Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This team is different
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

This team is different

Jan 6, 2021, 6:39 AM

and it’s not even close! Years I’ve watched Clemson Men’s Basketball and most of the time go 8-0, 9-0, 10-1 non conference and then the lights turn off when the ACC schedule begins. You sit on your seat with white knuckles clinched hoping not to blow a lead but for naught. It happens. The hopes are vanished like the frost on a spring morning. Poof, gone.

But this team is way different! Not even close! The tenacity to come back, the depth, scoring off the bench and mostly the grit! This team has grit like I’ve never seen in a Tiger BB Team! This could wind up being a great team who’ll do well in the ACC and March Madness! Win again in Chapel Hill!

Maybe we’ll have a long winter and the frost won’t disappear until April.

Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This team is different

Jan 6, 2021, 7:11 AM

Add in great talented freshman who aren’t playing huge minutes so hopefully won’t tire out.

The ending sequence by Hall was fantastic and he showed no fear in posting up and delivered an athletic bucket too. Think the future is bright for sure!

Jan 6, 2021, 7:43 AM

I agree with you; this team really has grit. Even when they are being outplayed (for example, yesterday), you feel like they will come back. And, usually they do. Perhaps we get a little lucky and the bounce goes our way, perhaps the bench coaching has improved or perhaps it's just the grit of the team that manages to keep the game close even when playing against superior athletes.

Still, we should not get carried away. We played an unranked NC State team (although they should be ranked!) that (perhaps) would have blown us out in our own gym had it not been for one player who was having a career night.

Jan 6, 2021, 8:04 AM

Agree! NC State should be ranked!

Go Tigers!

Their SOS is pretty low...

Jan 6, 2021, 8:25 AM

The lost to a decent St. Louis team, and they beat UNCheat. Otherwise, the schedule is not particularly impressive.

In fairness, they did have four or five games postponed or rescheduled due to COVID.

That said, I do think they are one of the top 6 to 8 teams in the league.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Jan 6, 2021, 8:08 AM [ in reply to Re: This team is different ]

True what you say, but we also had our star player that couldn't buy a basket on this night for some reason.

I am not very knowledgeable on NCS hoops but Funderburk

Jan 6, 2021, 1:25 PM [ in reply to Re: This team is different ]

played like a man possessed last night...was even invisible to the refs when he ran out of bounds! Not sure if this was a "career" night for him, but it was a very effective one.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Shhhh...don't jinx it man !!!!***

Jan 6, 2021, 8:17 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2021, 8:18 AM

Don't forget that we were missing a key contributor and possible starter in Hunter Tyson. In days past the loss of one starter would have doomed us.

Part of it is that the teams we are playing are different,

Jan 6, 2021, 8:19 AM

as well. Used to be, in all those hand wringing losses, we would shoot ourselves in the foot at the free throw line, and all opposing teams knew it and exploited it, while making their free throws. Nowadays, it seems the other team ain't any better at the free throw aspect than us. :)

And, we seem to have gotten situationally better, making them at least down the stretch if not early in the game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Last night notwithstanding of course.

Jan 6, 2021, 8:32 AM

Last night, Clemson was a paltry 3 for 9 from the FT line (33%). The last two misses occurred with a little over a second remaining in the game and didn't really matter. If you eliminate those two, the percentage is a little better at 43% but still not good.

Nancy State, on the other hand, was 17 for 24 (71%).

THe disparity in fouls called was the result of typical s#!##y ACC officiating.

When have CBB teams gone 8-0, 9-0, 10-1?

Jan 6, 2021, 8:28 AM

This team is definitely different and really talented. I love the depth, yesterday we got 36 points from the bench. The biggest difference I see from last year is that teams can no longer just take away Simms to beat us. We have seen the last couple of seasons where they would contain Simms and force us to shoot outside, so if we were hot from 3 we had a chance to win, if we were cold we were done. This year they can't key on Simms with all of the weapons Brad has on the floor. They play hard, the defense is what we have always seen from Brad's teams, and these early come from behind victories will be very beneficial for confidence in March and April.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Well...

Jan 6, 2021, 8:43 AM

the 17/18 team, the 16/17 team, and the 13/14 team all started out pretty strong. Those are a few of the more recent examples.

Re: Well...

Jan 6, 2021, 10:29 AM

Yeah but I also think this team is different. Y’all have a really good team this year. I’m talking ACC champion potential.

Woah...slow down there Speed Racer !!!

Jan 6, 2021, 10:35 AM

I will agree this is absolutely the best team with the deepest bench that Brownell's had.

Who in the ACC appears better than us right now?

Jan 6, 2021, 11:05 AM

Honest question.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

VT, Louisville, and Cuse all look pretty good...

Jan 6, 2021, 11:10 AM

I don't have a good handle on Duke or UVa yet.

I think FSU is a pretty good team too.

Re: Who in the ACC appears better than us right now?

Jan 6, 2021, 5:02 PM [ in reply to Who in the ACC appears better than us right now? ]

I think it’s still early but honestly I have not seen anyone in the ACC that I think is better than Clemson. I watch a lot of basketball.

16/17 team lost 2 of their first 4 games and then

Jan 6, 2021, 12:17 PM [ in reply to Well... ]

won 9 in a row. The 2013-2014 lost 3 of their first 11. I'll give you the 17/18 team. Point is, OP made it sound like Clemson regularly starts out going undefeated or at worst loses one game during non-conference play before shyatting the bed during ACC play, and that's just not true.

This is a special team and you can tell by the way they play. They have a ton of potential this year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

I'd have to go back and look...

Jan 6, 2021, 1:14 PM

but maybe some of OP's or Ellis' teams did that.

I do seem to recall times when the team started out pretty strong, largely against a bunch of weak OOC opponents, and then struggled to get to .500 in conference play.

The 03 team for example. They were 9-0 and got blown-out by Duke in the first ACC game. OK...Duke was the No. 3 team in the nation at the time. Somewhat understandable but they follow-up by only winning 6 of their next 18 games.

Careful, you'll soon see nasty responses here

Jan 6, 2021, 11:01 AM

reminding you that it's early, you shouldn't be drawing any conclusions at this point in the season, and questioning your knowledge of Clemson basketball (complete with references to the "good 'ol days" when the ACC was sooooo much tougher and the players were much better).

Carry on! :)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic