Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: They're baaaack: Venables returns whole starting defense next season
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 5,468

TNET: They're baaaack: Venables returns whole starting defense next season

Jan 21, 2021, 8:01 AM

They're baaaack: Venables returns whole starting defense next season

They’re baaaack. Safety Nolan Turner announced earlier this week that he would return for a final season at Clemson, meaning that defensive coordinator Brent Venables has all 11 starters back on defense next season. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They've got alot to prove to the public and themselves...

Jan 21, 2021, 8:30 AM

that last showing was horrible. Those DBs got burnt over and over and over. Those DLineman got hardly any pressure on the QB and the LBs were constantly late on getting the calls in and chasing their tails....They got alot to prove. I've got a feeling that last performance is eating at Coach V and he'll be on a mission.

Couldn't agree more, ^^this^^ plus a few of the new guys=

Jan 21, 2021, 8:55 AM

Better tackling is needed. Whatever that entails - 1 on 1 ..

Jan 21, 2021, 8:57 AM [ in reply to They've got alot to prove to the public and themselves... ]

angles, strength, recognition, assignment discipline etc.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe they got soft...

Jan 21, 2021, 9:27 AM

practicing against the Clemson OL.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Maybe they got soft...

Jan 21, 2021, 10:17 AM

??

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: They're baaaack: Venables returns whole starting defense next season

Jan 21, 2021, 10:22 AM

This is optimistic. A more skeptical fan would note that the defense that gave up seven touchdowns and three very long pass completions to Ohio State is coming back to open against Georgia. I am not quivering with anticipation.

Jan 21, 2021, 11:13 AM

A. OSU and Bama were the only teams capable of that this past season. UGA definitely not those two.

B. A lot of young players need to grow up and let’s hope this COVID mess is gone so that we can get some continuity built.

C. With the amount of talent we have returning and coming in the players that are not up to snuff will get weeded out and I fully expect to see a much improved D next season.

D. Offense is loaded.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Returning everyone is always going to be a

Jan 21, 2021, 2:17 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: They're baaaack: Venables returns whole starting defense next season ]

huge positive. Most players tend to improve each year, and, at the very least, it creates depth and competition. Those guys aren't all guaranteed starting spots next year and I would bet at least a couple lose out to younger players. Qss

Jan 21, 2021, 12:13 PM

1. David Hood better be careful! That type of objective constructive criticism is going to kill his pulse rate!

2. There is no doubt that DK is talented, but given the fact that he can’t seem to stay out of trouble, a.k.a. the love shack, should we play someone that may be slightly less talented but can stay on the field and be reliable?

3. The biggest problem against VT and especially OSU was them repeatedly snapping the ball while our guys were looking at the sideline or out of position. Our DL was often standing flat footed not ready for the play. One of Sermon’s TD’s went left while nearly every defender was on the other side of the field. Teams are adjusting to BV’s tactic of lining up late or changing looks after the offense lines up. That more than anything caused our defense to look silly versus OSU.

Jan 21, 2021, 12:24 PM

"The biggest problem against VT" is where you lost your last bit of credibility (not that you had much).

We gave up 10 points and 333 total yards in that game without several defensive regulars.

Jan 21, 2021, 12:52 PM

And they moved the ball well in the first half showing OSU how to attack our defense.

Do you actually watch the games?

Jan 21, 2021, 1:08 PM

"They moved the ball well" and if they kept moving it that well they might have finished with 17 or 20 points. Again the finished the entire game with 333 and only 130 on the ground vs their 240 per game average rushing. That's hardly a blueprint for success.

Are you under the impression that we didn't make adjustments and stop them from moving the ball, or do you think VT just decided they would stop trying what was working?

Did you also forget that when they were moving the ball a little we had just inserted our 3rd string middle LB who was the one responsible for trying to get the calls in? I guess that was part of the gameplan OSU stole also since they had our 3rd string guy back in there early in the 2nd quarter.

Those two teams were not the first to try to quick huddle or run a hurry-up offense against Venables.

The difference is that OSU had elite talent.

You seem to also be forgetting, while saying our whole team was on the wrong side of the field, that Trenton Simpson was standing in the hole on the Sermon TD when he was put in a headlock/bearhug and pulled out of position. The refs didn't cost us the game, but you can't just pretend that we didn't have anybody ready and in position to make the play just to fit your narrative.

So I ask you.... Do you actually watch the games?

Jan 22, 2021, 8:16 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: They're baaaack: Venables returns whole starting defense next season ]

I actually agree with you. Though we won the game comfortably and made great adjustments we gave OSU film. VT doesn’t have the talent to take advantage of us. OSU has equal or some may say more talent and we have to play lights out. We obviously didn’t.

Next season I believe we will be overall more talented and experienced so I expect to be much improved. A lot of our issues was inexperience this past season.

Jan 21, 2021, 1:17 PM

How does the extra year of eligibility and more seniors coming back than normal affect recruiting and the number of scholarships they offer?

Jan 21, 2021, 1:23 PM

It didn't affect much for '21 recruits because the returning seniors like Skalski and Spiers don't count against the 85 limit for next season.

It may affect numbers moving forward depending on how many players who are currently underclassmen stay for an extra year at the end of their careers.

Most likely though, at Clemson it will be balanced out fairly quickly with a few juniors leaving early for the draft and the possibility of guys entering the transfer portal if they are behind some of the really deep positions.

Smart write-up

Jan 21, 2021, 1:28 PM

The defense is indeed loaded to again wallop the hapless ACC who was winless in bowl games.

IMHO the Tiger D will need more speed to compete against any team with top-tier skill players. Murphy and Bresee along with Davis were the top players on D this season as indicated by their inclusion in pre-season All-American teams. We know Turner and Skalski are high character ballers who are susceptible vs. speed receivers. BV will focus on CB and S this Summer, and 2021 Defense will be dynamite by the playoffs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 21, 2021, 2:11 PM

I’m sorry, but I don’t see this as a good thing. Alabama, Ohio st, Georgia, and us in the past would never have all 11 returning because they all have multiple players that are good enough to be drafted in the first 3 rounds. This defense does not, which shows how far it’s fallen in terms of talent from recent years. Now obviously some of our younger players could grow into NFL prospects, but for an elite team like Clemson to not have any players drafted on one side of the ball is not a cause for celebration.

Jan 21, 2021, 3:05 PM

Most of the talent on this defense are under classmen. Outside of Skulski and Turner the two leaders in the locker room, every starter on this defense is one good season away from a top 3 round draft pick. We had the worst run of injuries under BV this season and still finished #3 in the nation.

null

Jan 22, 2021, 8:20 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: They're baaaack: Venables returns whole starting defense next season ]

We are seeing the results of the 16 and 17 classes. We had some misses in those classes. But we rebounded in 18, 19, and 20. Watch out for the next 2-3 years.

My go-to plumber failed to fix a leak under the sink twice last year....

Jan 21, 2021, 2:37 PM

.... I’m not letting him come back. Point is, just cause they started last year, doesn’t mean they should start this year. When the D seemed to have gotten worse as the year rolled on ( I don’t have data to back that up, just optics) I wouldn’t be too excited about the same ol plumber coming back to patch that leak.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Jan 21, 2021, 3:08 PM

They’re baaaack. Safety Nolan Turner announced earlier this week that he would return for a final season at Clemson, meaning that defensive coordinator Brent Venables has all 11 starters back on defense next season. Full Story »

Wow...Speaking through Orange Colored Glasses with optimism. It is great that they are a call coming back but across-the-board have to work better as a complete unit. 2021 will still be challenging with CoVid protocols through summer so that is the norm so don’t make the excuse. I’m most worried about LB’s and Secondary. Gotta play smart and tackle.

Jan 21, 2021, 3:08 PM

Wow...Speaking through Orange Colored Glasses with optimism. It is great that they are a call coming back but across-the-board have to work better as a complete unit. 2021 will still be challenging with CoVid protocols through summer so that is the norm so don’t make the excuse. I’m most worried about LB’s and Secondary. Gotta play smart and tackle.

Re: TNET: Wow ...back away from the cliff folks

Jan 21, 2021, 7:53 PM

It will be ok.The coaching staff will work out the kinks. I get it finishing number 4 in the country is a disgrace. Maybe we can get Konig or Steele back to run the d

*Sigh* Effing Transfer Portal says, "Not so fast."

Jan 25, 2021, 6:09 PM

:(

Anybody not named GWPTiger got any REAL information on why Mike Jones, Jr entered his name in the portal?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 24
| visibility 5,468
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic