Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Days after SC Gov. McMaster orders public schools to return
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 1

Days after SC Gov. McMaster orders public schools to return

Jul 20, 2020, 11:49 AM

To full five-day-a-week education, he gives $32 million of $48 million in GEER/CARES funds to private schools.

Taxpayer money.

https://abcnews4.com/news/lowcountry-and-state-politics/gov-mcmaster-announces-safe-grants-to-help-sc-students

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Re: Days after SC Gov. McMaster orders public schools to return

Jul 20, 2020, 11:54 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I must have missed that order***

Jul 20, 2020, 12:31 PM

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Not surprising you did, but...

Jul 20, 2020, 1:41 PM

He stated it in a press conference on Wednesday.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

link?***

Jul 20, 2020, 1:56 PM

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

You cannot be serious.

Jul 20, 2020, 3:40 PM

It was a press conference he held at 11 a.m. on Wednesday.

Let me Google that for you real quick:

Jul 21, 2020, 3:09 PM [ in reply to link?*** ]

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/2020/07/20/mcmaster-allocate-32-million-grants-pay-private-school-tuition-sc/5470566002/

First result, imagine that!

Jul 20, 2020, 1:54 PM

There are 787,000 students in public schools.1 There are 66,000 students in private schools, which represent 7.7% of all K-12 students in this state.2

Just a couple notes about SC private schools:

They are not required to have any accreditation3

They are not required to have certified teachers3

77% are religiously affiliated2

Jul 20, 2020, 2:05 PM

2 = couple

did ewe attend public skool?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

a couple can mean around a few or three or four, lol***

Jul 20, 2020, 2:07 PM

Re: a couple can mean around a few or three or four, lol***

Jul 20, 2020, 2:11 PM

common corpse math

Public schools are failing our children.

Jul 20, 2020, 2:02 PM

By 'failing,' I don't mean holding them from moving to the next higher grade I mean failing to teach them before they are promoted to the next grade.

California spends more per child than most any other state and black boys fail at a 75% rate to read at grade level. That's evidence that we need a change and pumping money isn't the change we need to make.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Public education definitely failed you***

Jul 20, 2020, 2:03 PM

why you so mad these days?

Jul 20, 2020, 2:28 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's a myth.

Jul 20, 2020, 3:47 PM [ in reply to Public schools are failing our children. ]

A myth pushed by the extreme right to bolster the voucher system.

And in states like SC, the lack of funding has proven to put the schools behind others in the nation.

The amount of students America educates compared to the rest of the world is astounding, and the success rates compared to what those nations would have if they provided the same education to ALL students is well beyond them. People like to compare us to other nations like Singapore, but they ignore that those nations don't educate all students, thus they can cook the score numbers.

I'll provide links if you're willing to read them.

That's also missing the point of my post. When the governor requires public schools to go back in the middle of coronavirus--schools that are extremely ill-equipped to handle the conditions--, but then he turns around and gives the bulk of the relief money to private schools that don't have to follow those guidelines, well, something's ###### up there.

Public money should not be given to private institutions in this manner. Period.

Re: That's a myth.

Jul 20, 2020, 5:12 PM

It is only public money because it was taken from the taxpayers...many of who would prefer that money go to pay for their child's education as they see fit.

Why would the “extreme right” be pushing the voucher system?***

Jul 20, 2020, 5:54 PM [ in reply to That's a myth. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: Why would the “extreme right” be pushing the voucher system?***

Jul 20, 2020, 7:52 PM

Because it lets them push a lot more kids into private religious schools...on the taxpayer's dime.

Re: Why would the “extreme right” be pushing the voucher system?***

Jul 20, 2020, 8:46 PM

are they better schools? I mean the kids are going to get educated in one place or another and the tax dollars for education will be spent either here or there. why would they want to push them into religious schools?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jul 20, 2020, 2:04 PM

Sounds good. I mean kids in public school don’t have tuition. Amirite?

Jul 20, 2020, 2:06 PM

private schools teach more and require less money

will not be allowed!

Seems that the Gov has the authority to use GEER

Jul 20, 2020, 2:19 PM

funds for this...I just have an issue using public monies to fund private businesses...much less ones that aren’t subject to oversight/accountability.

Re: Seems that the Gov has the authority to use GEER

Jul 20, 2020, 2:24 PM

Like Tesla?

But what if I want to use the money the government takes from

Jul 20, 2020, 5:09 PM

me under threat of prison to pay for private school for my kids?

This has been a common theme over the past few years.

Jul 20, 2020, 2:36 PM [ in reply to Seems that the Gov has the authority to use GEER ]

It shouldn’t be about whether you’re technically allowed to do something, it should be about whether or not it’s right.

Yes, I agree

Jul 20, 2020, 5:44 PM

and wasn’t trying to infer that I think what he did was right.

As to Keowee’s question...I think the litmus test for the use of any public monies should be whether it provides for or proportionally improves the overall public well-being. I don’t know enough about Tesla to know if they meet this criteria...but as a general rule, private use of public funds should be a very rare occurrence IMO.

Education certainly meets my test of the public good but we already provide for this need through public education...so I don’t consider private schools to be a critical need on the whole.

With this said, I do support a parents’ right to educate their child as they see fit and I’ve got no issue with private schools in general...but the only way I would even consider use of public funding would be if the private schools opened themselves up to oversight, admitted all comers (as space allows) and maintained diversity quotas roughly in line with public schools in the area. But lets face it, even if private schools were willing to do the first, selective exclusion is why they were built in the first place.

Specific to this issue here, if it went through the

Jul 20, 2020, 6:04 PM

legislative process, debate in both houses, a signature from the governor all after public input, if vouchers are the will of the people, so be it.

This was money specifically for schools to deal with the rigors of reopening during a pandemic. Money that could have purchased masks, PPE, temperature scanning kiosks, many other things.

Now with what has been done unilaterally by McMaster by way of Devos, his administration is claiming that S.C. now has the nations largest school voucher system.

It’s a sickening abuse of power. It’s also opened up the eyes of many that have been voting against their own self interests for years on what the consequences of voting against your own interests are.

Re: Yes, I agree

Jul 20, 2020, 6:32 PM [ in reply to Yes, I agree ]

“I think the litmus test for the use of any public monies should be whether it provides for or proportionally improves the overall public well-being.”

That is a good point. I wonder if that reasoning should apply to covid shutdowns/restrictions etc.? Businesses ruined to try to save a fraction of the population.

Anyway, should parents with kids in private school be able to be exempt from property taxes? They pay for other people’s kids, then their own separately, and then get none of the assistance money?

No, not exempt

Jul 20, 2020, 7:35 PM

My dad and I have this conversation at least once/year and usually around the time property taxes are due. I explain to him that even though he doesn’t have any kids in public school, we all surely benefit from an educated populous, so we should all share in the expense to help make that happen.

The public education investment is also a major factor in

Jul 20, 2020, 8:58 PM

property values, plus the safety element schools offer by keeping kids off streets and in classrooms. If you live in an area with a strong public school system and good reputation, your residential property is very likely valued more, and your annual contribution is also likely higher due to that value. If you live in a challenged zone, that property is worth less and taxes lower.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The problem is...as with everything else...

Jul 20, 2020, 9:02 PM [ in reply to No, not exempt ]

Sounds like you live where I live!***

Jul 20, 2020, 10:23 PM

I’d like to disagree with you but

Jul 20, 2020, 6:28 PM

Re: I’d like to disagree with you but

Jul 21, 2020, 1:35 PM

Cheers on the common ground, ### munch!

That is a real head-scratcher....

Jul 20, 2020, 7:59 PM

with all of the problems swirling about reopening schools in a few weeks, this just doesn't make any sense.

I would have thought distributing the funds to help districts better prepare for in-person school with all of the added expenses of cleaning, physical separation, and on and on - would have been a much better use of the money.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But then he can’t claim to have the largest school choice

Jul 20, 2020, 8:02 PM

program.

Last week was about blowing Trump in a presser.

This week he’s fellating Devos.

I posted separately on this earlier....

Jul 21, 2020, 3:28 PM [ in reply to That is a real head-scratcher.... ]

a little reading on the subject and it makes a little more sense now.

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/On-the-McMaster-SAFE-Grants-that-was-discussed-27520940

Lots of private schools in danger of closing I would think,

Jul 20, 2020, 9:06 PM

with many parents hesitant to invest the money for what could turn out to be another year of home schooling. This is their lifeline.

If it goes down like it's being reported now, this is one serious middle finger from the Gov to our public education system knowing what they are all facing in adapting to having kids on campus during this pandemic, as well as every property owner in the state. In no way was that funding intended for this type of allocation. All South Carolinians will ultimately pay more on top of this at a local level to make up the upcoming budget shortfalls. Unbelievable.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What are they facing?

Jul 20, 2020, 9:12 PM

Maybe it won't be as dire as this article illustrates,

Jul 20, 2020, 10:08 PM

but from what I've seen in the private sector the additional costs for cleaning and prevention are going to be there. If schools don't open - sure - less money, maybe (this we don't know) - but economy?

https://www.usnews.com/news/education-news/articles/2020-06-08/report-schools-need-a-federal-bailout-in-order-to-reopen

Re: Maybe it won't be as dire as this article illustrates,

Jul 20, 2020, 10:16 PM

66% of funds going to 0.5% of SC school kids

Jul 20, 2020, 9:22 PM

Does the leadership in this state intentionally want a less educated population? Unreal. Again.

Re: 66% of funds going to 0.5% of SC school kids

Jul 21, 2020, 6:43 AM

Man...you'd think he just slashed the public school budgets. On average its over 10K per child in SC. This decision gives 6500 per child. Seems like a deal. Less kids in public schools = more money per student.

Think of it this way...he just saved $3500 per student who uses the grant for private education.

Public school budgets will be even higher this year even if

Jul 21, 2020, 3:19 PM

those 5,000 kids wind up elsewhere. It's also likely that many of the potential recipients already attended private schools to begin with.

Considering there is no magic fairy scattering funding dust about for public education, if you are a SC resident you will be paying extra for this private giveaway via your local property taxes.

That's not entirely true....

Jul 21, 2020, 3:27 PM [ in reply to 66% of funds going to 0.5% of SC school kids ]

or at the very least misleading.

Those %'s are of the GEED...not all of the CARES Act funding, which a lot of people are throwing around.

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/On-the-McMaster-SAFE-Grants-that-was-discussed-27520940

Thanks. This is more clear. Outrage level turned down by 2

Jul 21, 2020, 4:37 PM

I still assume this will only help kids already attending private schools, or those already able to afford it. New students may balk at paying the difference between full tuition vs. these grants, plus money only guaranteed for 1 year.

Appreciate the info and link.

Jul 21, 2020, 5:59 PM [ in reply to That's not entirely true.... ]

I had googled around looking for more reporting yesterday after first seeing this and came up with nothing.

Definitely not ##### worthy considering the other resources at play. Still, private K-12 and colleges also are facing a world of hurt in the not-too-distant future.

If you want to send your kids to private school

Jul 21, 2020, 3:14 PM

You pay the tuition to do so. The tax payers are not in the business of private education, nor should they be.

The main obstacle for reopening public schools safely was the costs involved, so this is just rich.

Re: If you want to send your kids to private school

Jul 21, 2020, 4:26 PM

Private schools are reopening (in person) and not playing politics with the kids like public schools and their associations. So, yep, this is about opening schools...in person.

As I am a taxpayer, perhaps I should not be in the business of contributing to public education if I don't avail myself of the schools.

Replies: 48
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic