Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Overton's Decision: Playing time versus long-range development
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 52
| visibility 1

New Story: Overton's Decision: Playing time versus long-range development

Dec 22, 2015, 7:01 AM

Overton's Decision: Playing time versus long-range development

Diondre Overton has narrowed his college choice to just two schools, and now he wants to take the holidays to mull over which of the two is the best fit. The choice comes down to long-range success versus immediate playing time as he takes a long look at both the Tigers and the Wolfpack.
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At 6'5 he'd play sooner then he might think

Dec 22, 2015, 7:15 AM

We need big wr's on the outside. He wouldn't sit three years. We have played freshmen the last two years.
GO TIGERS!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes. but next year in front of him

Dec 22, 2015, 7:29 AM

will be Williams and Cain. Thompson too... I can see his hesitance but if he wants to develop and play on Sundays, it's a no brainer.

The Clemson to NFL WR pipeline is

Dec 22, 2015, 7:46 AM

Well-established. We have qbs that can get you the ball. Come on over it will make millions of dollars per year difference. I know that's a tough decision for an 18 yr old. But don't make a multi M per yr mistake. Besides will they take you to Frankie's fun park as they prepare for the NC? Doubtful. Go Tigers!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He'd be our tallest WR.

Dec 22, 2015, 7:46 AM [ in reply to At 6'5 he'd play sooner then he might think ]

But only an inch taller than Williams.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

There's also no assurance, at least at this point....

Dec 22, 2015, 7:54 AM

that Williams will be medically cleared to play next year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Williams could have come back and played this year.***

Dec 22, 2015, 10:24 AM

Not so sure about that.....

Dec 22, 2015, 10:58 AM

He's been wearing a neck brace all season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm tellin' ya. He could have come back.***

Dec 22, 2015, 11:35 AM

The neck brace has been off for a few weeks now ...

Dec 22, 2015, 12:25 PM [ in reply to Not so sure about that..... ]

... but, I think the biggest thing was that he wasn't really allowed to do much while he was wearing it so he had lost muscle mass and stamina and was not in playing shape.

He needs an offseason of weightlifting and conditioning to get back to being able to play.

He'll be ready for spring ball.

I respect his decision to take his time but

Dec 22, 2015, 7:17 AM

Is ncst vs Clemson a tough choice? I mean no disrespect to ncst and obviously im a Clemson fan but i just dont see why he would go to ncst over us at this point in time. Clemson has proven that if your talented & put in the hard work you will get your playing time.

The young man hasn't committed

Dec 22, 2015, 8:25 AM

Because he wanted to enjoy the process. He's Clemson bound and the coaches and other recruits have known this for a long time. Back during the summer at a camp with several clemson verbals they invited him to be in a picture with all the clemson commits. Clemson tells kids don't commit if you're going to take official visits and so he's held off on committing but he's a Tiger just like R. Smith.

Re: The young man hasn't committed

Dec 22, 2015, 8:27 AM

Sounds solid to me.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thats a good point

Dec 22, 2015, 11:39 AM [ in reply to The young man hasn't committed ]

I wasn't thinking about our policy on committing and taking other visits. I hope your right, im not sure where we are ranked in the recruiting rankings but picking up Overton and Smith would pretty much guarantee us another top 15 recruiting class, possibly top 10

Re: I respect his decision to take his time but

Dec 22, 2015, 10:02 AM [ in reply to I respect his decision to take his time but ]

He would be closer to home and would get more playing time but I would choose Clemson due to a more favorable qb situation now and in the future.

Patience

Dec 22, 2015, 7:30 AM

Oh how I know that one word is anathema to young players, but have some patience. There is no reason why you wouldn't get some playing time early. Both offensive co-ordinators have shown how they do put first years in, if they are mature enough and have learned the play book. Secondly, we are talking about your future......go to Clemson, get a career in the NFL, go to State(I live 5 miles from campus, so they are my adopted second team)and you get to serve fries with that shake. This IS about your entire future, not just the next four years.

The young man needs to understand....

Dec 22, 2015, 7:40 AM

that anything worth having is worth waiting for.

How many freshmen are we currently playing again?

Advice, look at the potential...

Dec 22, 2015, 7:57 AM

QB's that will be throwing you the passes, plus the offensive scheme. Clemson- NCSU right now is not even close IMO.

Seems like a good, thoughtful young man

Dec 22, 2015, 8:02 AM

He's been blessed with almost perfect physical attributes and talent. I'm sure he will make the decision that's right for him and his family, good luck. Of course, I hope he finds that Clemson offers him exactly what he needs to enhance those God given attributes to make it and succeed at the next level.

Indeed!***

Dec 22, 2015, 8:03 AM

Re: New Story: Overton's Decision: Playing time versus long-range development

Dec 22, 2015, 8:05 AM

Come to Clemson and you get to be coached by a staff that puts WRs in the NFL, plus you get to learn from the abundance of talent around you. 6'5, learn the playbook, hard work and dedication to your craft = playing time at Clemson!
Go Tigers!

Does NCST have a decent QB to replace Brissett?***

Dec 22, 2015, 8:10 AM

Jalan McClendon backed-up Brissett....

Dec 22, 2015, 8:30 AM

He's was a three-star pro-style QB out of Charlotte. He chose NC State over offers from Florida State, North Carolina, and Miami (among others).

I guess that's not terrible. I would think looking for a

Dec 22, 2015, 8:37 AM

quality QB would be as important to a WR. DW4 can make a bad receiver look like Megatron.

DW4 will not be throwing much to these guys

Dec 27, 2015, 9:20 AM

He is likely to play here only one more year when the new recruits will be freshman. Yes freshman will get some playing time, but not a whole lot. It will be hard for anyone to jump ahead of Williams, Cain and Scott. It will be hard to jump Thompson and McCloud too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 22, 2015, 8:14 AM

Sooooooooooooooo, let me get this right......

Bryant
Cooper
Israel
Johnson
Brice

as opposed to 2 3-star freshmen and a 2-star freshman to throw to you......

No brainer.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 22, 2015, 8:33 AM

If he comes in and works his butt off and earns the playing time, he'll get it.

I know Cain is a "bigger" recruit, but that's a prime example of coming in and displaying your talent and getting playing time.

We lose Peake, but gain Mike Williams. In the boundary rotation he could definitely see some PT as a true freshman.

It won't be as easy to get on the field at Clemson, but you'll definitely be better off in the long run.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Not saying we are a lock to get him but...

Dec 22, 2015, 8:38 AM

look at who's gloves he decided to wear at the shrine bowl game! Go Tigers!!!

Re: Not saying we are a lock to get him but...

Dec 22, 2015, 9:05 AM

I agree the glove choice at the shrine bowl shows me he is a smart kid and if u wanna catch td passes and win championships on your way to the nfl u pick clemson

Nuk, Sammy, Jaron, Bryant, Humphries ... nuff said.***

Dec 22, 2015, 8:38 AM

Former NFL coach Brian Billick, who currently works as an analyst for NFL Network, took to Twitter to offer high praise of Clemson’s development of pro wide receiver prospects.

“I don’t know who plays WR at Clemson right now but I’d just draft them in the first round regardless,” Billick tweeted.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

His decision will be what's best for him.

Dec 22, 2015, 8:42 AM

If immediate playing time is truly important to him, then NCST may be the right choice. There is something to be said for early PT. We're hoping Shaq Smith feels that way - right?

What we don't want is for him to be sold on Clemson and end up with a poor attitude if he gets buried on the depth chart. If he's the type of kid who can't handle that (e.g. D. Kitt) then he's better off not wasting our time or his.

Personally, I see him getting some early opportunities because of his size and skills. At the end of the day, though, I want him on campus ONLY if he truly wants to be a Clemson Tiger. That alone will get him through any tough times he may encounter.

Really, this applies all recruits. Our coaches know they have talent, and our Clemson Google department knows they have character. Only the players know if they truly want to be part of what we have. We need ALL THREE ingredients to ensure sustained success.

If it is meant to be, then let it be. Go Tigers!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WL

I hope we land Overton, but..

Dec 22, 2015, 9:09 AM

if we do not, I won't even be bummed for a sec. I love who we have on campus coupled with the addition of Powell and TJ Chase. The more the merrier though, but oh well if we don't land him. We will be pretty stacked and can add more studs in 2017.

Re: I hope we land Overton, but..

Dec 22, 2015, 10:08 AM

Rather NC state not have a receiving weapon like him

Good point and also my biggest worry.**

Dec 22, 2015, 10:21 AM

nm

I'd love to see him playing for the Tigers--just hope he...

Dec 22, 2015, 9:10 AM

makes the best decision for him and his family. He knows Clemson can help him become the player he wants to be.
Go Tigers!!

This decision is easy if...

Dec 22, 2015, 9:12 AM

...he listens to himself.

"With Clemson, it's just the entire program and the way they have been developing their wide receivers. I feel like they can really help me there and get me to the next level.”

The only thing that will slow him down from getting on the field his FR year

Dec 22, 2015, 9:17 AM

is learning the playbook. If he knows the plays, Dabo will tell the OCs to work him in just like we've done woth every other talented FR to come through the program.

null

Dec 22, 2015, 9:22 AM

Cornell and Diondre with Deon and Ray Ray

TJ Chase is a stud too without question.

Dec 22, 2015, 9:30 AM

I also have faith that Trevion Thompson will be a stud before he leaves. Maybe Shadell Bell is something? I haven't heard much about him. Also, who knows who land in 2017? We're stacked ether way though with Williams, Scott, Thompson, Renfro, McCloud, Bell, Cain, Powell, and Chase. Then we can load up in 2017 again. Plus Feaster is going o catch a lot of passes as well. Overton just needs to come in and work hard and wait for his chance to shine even if it takes a couple of years. He will have his chance. I hope we land him and he can come in with a great attitude and wait, maybe even RS if needed.

Oh and Hopper too who has improved big time.**

Dec 22, 2015, 9:35 AM

nm

Re: Oh and Hopper too who has improved big time.**

Dec 22, 2015, 10:07 AM

That's 10 WR's plus Chase and Powell. And then Overton. Good problem to have, but you can't say it won't be challenging to keep them all ocused and avoid chemistry issues.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Oh and Hopper too who has improved big time.**

Dec 22, 2015, 10:21 AM

Thankfully this is where our coaches excell. We rotate so many guys with different packages.
Next year, I could see him only playing clean up duty behind Mike dub, Cain, and Trevion. But the next year he would firmly be in the rotation.

Can he Fair Catch? If so, he's got a chance to play soon...***

Dec 22, 2015, 10:18 AM

Fair catch and make the catch, we had issues with that too.

Dec 22, 2015, 12:29 PM

nm

Is it a fair catch if you don't make the catch?***

Dec 27, 2015, 9:27 AM

Dec 22, 2015, 10:20 AM

I respect the thought process but I just don't see how anyone sees this scenario as anything but an obvious choice - Clemson.

We have been churning out receivers year-after-year, are the undisputed #1 team in the country, all over the news, never hard to find on a television set, ranked 4th in academics, have the #1 head coach & defensive coordinator, and have NFL coaches tweeting that they'd draft our wide receivers on being from Clemson alone, before watching tape or combine-grading.

When's the last time you ever heard anything like all of that attached to NC State? You might work for your position in the depth chart here but that's the case with any top-rated program, as it should be. Our veterans and coaches will inevitably make him better, he will get a better education & statistically be more likely to earn a degree here at Clemson. Look at the growth and maturation of Deon Cain in just one season! Come aboard Overton... It's quite simply the one plausible choice.

Dec 22, 2015, 12:22 PM

How is it even a choice? NC State? Really. Why would any recruit pick NC State over Clemson when you compare what the two have to offer? Blows my mind.

He'll get a lot more national exposure at Clemson.

Dec 22, 2015, 12:32 PM

The wolf puppies don't even get the most exposure in their own state.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Gamecocks aren’t ready to take college football by storm just yet. They’re not even ready to compete in their own state – Clemson will still own the territory. Gamecocks fans would be smart to keep their heads buried until that time. Avoid talking trash to a much better Clemson program.” -Dustin Tackett

He should go where he will be happy. However, Clemson

Dec 22, 2015, 12:42 PM

has a good record of showcasing freshmen receivers.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: He should go where he will be happy. However, Clemson

Dec 22, 2015, 1:03 PM

What some people are forgetting is that some of these guys may very well leave after 3 years. Overton will make the choice based on his gut feeling. To US, its a no brainer. What does mama think?

Clemson could use a 6'5 Overton and 6'4 Williams

Dec 22, 2015, 11:13 PM

How sweet would that be!?!?!

That would certainly help keep Clemson winning championships.

GO TIGERS!

Dec 23, 2015, 6:46 AM

I get the quality of program vs. immediate playing time choice. I would remind Diondre that NCSU has a coach that shove DW4 during a game (no class, no impulse control for that RB coach).

Also, why is it that our BB program can offer lots of PT to top players, yet they almost always choose KU, Duke, or Chapel Hillabad?

Dec 27, 2015, 1:55 AM

I also think this is a no brainier. He's over thinking this one. -- Yes, NCST isn't bad, but look at the whole -- being from Raleigh originally I can tell you that the campus is nothing special, nor is the area in Raliegh proper. Their QB is leaving and he's the most talented on that squad, next to their RB (which I don't know his year). The school is inconsistent at the moment. Academically he wouldn't be challenged to graduate on time (in a typical 3 year cycle). He wouldn't be given enough lip service to on ESPN even if he individually played well, b/c it's a team sport and most likely unless major things change within that team they will not be in major contender (during his time there).

Points for NCST:
They aren't pushovers. I'm glad they're in the ACC.
Points against:
They're fans aren't so great. Sorry, I've just experienced some super rudeness.
-They're fans are nothing compared to Clemson at home. At NCST the Wolfpack fans will walk out on you in the fourth quarter with ten minutes to go with your team trailing by a few points. Look at the replay during the Halloween game... Inexcusable.

Clemson
-In the Top 5 academically to graduate scholarship athletes
-(We're building) a National Contender, or at least a top ten ranked school, year in and out.
-We have the coach of the year.
-We have some of the up and coming biggest names in the NFL coming from our program.
-ESPN is re-writing their ###### on Clemson. -- You will get noticed, if you put in the work.
- You will be challenged and reach your true potential -- you will work next to other highly ranked players and fight for the top spot and learn so much in the process. Do you think if you made it to the NFL it would be any different?
-Freshmen play at Clemson. We rotate our WRs and other skill positions like hockey lines. -- you want a perfect deep ball to catch and a ESPN highlight reel? Eh-hem... Two words, Deshaun Watson.
-We won't walk out on you... Tigernation will show rain, sleet or snow. We didn't walk out on our guys when we played ND in a hurricane! We watched a late game drive turn into a historic goal line stop. (I lost most of my voice in the first quarter that game and while the water squished in my cold soaked shoes I still shouted until the closing whistle. Who would ever walk out on your team?...Eh-hem, Wolfpack )

End of story... Come to Clemson, with a little bit of hard work and guts, you're bound to have a good time.

Someone call this kid.. I'm ready to pitch him.

Replies: 52
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic