Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Report: Deshaun Watson has interest in playing for Panthers
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

TNET: Report: Deshaun Watson has interest in playing for Panthers

Jan 23, 2021, 8:16 AM

Report: Deshaun Watson has interest in playing for Panthers

Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson has not officially asked for a trade amid reports that he is very unhappy with his organization. Fox Sports analyst Ja Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Report: Deshaun Watson has interest in playing for Panthers

Jan 23, 2021, 8:29 AM

Growing up is South Carolina with my granddaddy and daddy both Clemson grads and no pro teams (only Clemson and USUCK), only college. I’m not real big on professional football. However, if the Panthers were to get Deshaun I would definitely become a fan.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 23, 2021, 5:42 PM

I will always be a loyal fan of DW4, but I would never in this lifetime pull for the Panthers to be a good FB team even though I would wish the best for DW4 where ever he is playing. FB is his job, and he is an X Tiger player, and he will always be a Tiger, and for that, I wish him the best that life has to offer him, but I would never pull for the panthers, period!!! I would cheer on any team that he plays for with the exception of the North Carolina Panthers!!! They have not been kind or fair with Clemson players in the draft since they became an NFL team, not even with Clemson opening their doors for the Panthers when they first became a part of the NFL, and they had no where close to Charlotte to get them started, and Clemson open their doors to them!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 25, 2021, 7:34 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Report: Deshaun Watson has interest in playing for Panthers ]

There are 32 teams in the NF, and the only one I care about is my team. And DeShaun ain't going there .Neither is Trevor.
So here is how I look at it. My team was eliminated the last week of the regular season, and I have not watched any of the games because I don't care.
Now a lot of people on here think that once a Tiger always a Tiger. And that is true to a point.
I hope that whoever gets either DeShaun ,he go on to have an ALL-Pro career, maybe win a Super Bowl or two. But if my team came to Charlotte on opening day, and DeShaun is the Panther quarterback, no way ,no how do I pull for "YOUR" Carolina Panthers because they have never been "MY" Carolina Panthers.

Jan 23, 2021, 8:35 AM

It would be a much better situation for him than the Jets, or the other teams usually mentioned. Having said that, they don't have nearly as much to offer. Of course if Watson is willing to only go there it may not matter.

Jan 23, 2021, 9:41 AM

Until I hear any of these rumors from Watson I am going to take it with a grain of salt. If the Texans make the right head coach hire they will probably be able to smooth things over

I think the Panthers are as big a

Jan 23, 2021, 9:45 AM

dumpster as Houston.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is why I don’t get why everyone is acting like Houston is uniquely terrible

Jan 23, 2021, 11:04 AM

There are tons of poorly run franchises in the nfl. Or maybe they aren’t poorly run, it’s just that it’s a very competitive league with tons of balance and it’s near impossible to always stay ahead of the curve.

Re: This is why I don’t get why everyone is acting like Houston is uniquely terrible

Jan 23, 2021, 11:31 PM

It's uniquely terrible for Deshaun because the Houston organization lied to him.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Houston without Watson would be in contention for the

Jan 23, 2021, 11:06 AM [ in reply to I think the Panthers are as big a ]

#1 overall pick next year. They also currently have no assets to work with - though that may change if they get a decent haul in return for Watson.

The Panthers are in better shape right now.

Re: I think the Panthers are as big a

Jan 23, 2021, 10:12 PM [ in reply to I think the Panthers are as big a ]

My Houston sweatshirt is about to go join my Panthers shirt that already went to Goodwill.

Jan 23, 2021, 10:49 AM

As a Panthers fan this would be awesome, him with McCaffrey, samuels and Moore would be fun to watch

Jan 23, 2021, 1:00 PM

But then he would never have any Clemson players drafted around him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

As a Falcons fan, this would be awful.

Jan 23, 2021, 10:58 AM

Only worse place he could go would be the Saints.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I Like The Thought Of It ---

Jan 23, 2021, 11:10 AM

1- Its a business move for the city of Charlotte.
Revenue will sky rocket if he can get that squad winning. People around that area know the name because of his association with Clemson.
There are tons of Clemson fans in Charlotte....so it would be an instant draw.

2- Being close to home brings a sense of calmness after going through a bit of turmoil. A new start being closer to Gainesville, Ga makes things less pressurized. I'm sure the Watson family will be pleased if this was to happen.

3- The wild cards in this are the Panther's management and coaching. If they can get it right to make it a comfortable situation it would be a win for the franchise in the long run.

He just wants to be close enough so that he can easily

Jan 23, 2021, 12:57 PM

attend more Clemson home games. That's the only reason I could come up with for going to the Panthers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He just wants to be close enough so that he can easily

Jan 23, 2021, 9:13 PM

Well, he can purchase his own jet, and go anywhere at almost any time to see our Tigers! j/s

Jan 23, 2021, 9:11 PM

I don't believe it for a second! I no longer like the Panthers team, only Christian McCaffrey.

Jan 25, 2021, 12:02 PM

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30749365/deshaun-watson-no-trade-clause-puts-houston-texans-no-win-situation

Contract structure and salary cap math. Houston is on the hook for the remaining 21.6 million of the 27 million signing bonus that they must pay if he stays or if he departs. So his 156 million dollar deal is front loaded with the bonus and the base that applies against the cap varies by year to a team that wanted him. For Houston to flush 21.6 million down the toilet in dead cap space seems to be a stretch. At the least they would have to be compensated with with some immediate talent and and a bevy of first and second round picks as DS is a top 5 QB. And they already have cap issues to work around. Hard to see any trade that would make a 21.6 million dollar dead loss seem like a good idea.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic