Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
"There'll Be No Sudden Rise For Jones' Fallen Vols(c/p)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

"There'll Be No Sudden Rise For Jones' Fallen Vols(c/p)

Jul 15, 2014, 6:18 PM

26 pm Tuesday, July 15th, 2014
There’ll be no sudden rise for Jones’ fallen Vols

By Mark Bradley

HOOVER, Ala. – Apparently Butch Jones is a persuasive guy. His Tennessee Volunteers compiled what Rivals rated the nation’s No. 5 recruiting class last winter, which is big deal for a once-proud program that has had one winning season — and that only 7-6 — since 2007. Ordinarily you’d look at such a class as a signal that better days are ahead, and they might well be.

Just not yet.

Jones appeared here Tuesday at the elongated SEC Media Days and ramped up the quantity of coach-speak by a hundredfold. He expounded on his team’s slogan — “The power of one” — without managing to make much sense of it. He spoke of “the great team chemistry” of his Vols, which sounded odd, given that these Vols just went 5-7 with five of those losses by two touchdowns or more, and given that Jones noted that his is “the only team in college football having to replace both the offensive and defensive interior lines.”

What Jones didn’t mention was Tennessee’s schedule, which is unmanageable. Phil Steele’s yearbook rates it the second-toughest in the nation, and no wonder: The Vols must play Oklahoma, Georgia, Ole Miss, South Carolina, and Vanderbilt on the road and Utah State, Florida, Alabama and Missouri in Knoxville. If Tennessee goes 3-6 in those games, it will have done pretty darn well.

“We’re still going through the realities of building a college football program,” Jones said. Then: “There’s a difference between earning the right to win and hoping to win.”

Then he mentioned something about “the relevance and the the magnitude of the University of Tennessee,” and once upon a time there was real heft to the Big Orange. Then Philip Fulmer was pushed aside and Lane Kiffin hired and then Derek Dooley and then Jones, and now a mighty program has been reduced to watching the likes of Vandy and Mizzou climb above it in the SEC East.

“It’s only a matter of time,” Jones said, speaking of what he views as brighter tomorrows, and maybe he’s right. But not this year. Not with that schedule.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Butch Davis is a GREAT coach...UT could easily win...

Jul 15, 2014, 6:23 PM

Games against SCAR (beat them last year), UF (lost to Georgia Southern last year), Vandy, Ole Miss, and Utah State.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Butch Davis is a GREAT coach...UT could easily win...

Jul 15, 2014, 6:38 PM

Utah State ? Oh brother. I think UT finishes tied for 2nd in the SEC east ...this year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: Butch Davis is a GREAT coach...UT could easily win...

Jul 15, 2014, 6:55 PM

You guys are crazy UT sucks. NO Qb. Lost their best OT.

They've also got very good RBs and WRs

Jul 15, 2014, 7:34 PM

Not sure losing one player on the OL means their OL will suddenly suck, either. They may not have a very good QB, but it's hard to say they have "no QB" when the guy who started most of last year is back again.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They've also got very good RBs and WRs

Jul 15, 2014, 8:23 PM

> Not sure losing one player on the OL means their OL
> will suddenly suck, either. They may not have a very
> good QB, but it's hard to say they have "no QB" when
> the guy who started most of last year is back again.

They didn't lose one tackle, all 5 starters on the OL graduated or left early.

Re: Butch Davis???? I think u got ur Butches confused*****

Jul 15, 2014, 10:12 PM [ in reply to Butch Davis is a GREAT coach...UT could easily win... ]

Pretty sad for UT to expect to go 3-6 in those games

Jul 15, 2014, 7:15 PM

On the other hand, if I were a UT fan, I'd be pretty disappointed with anything less than wins against Ole Miss, Vandy, Utah State, Florida, and Missouri. That's a 5-4 record which would put them out of the running for anything important, but which I think is very doable for them. If they are playing a little above their heads, they very well could beat South Carolina and Georgia, too.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He'll be gone after 2014

Jul 15, 2014, 7:24 PM

4-8 record.

Re: He'll be gone after 2014

Jul 15, 2014, 7:36 PM

most people thought Dabo would be gone by now after 2010. Strong recruiting changed that. Tennessee's class last year was amazing and this year is shaping up to be better. I think Tennessee will be patient with him. They have to be.

Any school bringing in 35 players should have a decent

Jul 15, 2014, 11:47 PM

recruiting year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He'll be gone after 2014

Jul 16, 2014, 7:48 AM [ in reply to Re: He'll be gone after 2014 ]

I just wish we could have gotten M.North. Must have lost to the highest bidder, there.

This is one of your dumber posts

Jul 15, 2014, 11:39 PM [ in reply to He'll be gone after 2014 ]

People in Knoxville love him. He is killing on the recruiting trail. He inherited a dumpster fire. Sure, UT is going to fire him 2 years in, makes sense.

Vols will surprise this season.

Jul 15, 2014, 7:33 PM

They finish 3rd in the SEC Least behind Mizzou and the coots.

I returned home to TN for about a decade.

Jul 16, 2014, 9:54 AM

The average fan is quite humbled. I really enjoyed shoving it up their [strikethrough]###[/strikethrough] noses.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic