Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Just a friendly reminder to check in on those you love
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 641

Just a friendly reminder to check in on those you love

Jan 14, 2021, 11:37 AM

I've had a pretty tough run over the past four years of people close to me having some serious depression issues, drug abuse issues, alcohol abuse issues, and development of mental illnesses.

In 2016, one of my dads best friends son died because of an overdose of heroin/fentanyl. His sister has gone downhill since then and was caught with meth a few weeks ago and was in a car with a guy who was shot and killed in a drive-by. Both of these children were given everything they could ask for in life. They had, what from the outside, looked to be one of the most loving families.

My MIL has struggled all of Red's life with alcohol abuse. During the four years we dated, I got my first taste of just how awful this disease is and how it impacts a family. I was ignorant about a lot of it, but its truly terrible and shapes our relationship on a day to day basis. She's been doing great, and having two new grandchildren to love on has only helped her recently.

Last Sunday, I received news that my older cousin (in her 40's) attempted suicide. She lived through it, fortunately, and was in the hospital for a few days, but she's in a very dark place at the moment. Over the last year, she has separated from an abusive husband and more stories have leaked out about how poorly that guy treated her and their children. At least one of the children has picked up on the abusive behavior, so I pray that works out and he gets the help he needs.

This isn't a sympathy post, but the news from this past weekend has kind of made me reevaluate what deserves my attention and what I should be focused on. You truly do not know what someone is going through. Be kind. COVID and the lockdowns have been more than just the disease. A lot of people are alone and struggling right now. My dads best friend, mentioned above, is currently fighting for his life with cancer. His wife is struggling with her health as well while trying to keep her daughter out of further trouble. In normal times, my family would be there by their side in Cleveland to help. My cousin just visited my sister a few weeks ago and gave no signal that she was this close to a decision of whether or not her life was worth living.

Love those around you, please.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

A Kind heart to go along with those boyish good looks

Jan 14, 2021, 12:05 PM

6' stature, and small, but efficient ####... What's not to love about this guy???

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

This is a very good reply...

Jan 14, 2021, 12:25 PM

To a post that is impossible to reply to.

Great job!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2021, 12:25 PM [ in reply to A Kind heart to go along with those boyish good looks ]

Great job!

Jan 14, 2021, 12:25 PM [ in reply to A Kind heart to go along with those boyish good looks ]

Great job!

Great job!

Thanks. I appreciate all 4 of your replies!***

Jan 14, 2021, 12:26 PM

I screwed up!

Jan 14, 2021, 12:26 PM [ in reply to This is a very good reply... ]

Plus I hung up in my wife. Mobile sucks. But not as much as depression!

Typing “in” made this inappropriate.

Jan 14, 2021, 12:31 PM

But correcting it to “on” would only complicate matters.

If you hung up in your wife, try pressing pound a few times.***

Jan 14, 2021, 12:46 PM [ in reply to I screwed up! ]

Or turn the hose on them, they'll separate eventually.***

Jan 14, 2021, 12:51 PM

I will say this, I was going through a very dark stage

Jan 14, 2021, 12:59 PM

in my life 3.5-4 years ago, you guys really helped me from going over the deep end, I exchanged texts with soccerkrzy® and he certainly made it known I'm not the only one who has gone through it.

All that to say, agree with you clemsonrulez08®

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for the post!

Jan 14, 2021, 3:41 PM

I have tried to do this a lot more during Covid and when you check in and have a good talk, encourage them to do the same - it works. Most people like to help others.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

AMEN! *****

Jan 14, 2021, 4:33 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 641
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic