Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thinking about geechie this morning...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 393

Thinking about geechie this morning...

Apr 19, 2016, 8:47 AM

My first thought was, I don't think we hardly ever agreed on anything. When it comes to politics and religion, we were truly on opposite ends of the spectrum. This is a "Politics & Religion" board. Its very purpose is for us to discuss things we disagree about. You aren't a true Lunger if geechie hadn't told you that you were "always right, but rarely correct". Heck, he'd find some reason to accuse Karl Marx of being a nasty pub if given enough time.

But then I thought...there are some things we had in common. When you get down to it, we are all alike in more ways than we are different, in ways that matter.

We all love our teams. That's why we're here in the first place, right? It is a sports site, after all. Geechie was always positive about his Tigers. Not sure I ever saw him say a negative word about them.

We love our homes and families. If there's one thing we knew about geechie, it's that he loved where he was. To hear him tell it, Edisto was heaven, and he was living the dream. It didn't matter how much bickering was done here...when it was over, he was finding a spot on or near the water, and he won the day. Geechie only occasionally mentioned family, but when he did it was in glowing terms.

Geechie would get down in the mud with us on politics, but you know I never got the feeling that geechie was in any way a mean or negative person in real life. I know that if one of us needed something, he would be there to help. His politics, while not agreeable to me, were shaped by a love for the plight of the less fortunate. I think that, if we put away the T-Net facade, we would all find each other to be caring people in the real world.

Geechie loved life, no doubt about it. PnR was a frivolous excursion for him, but his life was about being on that boat. We often don't act like it, but this place isn't all that important in the grand scheme of things. Like geechie, we use it as an occasional escape from the real joys of our lives.

We're never going to agree on a whole lot of things here, and that's OK. But I'm going to do my best, while I'm posting, to remember the things I have in common with the person I'm posting with (against). If I do that, I think I can avoid making a personal attack. I think it'd be a more valuable conversation.

Thanks, geechie, for the memories.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well said, coot.***

Apr 19, 2016, 8:54 AM

Inspired words.***

Apr 19, 2016, 9:00 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thinking about geechie this morning...

Apr 19, 2016, 9:07 AM

Great post, prod.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I had some tmail conversations with him over the years.

Apr 19, 2016, 9:08 AM

I don't think his persona here matched his persona in real life. I think anyone regardless of belief would have enjoyed sitting down in Edisto and talking to Geechie. He was a smart, accomplished guy with a sense of humor and I sensed that he really enjoyed life.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Reading his obituary, about his accomplishments

Apr 19, 2016, 9:14 AM

and education was great. I think most of us knew a little bit about his background, but to see it laid out there was impressive. This was a man that probably forgot more than I've ever known.

Re: Reading his obituary, about his accomplishments

Apr 19, 2016, 9:21 AM

He and I had spoken some in the past about his Kansas days, his family and his LOVE of shrimping.

We didn't agree on Hillary, for whatever reason, he loved her. But, we agreed about the love for our families and the outdoors.

Like him, you'll often find me in creeks, etc.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well said Prod.***

Apr 19, 2016, 9:32 AM

Unfortunately, death is something we all have in common

Apr 19, 2016, 9:34 AM

No matter your race, religion, politics, or whatever. It is probably the ultimate thing we all have in common and facing it forces you to see the commonalities and not the differences. It will humble anyone. I deal with it daily in my job. I will be dealing with it in an hour and a half, in fact.

Every person lives a life, no matter how short or long. How you live it is all that matters since death awaits us all. Geechie lived a good life, and that's all that matters.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Excellent post... +1.***

Apr 19, 2016, 4:26 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 393
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic