Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So what's the deal with Millennials ?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

So what's the deal with Millennials ?

Dec 18, 2015, 12:50 PM

Was this the first generation that everyone got a trophy ? They are changing the performance rating system at my company because of them. Seriously has my jimmies rustled.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Their fathers are more like mothers***

Dec 18, 2015, 12:52 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Parents raised them to believe that there was such a thing

Dec 18, 2015, 12:52 PM

as Santa Claus.

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LIES....DAMM LIES!***

Dec 18, 2015, 12:56 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, I'm quickly starting to learn that it could be

Dec 18, 2015, 12:55 PM

the most self-centered generation ever.

I guess it's natural, with most of them viewing blogs/tweets/facebook posts about how great your life is as perfectly normal. The selfie stick is sort of the exclamation point on this theory.

It's more annoying because in the working world, they could have 18 months total working experience, and be with the company a month, and feel like they should have as much input into something as a senior leader.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And to any millennials reading that post.......

Dec 18, 2015, 1:03 PM

I'm just talking about those other ones, not you...you guys are totally cool.

Thought we were internet buds, bruh

Dec 18, 2015, 1:07 PM

From the same home town, like a lot of the same things: boats, cars, etc. Then you go and post something like that.

You got me on the self centered part though.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You should write some poetry about it.

Dec 18, 2015, 1:10 PM

Very cathartic.

No, you're right. Forgive my microaggression.

Dec 18, 2015, 1:27 PM [ in reply to Thought we were internet buds, bruh ]

I value you.

I'll let Swimtiger know when he gets back from his

Dec 18, 2015, 1:08 PM [ in reply to And to any millennials reading that post....... ]

My Little Pony Fan Fiction group meeting.

There's another way to look at that, I guess

Dec 18, 2015, 1:08 PM [ in reply to Yep, I'm quickly starting to learn that it could be ]

Part of it is being self-centered, but it's also a belief that things ought to be changed and that they can be easily changed. In a way, that's actually the opposite of being self-centered: a lot of Millennials are driven by the idea that they can and should effect social change, which is an outward focus rather then the "navel gazing" they're so often accused of.

But, unfortunately, since they (speaking as a 30 year old, I should say "we," I guess) were raised in the 80s and 90s when everything was about being an individual and choosing your own path, a lot of the social change they're fighting for is just about making people feel nice about whatever it is they choose to do. If somebody ever feels bad about the choices they've made or about the identity they've carved for themselves, then they believe that everybody else should reorganize and reassess things to accommodate that person's feelings. They also don't seem to think that reorganization and reassessment is difficult and that it might have unintended consequences. Maybe that's because, raised with individualism, they think traditions only have value if they've ratified them first.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

thoughtful post, as always.

Dec 18, 2015, 2:00 PM

But as a flip side to your flip side, I think there's a certain amount of hubris involved in how they want to change things, because a big part of "knowing how the world ought to work" requires being cocky enough to assume you have all the answers. This also means that if you're that cocky about being right, it also gives you a license to mentally dismiss, even vilify, those who think differently. It's a big part of why in a lot of social causes these days, if you disagree with someone, you're labeled a bigot, racist, or some other label----there are no gray areas to them.

(note that I'm not laying this all at Millennial's feet---it's been brewing for decades)

Absolutely

Dec 18, 2015, 2:49 PM

This generation, I think, has the same "progress is inevitable, and I should determine the direction of progress" attitude that the boomers of the 60's had. But their education and upbringing has taught them that our problems are all really self-created and socially constructed, and therefore they can be fixed through a realignment of society. That's why- and I think you were sort of pointing in this direction- a lot of what you see looks like some sort of cultural therapy session where everybody claiming hardship has to be made to feel affirmed and made to feel normal, while those who have a different view have to be pathologized (as bigots or "-phobes"). We can't admit that some problems have their roots in human nature, because that would mean that we can't just choose everything about ourselves, and then that we don't actually have a right to always do whatever we #### well please.

This mentality also affect the kinds of problems this generation has focused on. These problems aren't close to as serious as the problems of the 60's (institutional racial segregation vs. microaggressions, "marriage equality"/ gender neutrality, and economic inequality; being drafted into Vietnam vs. college loan forgiveness; the Vietnam War vs. Islamophobia; explicit barriers for women to enter the workforce vs. the pay gap; etc.).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wouldn't the same argument apply for the 60s?

Dec 18, 2015, 4:02 PM

"These problems aren't close to as serious as the problems of the 20s (depression and WW2 as well as diseases vs. social issues of the 60s.)

I think the argument is that these issues are a continued progress of the creation of America and thus are a normal function of the American "Youth" to continue such progress. On the flip side, you have those that wish to remain in status quo and fight against this progress--20s you had prohibition and isolationists; 60s you had the pro-segregationists; today you have those again marriage equality, etc.

So nothing today is happening that hasn't been going on since the birth of America and it surprises me when people argue like it's a new phenomenon. Only the issues themselves change, but the need to "progress" socially has been going on for generations and is part of the fabric of being America.

Now, the issues do seem to be getting smaller and smaller in size and scope so I do wonder at what point it can continue or to what the mentality will be siphoned into next.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To an extent, I agree you're right.....what I'm seeing

Dec 18, 2015, 4:31 PM

that's different though is the complete and total vilification of those who think differently than you. It's like geech used to be a parody of the political process, now he's the rule.

As recently as the Clinton years and before, if people had different social, cultural, or political views than someone else, that person would generally shake their head and just think that person was misled, or at worst, a well-meaning moron. The key word there though is "well-meaning"----we recognized that despite our differences, we were generally all good people.

Not anymore....It's almost impossible to see those types of disagreements anymore without one side taking the stance that the other side has an opposing view because they're dishonest, hateful, or outright evil.

It really and truly ratcheted up a notch with W, and I don't think it's so much a reflection of him or his policies as it is him being the first President surrounded by widespread Internet availability for anyone to say what's on their mind, unfiltered and anonymously. I think over time, those exceptions became the rule for how we coexist today.

I think it's just "heard" more now.

Dec 18, 2015, 5:07 PM

as you brought up, the internet has changed discourse for better or worse. We have access to every opinion on every issue. And everyone has the ability to speak to a wide audience through social media or message boards. This makes me think it's not so much that things are different in how people think, but that now we have more access to all people and all opinions. Again, this is both a positive and a minus.

As for actual discourse, I'm not sure things are really different. As an example, look at the P&R board. It's much more tame now than under dubya. It's still got its extremists like Cdef/geech but the amount of craziness has diminished immensely over the last 8 years.

I actually think the problem is becoming that people are becoming apathetic to politics and democracy. We have all lost faith in our government and its leadership and we are starting to just not care. This is dangerous because it allows for the more extremes to gain more and more power and ultimately has led to guys like Trump who are all extreme, all the time. (I still hold out hope that people are just enjoying Trump from a entertainment standpoint and propping him up ironically to point to how long our election process has become).

i agree with most of this

Dec 18, 2015, 1:29 PM [ in reply to Yep, I'm quickly starting to learn that it could be ]

except the senior leadership thing.

they shouldn't have as much influence, but the senior leadership needs to recognize that there are ideas floating around the company to help that don't always come from the top.

we have a senior leader who still things the yellow pages is advertising money well spent.

i am 33 and don't identify as a millennial even though i am on the cusp of it. we did get participant trophies in t ball in 1987 but nobody liked those, they wanted the real one that was bigger and shinier and said champion.

Nah, I didn't mean senior leaders always had better ideas,

Dec 18, 2015, 1:31 PM

although it probably came out that way. I mean that they seem to be astonished, almost insulted, when their opinions don't get equal weight or overruled by someone in a hierarchy structure. They don't tend to do well with chain of command type enviroments.

Not saying good or bad, just what I've seen.

Ever interview any of them?

Dec 18, 2015, 1:42 PM

It's...enlightening.

Because they are young they are light on experience, which is fine. Everyone has to start somewhere. But normally, you start at the bottom and work your way up. But there are some things, no matter how smart someone is, that are only learned through experience.

The majority I have spoken to seem to think they are like Mark Zuckerburg, and should be appointed CEO on their 3rd day of work.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've never had someone late to an interview,

Dec 18, 2015, 1:53 PM

until about 5 years ago. Now it seems to happen on 25% of them.

We had a dude a couple years ago show up in shorts and T for

Dec 18, 2015, 1:55 PM

an office job interview. I don't even know if we gave him an application to fill out.

#ACCFTS

that makes more sense

Dec 18, 2015, 3:00 PM [ in reply to Nah, I didn't mean senior leaders always had better ideas, ]

our millennial at the office doesn't buy into the "i'm the boss and i said so"

Don't you think that's funny?

Dec 19, 2015, 2:57 PM

I think it's funny when someone deaf is standing on a railroad track and resist me trying to drag them out of the way of what's coming.

You guys are at the in-between stage where you think you're expected to help those of the obstinate age. You'll grow out of it someday. Send the morons an email and forget it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

have you seen the "self-help"section at Barnes&Noble lately?

Dec 18, 2015, 1:07 PM

it practically needs its own store.

It's a mental ward out there.

^^^ clearly not a millinnial ^^^

Dec 18, 2015, 2:54 PM

Because you've been in a bookstore.

But seriously, I don't think there's every been a generation of young people that had less serious problems to deal with, and yet I bet there's also never been a generation with as many cases of anxiety and depression. Maybe that's because of how important the way people feel about things has been made, and the way in which we've been told that the world proceeds from our heads, rather than our understanding being shaped by the world.

Come to think of it, there's a book about that (and I'm linking from B&N, since they actually operate real bookstores): http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-world-beyond-your-head-matthew-b-crawford/1119556239?ean=9780374292980

What's the deal with millennial?

Dec 18, 2015, 1:11 PM

Their Baby Boomer parents who force fed them drugs from the time they were 5 years old. I bet if there was an honest assessment, at least 70% of my generation is on some form of prescription drug. Probably two different ones. It constantly shocks me to hear how much stuff some of these people under 30 are on. Like gotdam, you've got more prescriptions than my 88 year old chain smoking grandma and you're 26 and otherwise healthy.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's usually the richer ones, too

Dec 18, 2015, 2:55 PM

The ones that should have the fewest problems.

"Ya, I get real bad anxiety during exams and stuff"***

Dec 18, 2015, 3:18 PM

I've wondered what would happen once they started working.

Dec 18, 2015, 1:24 PM

I just figured they'd all start their own business selling "consulting services" and slowly just die off.

They'll go down as the "Worst Generation"***

Dec 18, 2015, 3:07 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, no, probably not

Dec 18, 2015, 3:11 PM

Since they'll write their own history. I sort of think all this stuff about sexuality, about which they're crowning themselves as Champions of Civil Rights to rival those of the 60s, will look pretty ridiculous not very long from now. But, if you ask a lot of younger people, they're better than older generations because of their lack of hang-ups.

They weren't beaten enough

Dec 18, 2015, 4:33 PM

if at all!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Corporations are people. So is Soylent Green.

Life and gravity has a was of adjusting attitudes.

Dec 19, 2015, 2:52 PM

Most of us needed a little bich slapping when we were young, it's coming for them too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic