Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This from CNN
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

This from CNN

Jul 1, 2020, 1:15 PM

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/01/health/peyton-chesser-coronavirus-texas/index.html

This girl is a prime example of the 99%.
She got the virus and now has the antibodies. She explains her symptoms in the story those of which sound EXACTLY like having a bad sinus infection to which most people experience one or two times a year. And 8 days later ie 1 week and 1 day she’s back to normal.
She took all precautions and I’m speculating but probably wore a mask.
My point again is this virus is inevitable. It is going to do what it does no matter how much time resources money and effort is thrown at it. The experts know it and the sooner this is “woke” or whatever to the public the better

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

She sounded real careful

Jul 1, 2020, 1:24 PM

"She resumed grocery trips and even went back to a gym. And right around then, to her frustration, she came down with Covid-19. She still doesn't know where she picked it up."

I don't know... maybe you got it at the gym?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

I always catch stuff at the gym

Jul 1, 2020, 1:28 PM

Signed, Francis Marion®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I always catch stuff at the gym

Jul 1, 2020, 1:43 PM

Francis catches stuff while laying unclothed in the tanning bed.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I only caught something that way...

Jul 1, 2020, 2:37 PM

twice.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: I only caught something that way...

Jul 2, 2020, 2:34 PM

At the same time?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lol..CNN. Cartoon Network is a better souce for news.***

Jul 1, 2020, 1:34 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: Lol..CNN. Cartoon Network is a better souce for news.***

Jul 1, 2020, 1:39 PM

That’s exactly my point. If CNN is reporting this story which basically says taking precautions is all for not and that the 99% who get it experience a week long bad sinus infection. Then why is everyone blowing this thing up like we’re all gonna die?

Re: Lol..CNN. Cartoon Network is a better souce for news.***

Jul 1, 2020, 9:52 PM

Teetering on 130k deaths as of today , so while 99% may only get sick and subsequently recover ... there are an awful lot of folks who got it who then succumbed to it .
130 thousand people .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

OAN FTW!!!!!***

Jul 1, 2020, 2:17 PM [ in reply to Lol..CNN. Cartoon Network is a better souce for news.*** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

clearly because 1 person was careful and still got it

Jul 1, 2020, 1:42 PM

everybody will get it so might as well not try to protect yourself. It's like vaccinations. They are stupid because they don't guarantee that you will not get the flu. Right? F-Grandma. Only 130,000 dead so far but they were old anyways.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: clearly because 1 person was careful and still got it

Jul 1, 2020, 1:44 PM

Washing your hands may be just as important as wearing a mask.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No one seems to know the origin of this virus

Jul 1, 2020, 1:52 PM

I have always suspected it was created by some “mad scientist” and,if so, finding him could lead to a cure. Apparently it began in China. Has anyone read about this possible approach?

Jul 1, 2020, 1:53 PM [ in reply to Re: clearly because 1 person was careful and still got it ]

I make sure to wash my hands before I wash my hands

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 1, 2020, 2:10 PM [ in reply to clearly because 1 person was careful and still got it ]

Do you even realize wearing a mask doesn’t protect yourself? And it’s not f grandma. But grandma is old and will die. Just like every other human in history. I’m not saying we should all ignore sensible personal hygiene. I’m just saying the virus is going to do what it does regardless of human intervention. Once people come to terms with that I think the mass paranoia that the media has created will die down. And as for grandma she’s just as likely to get killed in a car wreck on the way to bilo

Jul 1, 2020, 2:25 PM

Well I guess all these doctors and nurses are complete idiots. Who needs a stupid mask in the hospital when treating Infectious disease patients. ??

Jul 1, 2020, 2:35 PM

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4480558/

Do you own research instead of just going along with what your told man. Just do a quick google search on “why do nurses and surgeons wear masks” and to keep the bias down don’t read anything from the COVID-19 period. The results will have you second guessing these “expert” opinions

Jul 1, 2020, 5:15 PM [ in reply to Re: clearly because 1 person was careful and still got it ]

If Biden is elected in November, the virus will continue to around, but it will be a non story
for the fake news.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

She wasn't even careful. I don't really understand what this

Jul 1, 2020, 2:42 PM [ in reply to clearly because 1 person was careful and still got it ]

article is pushing because this one sentence basically sums everything up:

She resumed grocery trips and even went back to a gym. And right around then, to her frustration, she came down with Covid-19. She still doesn't know where she picked it up.

So she was initially very cautious and shortly after abandoning most of that caution, she caught the virus. Wow! Shocking!

I'm not throwing stones because my wife and I have also recently resumed a couple of social activities. She's back at the gym two days a week and I'm back in my TH night bowling league with a few friends/family members, but we obviously understand the risk and if one of us ends up catching Covid we certainly won't be saying "Oh gee i can't possibly imagine how i caught the virus, i was being so careful!"

Re: She wasn't even careful. I don't really understand what this

Jul 1, 2020, 2:49 PM

Happy to hear y’all have resumed somewhat normal social activities. I’m sure this girl did not abandon her caution to the extreme as you put it. She like a lot of others including you guys(from what you said) decided it was time to ease back into some sort of a lifestyle other than “tuck and cover”

She wasn’t careful. That dumb dumb went to the gym

Jul 6, 2020, 10:01 AM [ in reply to clearly because 1 person was careful and still got it ]

You wanna catch something that’s the place. I don’t care how much they wipe everything down people are breathing really hard in there

saw this ealier. If other people are not taking

Jul 1, 2020, 3:26 PM

precautions, the virus will continue to spread.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hey man!

Jul 1, 2020, 5:31 PM

I know a lot of people feel it is “inevitable” to a degree, but curious your thoughts on why it only seems to be inevitable in America, as opposed to Europe? Cases in Spain and Italy are down considerably. Even in previously hard hit US areas like New York, they are trending down. It seems reasonable to follow some of their ideas that have worked to slow the spread maybe?

Re: Hey man!

Jul 1, 2020, 5:56 PM

I don’t think it’s only in America. It’s definitely a global problem. And many countries in Europe and Asia are reporting “spikes”. Also those countries don’t have 330 million people like the US. If you look at this from a per capita stand point these “spikes” you can see we never “slowed” the spread. It just seemed that way since testing has increased 3 fold we are seeing more positives yes. But on the same ratio as 3 months ago. The media just wants to perceive that it’s spreading worse than 3 months ago

Except, especially locally in SC,

Jul 1, 2020, 6:16 PM

It actually is spreading quite a bit more! Our percent positive test rate has skyrocketed, meaning more people are actually testing positive per person tested. I can speak firsthand that we have literally 6 times more Covid admissions in my hospital than we did in April/May. I am hoping that we don’t have to start canceling elective surgeries again, but our hospital bed situation is becoming tighter.

Jul 1, 2020, 6:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Hey man! ]

Unfortunately you are wrong about the fact that more testing is inflating the numbers. The fact is the percent positives in SC have double in the last month from 10% of all test results coming back positive pre-labor day to 20% positives now. Take into account the fact that we have far more test and aren’t strictly testing those with symptoms or direct contact with confirmed cases and it presents a pretty strong argument that the restriction did in fact slow down the transmission.

The real question, I think, is whether we could ever slow it down enough to make a difference. Or even was the economic loss less severe than the potential loss of life. Or even did it present enough of a threat to our healthcare system to warrant the shut downs in the first place. But the evidence is clear that the transmission was much lower before we started re-opening around Labor Day.

Jul 1, 2020, 7:21 PM

Link to the numbers showing the percent positives per tests have gone up? Please.

Jul 1, 2020, 7:42 PM

This is from Johns Hopkins. It shows all states and US positives per tests. The graph is pretty clear. Tests go up positives go up. Percent positives stay the same. Math don’t lie like the news and politicians

Jul 1, 2020, 7:42 PM

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states/usa

You bring up a good point about national statistics though

Jul 1, 2020, 8:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Hey man! ]

I think a big problem with our national response is that we aren’t treating this as regionally as we should - as in, when you take numbers in aggregate, that national percent positive looks alright - but mainly because the NY/NJ hub is tracking mich better. I think what happened to an extent is, NY and a couple big cities got hit really hard, while we got hit minimally, but suffered the Same economic consequences initially at the shut down. This led to a lot of resentment here as it felt like it was all for nothing since we didn’t have many cases. Now, as the danger in South Carolina is actually much higher, people are too fatigued to care about it and have formed preconceived notions about the severity already. I think the big points now are, we don’t have to shut down - just prioritize outside interaction rather than prolonged indoors, and wear a mask. The data is pretty clear now. I’d like to see our economy remain open as much as possible, and I think it could successfully, if we all just gave a little and wore a dang mask. I wanna see some football this fall

Jul 2, 2020, 2:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Hey man! ]
JH_SC.png(55.6 K)
SC_Covid.png(37.3 K)

This is for SC specifically, from JH and SCDHEC. The blue line for percent positives has been increasing. The JH model shows increasing since about May 20th

Clemson

Looks like we have flattened the curve

Jul 6, 2020, 10:03 AM

USA USA USA

SCDHEC actually has a surprisingly nice website

Jul 1, 2020, 8:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Hey man! ]

https://www.scdhec.gov/infectious-diseases/viruses/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19/sc-testing-data-projections-covid-19

Scroll down a bit and it lists the percent positive trends. We were around 4-6% in May, steadily creeping up toward 18-20%ish lately. This unfortunately means we’re not testing enough, rather than testing “too much” if you will, as to contain effectively it needs to be more in the 3-5% range. Anecdotally, we are also catching more patients who get routinely tested prior to surgery (regardless of symptoms) indicating a random sampling is hitting at a higher rate too.

Jul 1, 2020, 9:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Hey man! ]

I’m not talking about nationally, I’m talking about locally in SC. Your link proves exactly my point. Percent positive around 5% mid-May, spikes are around 20% mid June. Like you said, numbers don’t lie.

Re: This from CNN

Jul 1, 2020, 7:07 PM

Blondey was careful. LOL.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This from CNN

Jul 1, 2020, 7:16 PM

The actual rise in Covid 19 has nothing to do with social distancing or mask wearing, It's mostly due to the FACT that most of the people catching Covid 19 are young people. The tests are free.and drive up.
Therefore when a young person tests positive they are told to go home and sit by themselves for 14 days. So after about 7 days or until the next Friday or Saturday night they drive to one of those free drive up testing centers to get tested again (may they could be negative.) But when they get tested again, they test positive AGAIN.

Therefore since the testing is free and drive up they get tested multiple times and multiple times they are tested as NEW Covid 19 CASES.

I had am absolutely ok with the testing being free and drive up but you should be required to show a picture ID just like they ask you to do when you vote.

The largest testing sites in the state (via musc)

Jul 1, 2020, 8:23 PM

Actually do require not only identification (at least verbally) but both a prescription for a test and an actual appointment. There may be a few smaller local testing centers that allow drive up without an appointment, but generally speaking you still need a prescription. There aren’t many young people showing up randomly and repetitively - we know this because there isn’t much reason to test someone twice, unless they are testing prior to a procedure, and their prior negative tests would still be on file. Much less, I don’t think the young folks who are actually coming down with it are likely to get tested if they remain asymptomatic and have a baseline level of not giving a crap.

That is pure horse feces***

Jul 2, 2020, 7:51 PM [ in reply to Re: This from CNN ]

It seems like the World needs a Health Organization

Jul 2, 2020, 7:45 PM

whose entire focus is to prevent things like this from happening.

They can have decades off, but must spring into action when something like this arises.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All you have to do is look at nearly every other country

Jul 2, 2020, 7:48 PM

For how things will play out with a competent president and an educated population. We just have too many stupid people in this country.

Sounds like you should move there with all the enlightened

Jul 6, 2020, 10:04 AM

Ones

Not worth it

Jul 6, 2020, 11:24 AM

Nm

Message was edited by: TennesseeLadyTiger®

Replies: 41
| visibility 1