Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This is a good day, lungers!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

This is a good day, lungers!

Feb 15, 2021, 6:41 PM

Son-of just got his acceptance to Clemson.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah c'mon!***

Feb 15, 2021, 6:47 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Congrats!

Feb 15, 2021, 8:06 PM

Smart kid! Heard apps were up even in Covid year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Congrats! Both of mine are grads!

Feb 15, 2021, 8:33 PM

KenM_Tigerfann

Little t got in too!

Feb 15, 2021, 8:50 PM

Yeah boi!
Let’s go!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Congrats on joining poverty!***

Feb 16, 2021, 9:13 AM

What it is these days?

Feb 16, 2021, 9:32 AM

We wuz running numbers when McJr was born. 4 yrs at Clemson was on a pace to hit $300K in the year 2032. It literally Dublin just while I was there.

I'm assuming it to be closer to $200K in 2032. I think it was $100K for 4 yrs in 2014. So that means $120K-$130K today?

I'm thinking you'll have to cut some corners for

Feb 16, 2021, 9:34 AM

4 years at $120k. Heck, the new meal plans there now are like $30k per year alone.

I haven't looked too close because ouch but I believe its

Feb 16, 2021, 9:43 AM [ in reply to What it is these days? ]

ballpark $30K per year for basic. Does not include semester abroad, off campus apartment with lazy river, bail, road trips, car, STD treatment or fancy bong.

Is that the in-state price?

Feb 16, 2021, 10:22 AM

gottamnit man that's insane.

It was 30k when I got in for out of state (circa 2007), which is why I had to go to Nerd U.

Children, let me explain to you what Clemson cost in the

Feb 16, 2021, 10:26 AM

early '90s. I remember a tuition bill for a 16 hour semester was $1400. Throw in books, Johnstone dorm or Calhoun Courts apt, books, and meal plan, and a semester was around $3,500-$4000. My 4 years (and a summer) were south of $35K.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I said books twice.

Feb 16, 2021, 10:33 AM

I must really like books.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My swindling roomate had a money making plan with books.

Feb 16, 2021, 10:38 AM

He bought books at beginning of semester, then when he dropped a class he returned books to the bookstore. They looked at his receipt and refunded him the money in cash.

So he returns to bookstore with same receipt. Gets books off shelf matching receipt. Goes to front and returns books again for cash.

Repeat 3-4 times in first couple weeks of class.

Clever.

Feb 16, 2021, 10:41 AM

I mean, also stealing and illegal, but still...clever.

Yes, he was (is?) a lying cheating stealing ####### who will

Feb 16, 2021, 10:44 AM

tell you all about his relationship with Jesus if you stand near him for a few minutes.

At least he was making money on books.

Feb 16, 2021, 11:00 AM [ in reply to My swindling roomate had a money making plan with books. ]

Everyone else involved swore they didn't make anything. Not the authors, not the publisher, not the bookstore.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When I was there, the professors were really starting to

Feb 16, 2021, 11:22 AM

master the book game. They'd make you buy the book that they wrote for their class, and all assignments were to be completed in the book. Ohh, oops, looks like this book can't be reused next year, time to print fresh copies! Rinse and repeat, year after year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah that got popular

Feb 16, 2021, 1:22 PM

I wonder if they still do that?

My first semester tuition was $950

Feb 16, 2021, 10:38 AM [ in reply to Children, let me explain to you what Clemson cost in the ]

add Johnstone and meal plan it was around $1350

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's a lot of salisbury steak***

Feb 16, 2021, 10:39 AM

Yes with room board etc. Tuition roughly half of that.***

Feb 16, 2021, 6:56 PM [ in reply to Is that the in-state price? ]

More deets for financial masochists

Feb 16, 2021, 10:29 AM

https://www.collegetuitioncompare.com/edu/217882/clemson-university/tuition/#:~:text=The%20undergraduate%202020%2D2021%20estimated,out%2Dof%2Dstate%20students.

that doesn't seem too crazy

Feb 16, 2021, 10:50 AM

I only paid room and board freshman year, then lived off campus. I was living in Bankhead my last two years, but it was under $500 / month so didn't care.

I still think my tuition only was sub 10k, but I had the Hope and all that ####, so it was basically free. The only debt I had was from room and board freshman year, and then I took loans out my 5th year. Books and stuff you can usually find offline. After the weed out classes, all the professors created their own stuff for us, so books weren't really an issue.

I wreck-o-mend the co-op program...I'm pretty sure Clemson has that. Make pretty good money and get work experience.

He's also applied to Ga Tech, but kinda doubt he'll get in.

Feb 16, 2021, 10:55 AM

And even if he did he would be paying out of state tuition and probably no scholly. At Clemson he can get instate tuition and the Palmetto scholarship, so that would be a big help.

He also likes App State, but that is out of state also. He's applied to Va Tech and NC State too. College of Charleston made him a nice scholarship offer so he will have some decisions to make.

Back in the day, CoC was 10:8 girls to guys

Feb 16, 2021, 10:58 AM

2:5 Super models for every regular girl

He'd be like hey dad would you quit visiting every weekend?***

Feb 16, 2021, 11:24 AM

to this day, I still have no idea how I got in

Feb 16, 2021, 11:23 AM [ in reply to He's also applied to Ga Tech, but kinda doubt he'll get in. ]

but it worked out and saved me a ton of money.

I don't recommend going there unless you're ready to get your #### pushed in for 5 years, especially for out of state costs. Being on the fence with engineering and being local to SC, Clemson would be a no brainer. There's chicks, football, way less nerds, and you're not in the middle of DT Atlanta.

ROI is all that matters. Plenty of Clemson engineers get jobs, similar to GT, similar to Auburn.

Yeah, I think the main problem with CU for him is it's a bit

Feb 16, 2021, 11:26 AM

too close to home. I get that, I wanted to get a little distance between me and the fam too.

I know these feels...

Feb 16, 2021, 1:19 PM [ in reply to He's also applied to Ga Tech, but kinda doubt he'll get in. ]

Little t got accepted to Wofford (and other in-state schools) but the Terriers and Clemson are his final two. Wofford is redickuously asspensive but he got a nice scholarship and other offers there to keep it in the stratosphere with Clemson, I think. Will know more soon as we go through more Zoom calls and hope to get back on campus for tours, if possible.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How long until he discovers the lunge?***

Feb 16, 2021, 9:35 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

With luck, 20 years or so.***

Feb 16, 2021, 9:44 AM

Haha!

Feb 16, 2021, 9:45 AM

Congrats to him by the way, what's he planning on studying?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

TBD. He applied into engineering but says he is interested

Feb 16, 2021, 9:59 AM

in enviro science. But he has no idea really.

I got lucky, my son knew exactly what he wanted to do

Feb 16, 2021, 10:46 AM

at age 15, and is steady on that path.

My daughters on the other hand.........well, they are the reason I drink

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Indeed. In the past year he has been interested in History,

Feb 16, 2021, 10:50 AM

Marine Biology, various computer-related majors, and Environmental Science. And so he applied into Engineering.

PRO TIP: Send the boy to school prepared

Feb 16, 2021, 11:18 AM

A case of beer and 1/4 of weed is probably enough to get him on his feet. Maybe you aren't into weed, and that's OK, but I highly recommend the beer. It's going to cost you more when he gets ambushed trying to buy it with his terrible fake ID. If he can get through those first couple of weeks without trouble, usually that's enough time to get his bearings.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic