Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It got real at the DR office yesterday!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 64
| visibility 1

It got real at the DR office yesterday!

Aug 18, 2020, 11:14 PM

I told the Dr that I started back to work next week, as schools return to the classroom. She looked me and my wife dead in the face and said, Steve, if you get this virus you will die. No smile, no joking, just looked me straight in the eye and said with you being a bad diabetic, and a few other issues although I thought I was doing pretty well, she told my wife he will not survive. I was stunned, I have 2 more years before I can think about retiring, but this really caught me off guard. She told me I she would write me a letter stating that I was an extreme at-risk senior and should fall under the federal covid act or some such. Don't know what that is. I am 6'1", 215lbs, walk 2 miles daily, I am diabetic but still feel good but she left very little wiggle room. Any opinions?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It got real at the DR office yesterday!

Aug 18, 2020, 11:29 PM

Some school districts have slots for teachers who are online all day and have no actual contact with the kids. Obviously you wouldn't have gone into teaching for that type of job, but if you are that much of a health risk you need to call your principal or your district's risk management director and see if that is a possibility for you. Hopefully things will level off and you can get back into the classroom in a year or two, for a year or two before retiring. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I've got to side with your wife and your doctor on this one. Hope you can work things out to keep teaching this year even if it is remotely.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 18, 2020, 11:46 PM

I went in today and had that discussion, they are working on a plan for people like me as we have a few others in the same boat!

Re: they are working on a plan

Aug 19, 2020, 12:59 PM

Good, I'm glad you may have some flexibility, and talking to HR helps them in the planning process. Hope this will work out however is best for you!

really?? are you really going to trust this bored??

Aug 18, 2020, 11:30 PM

for that kind of opinion??

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: really?? are you really going to trust this bored??

Aug 19, 2020, 6:39 AM

Exactly. I would never trust a place like this for that kind of opinion. I immediately take concerns over medical issues to the pros at Facebook.

Aug 19, 2020, 9:34 PM

Now that is witty

Aug 20, 2020, 1:43 PM [ in reply to Re: really?? are you really going to trust this bored?? ]

Have a thumbs up. That made me lol

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 19, 2020, 7:42 AM [ in reply to really?? are you really going to trust this bored?? ]

When making important decisions you take into consideration many opinions, IMO tigernet reaches out to many people of similar mindset and a pretty good source for unbiased opinions. I am sure he will hold the wishes of his wife and family much higher than that of this board.

Aug 19, 2020, 7:54 AM

I'm sure those questioning why he'd seek medical advice from TNET are doing so from a place of lightheartedness and everyone reading the post sincerely wishes him the best.

I'm not giving out any medical advice without first a co-pay***

Aug 19, 2020, 9:04 AM [ in reply to really?? are you really going to trust this bored?? ]

Aug 18, 2020, 11:32 PM

I would be searching for a new physician, as a minimum get a second opinion!

Aug 20, 2020, 1:55 PM

Agree with this statement. Doctors should advise you on risk based on your medical history, not tell you matter of factly what to do.

I had a doctor tell me straight up once that I could never run again or engage in any strenuous activity bc my knees weren’t in the greatest shape (this was in my mid-twenties). I basically laughed in his face. I did end up getting a second and third opinion, and neither came close to the original ‘recommendation’ (if you could call it that). I’ve continued my strenuous exercise and avoided running on hard surfaces whenever possible and my knees have never felt better!

Aug 18, 2020, 11:34 PM

Your first mistake is having a woman doctor. Women are giving the easy route just to fill quotas. Secondly, she’s full of crap. But it’s your life so do what you gotta do

Aug 19, 2020, 7:27 AM

I sincerely hope you're trolling.

With him, it's called T-Rumping....***

Aug 19, 2020, 7:46 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 20, 2020, 1:50 PM [ in reply to Re: It got real at the DR office yesterday! ]

Your first mistake is having a woman doctor. Women are giving the easy route just to fill quotas. Secondly, she’s full of crap. But it’s your life so do what you gotta do

Sheesh!! You really hate women, don't you.

Are you an "incel?"
You sound like a clone of TheRump. That must be very sad for you.

Aug 18, 2020, 11:35 PM

You should search in your soul why you are so fat and do not exercise. Truth hurts but it is your life.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 18, 2020, 11:39 PM

Please tell me you are joking.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 18, 2020, 11:49 PM [ in reply to Re: It got real at the DR office yesterday! ]

I am in no way fat, or out of shape. I walk, exercise and lift everyday. Where in my post did you get the idea I was fat? Some people should stay silent a be thought a fool than open their mouth and removing all doubt!

Aug 18, 2020, 11:46 PM

Well im not a Dr. And as you all know, im all for being careful. No use tempting fate but honestly the Dr. Has no idea if thats true. It could be true but every person is different. Millions of Americans are diabetic. Millions are overweight. But most wont die. My dad and i both had heart bypasses this past year and he is 70 and got covid19. He had a little trouble breathing but he is fine now. I havnt had it, but i might not be so lucky if i do.

Granted being around kids as a teacher would be concerning to be honest. Especially with health issues. Its a tough call.

I still work. I have to take some risk but i try to be smart and careful.

A judge here in town where i live got covid from his grandkids visiting but he is ok now. Was rough on him though.

I cant tell you what to do. I certainly wouldnt stop living. But if i were you, i would just try and reduce my risk to a reasonable level if possible. If there is such a thing. That's really all anyone can do besides stay at home 24/7.

Been reading back through some of your poast

Aug 19, 2020, 6:05 AM

Having a problem understanding why your pulse ain't 100

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

I am sorry that you had to go through that.

Aug 18, 2020, 11:48 PM

I have no advice, but it would be great if someone on this board knew something about the federal COVID act and how it worked. I will pray you stay healthy.

Aug 18, 2020, 11:53 PM

A doctor told my Aunt who is in her mid 60’s the same thing because she has COPD & is a diabetic with other issues. Well, she got it even though she rarely left the house for 3 months. She felt bad for about 3 weeks but never got admitted to the hospital & was swimming last week. Bottom line, COVID is not an automatic death sentence like we’ve been told. Sure it’s real, but if you get it you have a greater chance of recovering than dying. Facts

I’m sure the OP and all of us

Aug 19, 2020, 1:12 AM

take comfort from your anecdotal evidence.

Americans used to respect doctors

Aug 19, 2020, 1:03 AM

If doctors were worth their salt, they would have long ago stood up to big pharma. Instead they have cowered and capitulated in fear of losing their license.

My cousin, who is type 1 diabetic, said a top diabetes doctor in Atlanta told him that they could have a cure for diabetes "if they wanted to".

Cancer, chronic disease, autism (especially in black males) is through the roof. 35 years ago these things were much less frequent. In 1986 congress passed a law preventing people from suing big pharma for vaccine damage (unless they failed to list a bad side effect in the vaccine package inserts). If you were born before 1989, your chances of getting a chronic illness was 12%... after 1989, 56%. That's the first year dirty vaccines started to be released to the public.

If you have XMRV's in your blood, then Covid-19 can easily kill you. That is what your doctor is referring to. If you have chronic diseases (co-morbidities), or you had the flu vaccine in 2017 or 2018 there is a better chance you have XMRV's.

If doctors were worth anything, they would stand up to this and demand an investigation into this covid-19 to determine 1st if it is an intentional bioweapon as some reputable professionals have said they believe it is.

If doctors were worth anything, before trying to keep us cowering in our homes with fear, they would first demand that emergency treatments be allowed... HCQ + Zinc + Z-Pak, Ivermectin + Doxycycline, Budesonide + Zinc + Clarithromycin or endotracheal UV-A Light.

Our women always accuse us of not going to the doctor enough. Maybe we have a certain instict telling us not to.

It’s posts like these that reaffirm

Aug 19, 2020, 1:16 AM

the need for increased access to mental health care.

Re: It’s posts like these that reaffirm

Aug 19, 2020, 7:39 AM

I'm not a doctor but I play one on TIGERNET. Please let me know if I can help with anything.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It’s posts like these that reaffirm

Aug 19, 2020, 9:33 PM [ in reply to It’s posts like these that reaffirm ]

TigerBTM said:

the need for increased access to mental health care.

...and better education

Dumb ### post of the year

Aug 19, 2020, 7:44 AM [ in reply to Americans used to respect doctors ]

Conspiracy theorist meets low IQ

JFK was actually killed by Jackie too!

Aug 19, 2020, 10:21 AM [ in reply to Americans used to respect doctors ]

Surely you have multiple rods in the water. If not, let me address your first two points.

I finished Med School almost 40 years ago. I prescribed what I wanted when I wanted based on what was best for the patient. Another urban legend is that docs get a kickback on each prescription which is laughable. It's illegal and not true. There is zero incentive to prescribe one drug over another unless you count a cheap pen or lunch as an incentive. How is it that Big Pharma could threaten a physician's license?

The second point about the doctor in Atlanta saying there is a cure for diabetes is very intriguing to me. Please list the doctor's name as I want to hook my attorney-son on this as this will be the greatest class action law suit in history. This will make the asbestos and tobacco law suits look like very small potatoes.I also want some action on this as I will file a whistleblower suit against all the physicians who have held back this cure to profit from treating diabetes. Move over Bill Gates, here I come.

Got to go, there is a black unmarked helicopter hovering in my backyard with Elvis at the controls.

Again, I have to believe you're trolling.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Stop with the anti-vaccine ######## you irresponsible prick.***

Aug 19, 2020, 3:17 PM [ in reply to Americans used to respect doctors ]

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This kind of stuff always makes the hardcore sheep so mad.

Aug 20, 2020, 2:42 PM [ in reply to Americans used to respect doctors ]

They won't dare do any heavy intellectual lifting to refute anything. They just get triggered and have a tantrum of insults. Keep p*ssing people off.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One of my children had the 'Rona this Summer. Had really

Aug 19, 2020, 1:30 AM

bad aches for a day or two, but all-in-all said the flu they had a few years back was worse.

My best friend's cousin (in his thirties I believe) died from it a few months ago (in New York). (As an aside, when his wife called 911 and described his condition, they told her to hang up and call the coroner because it would be a long time before they could even get to them. He was dead before anyone got to their apartment.)

Just like our country today, the effects of this virus seem to be extremely polarized. Most people seem to have little problem with it (if any at all), but for certain people it simply devastates their bodies.

It is not just a respiratory disease but a blood disease and that affects "nose to toes" as they now say. So if a victim has some inherent weak spot in their body, it seems to attack it mercilessly.

I've been reading documents and listening to witnesses since this virus was first admitted to by China in December, and from what I've learned about this weapon, I would say that you probably ought to heed your doctor's warnings and try to stay away from it as much as your knowledge and situation allows you to.

I have a friend who had read over fifty papers on this virus before January and as a result became very scared of its dangerous qualities because he has significant health risks (though he is as active as you are.) He is taking it very serious and doing all he can to stay away from it.

It's really all is just statistics, of course, and I am pretty certain you don't want to be one.

Good luck, my Tiger friend.

Aug 19, 2020, 1:33 AM

Praying for your safety and good health. May God protect you and your family.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Really?

Aug 19, 2020, 2:42 AM

I don't think I would depend on opinions of people using anonymous names on a football message board to make any decisions like you are facing.

Aug 19, 2020, 5:31 AM

I am so sorry that you are in this situation. This is my third week back in the classroom and this is my final year before retirement. We are deemed essential workers and have no magic escape clause. Any relief that you have from your returning to work will have to come from your district. You may have to fill out extended FMLA paperwork and use your sick leave. Someone else mentioned being a virtual teacher if possible. That is a great idea if it is an option. Our teachers only have two virtual classes and the rest are in person.

Aug 19, 2020, 6:03 AM

I am a physician. She must not have seen many Covid patients. It is absolutely true that “some” die from it. But even obese 85 year olds with diabetes and multiple health problems usually survive. I am continually surprised as people survived that I think are unlikely to. She is way off base in her analysis of your situation.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My wife has treated several dialysis patients

Aug 19, 2020, 6:55 AM

old, overweight, non compliant and usually very sick. All have survived and currently she is not treating any that are covid positive.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 19, 2020, 7:36 AM [ in reply to Re: It got real at the DR office yesterday! ]

I recently tried to cheer up my co-worker by telling her something similar after her fairly healthy mother in her early 80s was diagnosed with Covid. Unfortunately she passed away 2 days later. It definitely seems to hit some people much worse than others. Hopefully tests will figure out exactly what the real danger characteristics are soon!

Well if my doctor told me I would die if I did something

Aug 19, 2020, 6:52 AM

I wouldn't do that. Doctors tell people to lose weight and/or quit smoking or they will die all the time. Some listen, some don't.

WRONG BOARD MORAN!!!***

Aug 19, 2020, 7:58 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Aug 19, 2020, 8:14 AM

Get a second opinion,but don't call me in the morning.

Aug 19, 2020, 8:17 AM

Your doctor is trying to save your life. COVID wreaks havoc on people with diabetes. Combine that with the fact that you are "2 years from retirement," and you find yourself "smack dab in the middle of the highest risk category." But you don't have to take her advice. Get a second opinion if you want. Just please recognize that she has nothing to gain by trying to frighten you. She just wants you to be aware of the danger. Go Tigers!

My mom is 89 years old, a myriad of health problems,

Aug 19, 2020, 8:22 AM

like most people her age, and whenever people come over or she goes out (to eat, for example) she always asks people NOT to wear masks. Truth be told, if she did get it, she'd probably pass as a result, but truth also be told, she may have it now or have had it already and been asymptomatic. Same with you, or me, for that matter. That's the big problem with this virus - for the vast majority (90+%) it's no problem or little problem. But for the remainder for whom it is a problem, it's a BIG problem. There's no way anyone can say that if any one of us gets it that we will die, no matter the pre-existing conditions. I had a friend, 47yo, who tested positive and died approx 2 weeks later. No other pre-existing conditions other than having had polio as a child. There's no real rhyme or reason to this thing other than the older you are, the more at risk you are, but that doesn't mean you'll get it and that if you get it you'll die.

I'm 50 and in reasonably good health, but I do have asthma. If it was me in your shoes, and I loved my job, I'd take reasonable precautions and just go to work. But that's just me. I kinda take after my mom in that respect, I guess! I'm still more worried about driving down the interstate than I am about the COVID, when it comes to my own health. Just my 2 cents.

Death Curve in SC is dropping

Aug 19, 2020, 8:45 AM

Just an FYI

https://scdhec.gov/sites/default/files/media/image/COVID19-Date-By-Death-Event_8.18.2020.PNG

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Death Curve in SC is dropping

Aug 19, 2020, 8:53 AM

WELL WE CAN NOT HAVE THAT. WE GOT TO GET THEM NUMBERS BACK UP. THIS IS NOT PART OF THE NARRATIVE.

NC too

Aug 19, 2020, 9:01 AM [ in reply to Death Curve in SC is dropping ]

https://covid19.ncdhhs.gov/dashboard/cases

Aug 19, 2020, 9:17 AM

One of my customers,an electrician, caught covid 19 about a month ago. He is
53 and has diabetes. He said he felt bad for about 2 days and it did effect his diabetes
some but after several days he has never felt better.

I am fully qualified to say “Good Luck” & “God Bless”.

Aug 19, 2020, 9:21 AM

Suggest additional opinions from those qualified to give them.

Aug 19, 2020, 10:23 AM

I used to teach, but my wife still does. I would imagine most every district has virtual earning in place. This would be exactly what you need, to keep your job ,but stay out of harms way. Depending on the subject . . shouldn't be too difficult. Good luck.

Aug 19, 2020, 1:14 PM

Just increase your zinc (25mg), D3 (3-4000mg) and drink 4 Oz of tonic water (quinine) per day.

Please DM me for a payment plan.

Aug 19, 2020, 4:55 PM

So the nightly Gin and Tonic must be what's been saving me.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 20, 2020, 12:33 PM

Yes, I think it is safe to draw that correlation at this time. That will be $19.95. DM me and I will send you my paypal and venmo account.

Aug 19, 2020, 2:26 PM

I'm sorry to hear that, but your doctor is an idiot.

Depends on which mutation he catches

Aug 19, 2020, 4:05 PM

It’s no joke ???????

That sucks. I’m young-ish and very healthy and I felt like

Aug 19, 2020, 4:04 PM

It could have killed me.

Stay safe!

Aug 19, 2020, 4:22 PM

Type 1 or Type 2? Instead of trying to scare you into solitude she should have explained why you are at risk. Diabetics have trouble moving blood sugar into the cells. Type one because their bodies do not produce insulin and type two because the body becomes so heavily saturated with insulin it starts to resist it. When you eat carbs and sugar and don’t burn them for energy your body converts them to fat and stores it for later. Everyone knows it stores fat on their bellies but don’t realize it stores fat in the liver and lungs. The virus feeds on this fat in the lungs. My non medical advice is if you are type two go low carb diet keto or paleo would work and within a year you won’t have to worry so much. She also didn’t tell you the flu would also give you a fit. Stay well But do not hide your immune system works better when used.

Aug 19, 2020, 8:34 PM

Well I would have told the Dr she was stupid as h ell . The terrible cases are very few and the death rate is very low . 5mill confirmed 170k dead you do the math . Everyone I know that’s had including 3 people in their late 70s said the flu was worse.
There is a virus but it’s not the end of the world and in the next few mouths it will be forgotten.

Aug 19, 2020, 8:48 PM

Brother you are the exact type of person that I believe should get stimulus money to stay home while the rest of us work and assume the risk to keep the country running. I do not mind doing that for you and other high risk people. I don’t mind my tax dollars taking care of folks like you. You need to do what you need to do to stay safe. While a lot of people freaking out about the virus need to grow a pair you, sir, are not one of them. Do what you need to do to protect yourself. Take care.

It's Your Profession. Get A Second Opinion!

Aug 19, 2020, 9:01 PM

Even if you have to pay for it.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Aug 19, 2020, 9:25 PM

How does she know you will die? My 70 year old cousin had Covid and did fine. In hospital 1 day. He is insulin dependent diabetic. Does not have a spleen. Has had liver cancer. Recovered from that. Had Pancreatic cancer, recovered from that. Is currently being treated for prostate cancer. Oh, hr also has heart problems.
I seriously wonder how she knows Covid will kill you.

How does she know you will die? My 70 year old cousin had Covid and did fine. In hospital 1 day. He is insulin dependent diabetic. Does not have a spleen. Has had liver cancer. Recovered from that. Had Pancreatic cancer, recovered from that. Is currently being treated for prostate cancer. Oh, hr also has heart problems.

Replies: 64
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic