Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anything short of a Natty next year is a disappointment
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Anything short of a Natty next year is a disappointment

Jan 17, 2020, 3:49 PM

LOADED!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Anything short of a Natty any year is a disappointment

Jan 17, 2020, 3:52 PM

THIS is where we are

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty much the truth of it.***

Jan 17, 2020, 6:35 PM

Not for this Tiger fan.. Should be a great year,

Jan 17, 2020, 3:52 PM

but let's check the sense of entitlement. Other teams are good, people get hurt, luck has a role...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

There is no team next year that will have the talent we do

Jan 17, 2020, 3:55 PM

NONE

Your confidence is admirable.***

Jan 17, 2020, 3:57 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There is no team next year that will have the talent we do

Jan 17, 2020, 4:00 PM [ in reply to There is no team next year that will have the talent we do ]

It’s hard to win, even with talent. Also takes some luck.

We don’t have to win them all to be successful.

Jan 17, 2020, 6:39 PM

When we win the right way we can always be pleased with the results...any time you are disgraced by a 14 game season you'd better check your Tiger pulse...Dabo & Brent and company are doing things the right way...I'd rather have the right way and great young men and a 10 win season than a room full of NATTY's and what we saw in the locker room Monday night with LSU!

Jan 17, 2020, 4:04 PM [ in reply to There is no team next year that will have the talent we do ]

We replace 4 of 5 starting offensive linemen. C & depth is a concern.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Therein lies the problem with success ... expectations get

Jan 17, 2020, 3:54 PM

.... totally out of wack.

We will be no more “loaded” next year than we were this year.

Lots of question marks.

good problems to have***

Jan 17, 2020, 3:56 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes ... not complaining. I’ve been around for a long time.

Jan 17, 2020, 3:58 PM

Never, ever had this sort of *problem* in my entire life.

yeah I know :)

Jan 17, 2020, 4:02 PM

but it's kind of nice when finishing second is a disappointment. And for me, disappointing doesn't mean end-of-the-world, pull your-hair-out, gotta have some change.

Best is the Standard is more than a slogan.

Re: Therein lies the problem with success ... expectations get

Jan 17, 2020, 4:06 PM [ in reply to Therein lies the problem with success ... expectations get ]

TLaw and ETN will be better. We do lose Tee but Rodgers, Ross, and the young WRs should be improved. We will be younger on the OL but more talented arguably. We will be much much better at TE. Our D will be better up front but we will have to see how our secondary does and who replaces Simmons. We should be unstoppable on O and I expect TL to be hungry after this L and become the great QB he can become.

No argument from me on the potential ...

Jan 17, 2020, 6:10 PM

... The young WRs will have to progress.
... The new OL will have to grow up quickly
... Bressee et al will have to live up to their reps
... someone needs to adequately fill the Simmons role.
... XT and KJ will need to play like 5-stars

If all this happens ... Wow!

Re: Anything short of a Natty next year is a disappointment

The best that any program in the US can EXPECT is Top Ten. Any higher expectations are irrational. There are too many variables, not only for our team but for every team. Who saw LSU coming at the end of 2018 ??

If your team performs up to their potential, then you have to be happy with the outcome. i understand that we have tremendous potential, but fulfilling potential is the hardest thing in the world of sports.

What starters do we lose?

Jan 17, 2020, 4:02 PM

Tee. Others?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good question but it’s one that doesn’t always matter.

Jan 17, 2020, 4:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Anything short of a Natty next year is a disappointment ]

That’s why preseason polls tend to get turned up on their head by the time it’s all said and done. We were the preseason #1 this year but Burrow and Co kind of shocked everyone. All it takes is for one team to be better than us and I think some are taking for granted how difficult it is to win a national championship.

Let’s be realistic about this thing. We are going to have a great foundation and some studs coming in. The biggest questions we have as far as I’m concerned are can we fill the voids left by Isaiah Simmons and the four Olinemen. I think we will be fine and possibly better on defense but breaking in four new starters on the offensive line may keep us from winning it all. One thing is for sure we will be one of the contenders coming in to the season and that’s exactly where we want to be as a program. Because of the Oline if you handed me a preseason poll I don’t know who I would put at #1 but it wouldn’t be Clemson. A solid and experienced Oline is one of the biggest indicators of offensive success that tends to be overlooked. It’s one of the primary reasons that Tommy Bowden finally lost his job in 2008. It won’t get that bad under Dabo because of the culture but I think you get what I’m saying.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We will be loaded, but my expectations are that we will

Jan 17, 2020, 3:57 PM

have some growing pains. I recall another year, from several years ago that expectations were VERY high going into a season where we had a lot of talent coming back, but had to break in a new offensive line. The year was 2008. We were ranked preseason #9, which back then was cause for real excitement. Needless to say, the season did not meet expectations.

But, we got Coach Dabo Swinney out of it, so I would call it an unprecedented success!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We will be loaded, but my expectations are that we will

Jan 17, 2020, 4:01 PM

To be fair, the O-linemen that we broke in that year didn't have anywhere NEAR the talent our lineman will have next year. Yes, experience certainly counts, but nobody in the ACC (maybe the nation) is gonna be able to stop our running game next season.

Re: Maybe for us......

Jan 17, 2020, 4:00 PM

But Dabo's 5 goals are the goals.

I'm with you.... but we have to be careful about not being entitled.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2020, 4:20 PM

Pump the brakes. Most important unit on any team, O-Line, is losing a ton of talent and experience, and frankly the replacements don't have the feel of being an upgrade. Higgins was a huge security blanket and will be gone, Simmons is irreplaceable...lots of holes to fill.

ETN returning definitely helps, and Galloway being available are two big pluses.

Need a lot of help at DE as well, young guys have step up and re-establish the pass rush.

Losing...

Jan 17, 2020, 4:57 PM

4/5 of the OL, our best WR, our best defensive player, the entire LB corps, both safeties...

Some of y'all don't appreciate what it takes or how hard it is to sustain this success. I'm not saying it can't happen, but even making the playoffs (for a SIXTH straight time) would be quite the accomplishment.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2020, 5:04 PM

Isn’t finishing 1st our goal every year. We are disappointed if don’t win. That is now our standard.

after loving through many painful years

Jan 17, 2020, 6:29 PM

I will enjoy each of these years knowing they won’t last forever.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic