Since you feel SO deeply about this hort...how come this is the first I've seen of you pushing to have the name of the horrible man that was Tillman removed? I mean surely you've been doing this for years, right? Freakin parrots

Jan 16, 2015, 5:34 PM [ in reply to It's like Stormfront and the Confederate Heritage Foundation ]

NO!! just c$$ts trying to hurt our recruiting again like they do every year... what would U libs/demos raise hell about in 2050 if someone decided that Spurier was racist?LMAO

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2015, 5:39 PM

Here here Litefoot

when football season starts again

Jan 16, 2015, 4:46 PM [ in reply to Just when this had started to turn back into a sports board. ]

When Football starts again.

I hear ya. Sigh indeed.***

Jan 16, 2015, 7:09 PM [ in reply to Just when this had started to turn back into a sports board. ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thomas Green Clemson was a slave owner

Jan 16, 2015, 1:44 PM

This hasn't been discussed enough, so I would like to add the a point of contention for many is not that Tillman owned slaves, but the fact that he orchestrated the murdering of black people AFTER the Civil War and is on record espousing some views that would have even been considered extreme at the time.

I'm not a history guy and could be wrong, but I HTH nonetheless.

Jan 16, 2015, 5:14 PM

Yes, and the counter argument to that is...

Do you not think slaves died due to conditions? Therefor, they're no better than Tillman.

My grandad basically disowned my mom the day i was born, because my dad was black. I'm sure he used the N word a good bit, used it in Christmas songs and all. My grandma had racial views as well, not as strong. That changed as i was born, as i was her first grand kid. She adored me and called her "special boy".

Nonetheless, i don't hold anything against my grandpa, who i met all of once. My favorite belt buckle is a Tiger juan that was once his. He loved Clemson. Does wearing the belt buckle make me feel any type of way wearing it? No. I give 2 shi+s

Tired of all the bickering. It's history. The name does not need to be changed. Like some said, if you change the name of this building you must change the name of a lot of buildings.

Jan 16, 2015, 5:14 PM

I don't normally RA posts but this is getting consideration***

Jan 16, 2015, 1:46 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2015, 1:48 PM

null

Jan 16, 2015, 4:06 PM

The University of Virgina was founded by 3 former Presidents,all of whom owned slaves while serving.
Think we should start a petition to rename the University of Virginia?

Some of their actions would probably get them

Jan 16, 2015, 4:42 PM

called terrorist today too.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He DID NOT LYNCH ANYBODY. He owned slaves

Jan 16, 2015, 4:14 PM

when it WAS LEGAL FOR HIM TO OWN SLAVES. Jesus, I understand that stupid people are stupid because they have to be, and not because it's a great career choice, but is this really that hard for you to grasp?

Re: He DID NOT LYNCH ANYBODY. He owned slaves

Jan 16, 2015, 4:30 PM

Bravo!

Jan 16, 2015, 4:30 PM [ in reply to He DID NOT LYNCH ANYBODY. He owned slaves ]

I see dumb people. They don't even know that they're dumb.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2015, 5:32 PM [ in reply to He DID NOT LYNCH ANYBODY. He owned slaves ]

I know that lots of people refuse to understand that times change but the y do... Clemson AND SO CAR were built originally with SLAVE LABOR.. none of U can change that no matter how hard U try.. get over it; it happened a LONG TIME AGO!! worry about something that matters NOW!!

How was Clemson built with slave labor?

Jan 16, 2015, 5:34 PM

Slavery died with the end of the Civil War in 1865. Clemson was founded in 1889.

"Forget it, he's rolling"

Jan 16, 2015, 6:49 PM

-

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The land clemson is built on was a Plantation that was built

Jan 17, 2015, 9:01 AM [ in reply to How was Clemson built with slave labor? ]

With slave labor. No slavery, no plantation, no clemson

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did you see Tillman lynch anyone?***

Jan 17, 2015, 12:09 AM [ in reply to He DID NOT LYNCH ANYBODY. He owned slaves ]

There's something in these hills.

Jan 16, 2015, 4:48 PM

Ever stop to think that slavery was a dark period in American Culture? Jim Crow's Laws promoted the "separate but equal" concept but its ridiculously disgusting. Imagine you walking in the park where ever you live and seeing black people having to drink from a different water fountain than the one that standing next to it...Imagine going to the movies and seeing black people having to enter the theatre in a completely separate door..Ridiculous and it was an embarassing dark time for our country...

So back to that idiot that Clemson University is mistakenly honoring his rememberance...This sack of sh*t led a lynch mob that killed several UNARMED black members of the South Carolina National Guard. Murdered them...There is a huge difference in being a, at the time a legal slave owner, which was what? NORMAL!!!!, than going around ILLEGALLY murdering and lynching black people...see the difference??

Wanna know the bad thing? I am white and I see how disgusting this is...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Jan 16, 2015, 4:59 PM

Aaah, another one. And I'm sure you have been beating the bushes for years for this to happen as well? Another parrot

Jan 16, 2015, 5:03 PM

Oh and what should I have done? Round up a posse and march on Clemson? How about I round up a group of racists idiots, like yourself, and lynch and murder a group of Clemson fans? Its ok though!! I have done a lot of good for this country so its excuseable...

The fact that you are justifying honoring this piece of sh*t makes me really want to go take a shower...Slavery legislation and murdering is two totally seperate concepts...

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Jan 16, 2015, 5:12 PM

Polly wanna cracker?

Jan 16, 2015, 5:13 PM

Are you calling me a cracker!?!

Jan 16, 2015, 5:19 PM

Why would I do that? I'm the racist, remember?

Jan 16, 2015, 5:21 PM

haha

Jan 16, 2015, 5:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Thomas Green Clemson was a slave owner ]

People being overly sensitive is one thing that will ruin America.~fact

Jan 16, 2015, 4:48 PM

Yep, time to change the name of the University. P.C. is so important to liberals. I guess we will have to be "the Upstate University." That is what the old drunk calls us anyway.

Not all slave owners were racist, and blacks owned slaves.

Jan 16, 2015, 4:59 PM

Before the Civil War, there were over 12,000 slaves owned by free African Americans. This is an unfortunate fact that many are trying to suppress, along with the fact that the most despicable racist whites from this era of our country were all Democrats.

Re: Not all slave owners were racist, and blacks owned slaves.

Jan 16, 2015, 5:36 PM

NOW there U go again... trying to use FACTS in this!!also there are lots of slaves in the world today.. if U just got to do something start getting this stopped!! that would make a real difference!!!!!!!

the other 400,000 slaves were owned .by

Jan 16, 2015, 6:52 PM [ in reply to Not all slave owners were racist, and blacks owned slaves. ]

mexicans

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Most prominent white southern males were in the late 1800's. I'm interested in seeing a list

Jan 16, 2015, 5:38 PM

Of all of the men who have statues, buildings and universities named after them who were slave owners - and are yet still currently tied with a university.

Or to make the list much shorter and sweeter, those who were not.

It should be a non-issue at this point, as most of us white fans at Clemson, hold in the highest regard, african-american athletes... considering many of them to be our hero's and favorite players. Only white guy I can think of that I get excited about and celebrate is Boulware. The rest are african-american. Sammy, Nuk, Jarrett, Tay, Anthony, Mac, Steward, Kearse, Cain, Wilkins, Huggy, RR3, etc...

Think there was a recent article about Clemson students being the happiest in the country, too. Weird, with all that racism going on.... lolol.

And I'm fine with changing all the names of these buildings if that's what it takes to show people of all colors that they're welcomed and loved at Clemson University by many!

Re: Most prominent white southern males were in the late 1800's. I'm interested in seeing a list

Jan 16, 2015, 5:46 PM

Because it's the vocal few that always want to stir the trouble. Just like Ferguson...people wanted to protest peacefully..but ooooh no..we gotta start looting and rioting and burning buildings(a lot of them minority owned) to the ground. It's always more, more, more. Never satisfied..just let it go! As I said before..the "marchers" had no problem deciding on Clemson as the place to go to school. They chose Clemson..not the other way around

Re: Most prominent white southern males were in the late 1800's. I'm interested in seeing a list

Jan 16, 2015, 6:43 PM

well said...no one made them come to Clemson

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is in the nature of liberals to want to control you.***

Jan 16, 2015, 6:55 PM

Jan 16, 2015, 11:17 PM

I guess the capital can no longer be Washington because he owned slaves.

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic