Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This is what my amatuer eyes saw tonight. First, we had one
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

This is what my amatuer eyes saw tonight. First, we had one

Mar 4, 2020, 10:08 PM

maybe two guys that go to the boards, offensive boards, and fight for a rebound. Tyson and Jemison. One play in particular, we shot a long 3 from the right side, with Hemenway alone in the corner on the left side. When the ball was about 5 feet from the rim, Hemenway, who had nobody between him and the basket, broke downcourt to play defense. THE BALL BOUNNCED OUT OF BOUNDS RIGHT WHERE HE VACATED. We do this all the time. Everybody hauls butt to play defense instead of at least somebody trying to get another possession. Second, the name of the game now is to get wide open threes. Teams pass the ball around, break off screens, etc. etc. to get them...BUt one thing we do that confounds the heck out of me, is when a player passes a ball to another player on the wing, and that player penetrates..well, many times on his first step to penetrate, the player that he just received the pass from is wide open for an easy THREE...and he just ignores him. How does that happen at this level? And third, maybe not so much tonight , but all year, we do not have anyone in the lane on free throws. That just seems like a cute thing to do. But it is just incomprehensible to me as to how it could be more advantageous NOT TO GET a foul, than to get another possession.

So, that is my 2 cents.

Message was edited by: Spud®

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This is what my amatuer eyes saw tonight. First, we had one

Mar 4, 2020, 10:13 PM

I agree. But we must understand that CBB is a genius at coaching basketball. We must not understand the big picture.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of ‘71. Went through “rat season” and glad I did.

Mar 4, 2020, 10:36 PM

Plus one on the hauling butt down court! I’ve been seeing that all year. Not a good strategy. When we were coming along, even though a long time ago, it was follow your shot. Not sure what’s happened to that.

Mar 4, 2020, 10:50 PM

Me too? No bball genius but how does vacating to play defense make more sense than have couple guys crash the boards for offensive rebounding? It only works when our team is hitting 3's as we get the open shot, but when we are called "Air-ball" all night, then I think we need to fight for rebounds.

Tonight, one thing I saw was VT played Offense down to 3-4sec then just passed once and made the shot. How is it they could maintain ball for 30sec then make shot. Why can't we block, steal, pressure, or cause misses? I was dumfounded, honestly. I only played a couple years but this looked so pedestrian tonight, I was screaming!

Mar 4, 2020, 10:41 PM

What’s frustrating to me is seeing guys like Dawes and Newman carve up defenses with crossovers and great drives the last few games and even earlier when we beat duke cuse etc... and in these games like va tech and others it’s like they are scared to drive the ball. I don’t get it, they can get to the basket but just some nights choose to not even attempt when if you look at the big wins it was mostly driving the ball and hitting mid range shots , not jacking up 45 threes

Mar 4, 2020, 10:48 PM

OK, don't blame Hemengway, That might be his assigned duty, to be the first player back. As a coach, you usually assign one person to get back, not hit the boards. even if he is the shooter. Now, you want to get fancy, you tell the other guard, that when such and such shoots, you get back and let him follow his shot. But that is heady . .need brains to do that on a team LOL

No, I am not blaming Hemenway. I think you are right. I

Mar 5, 2020, 6:26 AM

think they are all coached to get back. But, when I see Simms, bailing out after a 6 footer to get back on defense or when I see a guy jack a twenty five footer with 10 seconds left on the clock AND NOBODY IS IN OR NEAR THE BASKET it blows my mind.

There is no way that it is Hemenway's duty to be the

Mar 5, 2020, 8:48 AM [ in reply to Re: This is what my amatuer eyes saw tonight. First, we had one ]

first player back when he is shooting a 3 from the corner. Your "As a coach" comment is referring to a coach in U12 rec league basketball or something similar.

It is clearly not CBB's strategy to crash the boards, he would rather get back and set up our half court defense as opposed to giving up opportunities for breaks. But to suggest that it may be Hemenway's duty to be the first player back on defense is laughable. Literally, because I laughed. Out loud.

Also, there's no "g" in his name. Hth

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Fundamentals.

Mar 4, 2020, 11:48 PM

You and I are old, and I realize the game hs changed, but it honestly looks like they are coached NOT to follow their shots, but instead getting back on defense is more important. Same with blocking out for rebounds. I sense that those things are not taught any more because nobody does them, it's not just us.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

You're not paid millions of dollars to coach, Spud, so you

Mar 5, 2020, 6:57 AM

don't know what you're talking about.

Shut up and fish and let the professionals show you how to lose...err...win games.

VT shot 60% from the field...

Mar 5, 2020, 7:16 AM

That coupled with a second half 13 - 0 run pretty much spelled the end for Clemson.

Clemson simply doesn't shoot or rebound well enough to go on these long scoring droughts.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

And we need a coach that can recruit players that...

Mar 5, 2020, 7:23 AM

shoot better and teach better rebounding.

You'll get no argument from me....

Mar 5, 2020, 7:26 AM

I think Brownell should have been fired five years ago.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic