Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This rivalry
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 60
| visibility 1

This rivalry

Nov 19, 2018, 11:44 PM

Dawg and I went to UGA. The tech rivalry is not really a rivalry. They care more about their engineering projects than football, and it pains me to say it but their school is better in a lot of ways academically than UGA. This rivalry we see here between SC and Clemson seems to be on a different level than I’ve seen before. Now do you all really believe that people that went to South Carolina have a worthless degree and work a drive through or is that just “rivalry smack talk”? Would love to know more about this rivalry compared to UGA and Tech.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson/SC is one of the few rivalries in the country

Nov 19, 2018, 11:50 PM

Where the hate is 100% both ways. Both schools are by far the others biggest rival and no other schools hate Clemson like SC does and nobody hates SC like Clemson does.

Honestly the only other ones I can think of are Utah/BYU and Army/Navy

(Alabama has a rivalry with Tennessee as well as with Auburn. In fact I've seen Bama fans say "we hate Auburn cause we have to. We choose to hate Tennessee)

USC has Notre Dams as well as UCLA.

Michigan State hates Michigan as much if not more than Ohio State does.

Florida / Florida State***

Nov 20, 2018, 9:35 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: Florida / Florida State***

Nov 20, 2018, 12:07 PM

You have to add Miami in there, so the FL-FSU rivalry does not compare to ours.

Re: Clemson/SC is one of the few rivalries in the country

Nov 20, 2018, 10:47 AM [ in reply to Clemson/SC is one of the few rivalries in the country ]

LSU and Ole Miss hate each other with a passion. “Go to hell, Ole ####!” is heard on LSU’s campus every gameday from fans regardless of who the team is actually playing. It doesn’t matter that Ole Miss has been irrelevant in football for so long outside of a year here or there. In fact, many Louisianians hate the Mannings because of their Ole Miss ties despite Archie’s sainthood in New Orleans (which is not really part of Louisiana - most of the state looks upon New Orleans as full of weirdos and crime).

ole Miss hates Miss State more for sure***

Nov 21, 2018, 11:43 AM

Just watch LivePD sometime.

Nov 19, 2018, 11:56 PM

and no, a degree from SC isn't worthless, far from it. However, most of the smack talk isn't coming from SC grads, just SC fans.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This rivalry

Nov 19, 2018, 11:56 PM

No. Most of them don’t work at the drive thru...............they get fired on the 2nd day of training.

Maybe this resonates..in 1902 Clemson Cadets affixed bayonets on rifles &

Nov 20, 2018, 12:05 AM

chased SC students & fans from stadium on Fairgrounds back a mile to their campus in Columbia b/4 a pretty female talked them out of bloodshed and the Cadets went back to the Fairgrounds, packed up their tents & took the train back to Clemson.

Problem started when Carolina had a rare 12-6 win.

Oh, the Governor cancelled the contest for next 6 years, thus part of the hate..

as well as Clemson being founded in 1889 by 1 tie-breaking vote cast by Pitchfork Ben Tillman and thus half of the SC student body had to become Clemson students due to A&M studies and SC lost a lot of their $ and clout in the general Assembly.

YeP, the hate goes back a long way and Clemson was forced by politicians to play every game from 1897 to 1959 in Columbia but Tigers still won more games there..

and currently leads the rivalry series by 28 more games!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice, concise history lesson. Knew some, but some were new.***

Nov 20, 2018, 6:13 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 19, 2018, 11:57 PM

Live in S.C. long enough and you will be asked to pick your school even if you did not attend either institution! This is a distinct rivalry for many reasons historically. Google the series and you will only touch the surface of an in-state tradition which is among the three longest in college football.

Clemson had to strictly play in Columbia for more than fifty games and yet we managed to compile a winning record! That just shows the intense nature of the competition.

Go Tigers ??!!

Nov 20, 2018, 12:06 AM

Here’s a small taste of coots being coots. Judge for yourself.

https://youtu.be/o_n0b9Pe_WQ

If only their fans had Jake Bentley strong throwing arms...

Nov 20, 2018, 5:56 AM

Then their bottles could hit our DBs in the hands.

??

~JKB

Nov 20, 2018, 8:25 PM [ in reply to Re: This rivalry ]

Gumby said:

Here’s a small taste of coots being coots. Judge for yourself.

https://youtu.be/o_n0b9Pe_WQ

As for the video....I am lobbying for our team to hold their hands up and walk towards the Clemson students taunting them. I will bet the welcome would be heartwarming.

Don’t think so highly of yourselves.

Nov 20, 2018, 8:30 PM

The pregame walk has absolutely nothing to do with you. You guys can keep your worn out fabricated excuse for being classless. I’ve seen the video many times. Never saw anything that would indicate that our players were coordinating some kind of taunt towards your sorry classless group of fans. The entire country saw it. It was the only highlight you guys had that week.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 21, 2018, 11:41 AM [ in reply to Re: This rivalry ]

Its called the "victory walk". Our team does it every single game, and we have been doing it ever since Dabo became the head coach.

It the 100+ times we have done it, we have never experienced any fans react this way, except for this occasion. Fans acting like this has never happened to us ever before at any other stadium. Ever.

It was just YOUR fans.

Oh, and by the way, it was YOUR UNIVERSITY that told Dabo and his players they had to warm up in the student section endzone.

Idiot.

Everytime I have an out of state client, I buy'em a Clemson

Nov 20, 2018, 7:53 AM [ in reply to Re: This rivalry ]

to get them started out on the right track.

There is an old saying that is 100% accurate...

Nov 20, 2018, 12:04 AM

What do freshmen at u5c and Clemson have in common?

They both got accepted to u5c.

The University of Second Choice will admit literally ANYONE under 80 that hasn't been dead more than four days. The admission requirements are an absolute joke.

The only good thing about a degree from u5c is that is doubles as a handicapped parking placard.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Which does not happen between uga and GT

Nov 20, 2018, 1:15 AM

because GT students don't apply to uga

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There is an old saying that is 100% accurate...

Nov 20, 2018, 7:25 AM [ in reply to There is an old saying that is 100% accurate... ]

True story. Friend in Virginia has a daughter that wanted to go south for college. Applied at Clemson and couldn’t get in. Applied st USuCk and got a $5,000/year academic scholarship.

I only know one person that was accepted to Clemson

Nov 20, 2018, 9:29 AM [ in reply to There is an old saying that is 100% accurate... ]

and went to U5uC. His mom wouldn't let him go to Clemson. She said he'd be too far from home.

Re: I only know one person that was accepted to Clemson

Nov 20, 2018, 9:46 AM

Belk....????

belk is a good example. . got accepted to both and chose

Nov 20, 2018, 10:03 AM

Clemson.

good job, great example.

even more so because like many, he found Clemson was too hard. .

he chose to leave and follow the path more traveled.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

This rivalry is like our national politics

Nov 20, 2018, 12:24 AM

People should behave more civilly than they do.

This rivalry is like our national politics

Nov 20, 2018, 12:24 AM

People should behave more civilly than they do.

You have to have lived in South Carolina to understand

Nov 20, 2018, 5:47 AM

the animosity between the fans...an animosity dating back over a century.

Now, frankly speaking, most of us have family members, neighbors, business associates, club members and close friends associated with the rival schools, and the two universities cooperate in various ventures as do student organizations. Yet, the athletic rivalry is intense, sometimes becoming a subject for sharp words, even fights.

A lot of that has to do with the origins and locations. Clemson was the "upstart," stuck up in the back country, chartered as an agricultural and mechanical arts school. South Carolina, established in 1801, was supposed to be the "coverall," designed to attract one and all. For a long time S.C. was regarded as the school for the state's elite...planters, politicians, attorneys, bankers, etc...while Clemson was for the farmers and lower class. There was a constant battle in our General Assembly for funds for Clemson, a fact made aware to me by Dr. Robert C. Edwards, a legendary former President.

Yet, Clemson's athletic programs, especially football, generally have been better...and that rubs raw nerves with S.C. fans. At times we have been envious of their basketball and baseball programs.

There is an old saying about the state of North Carolina...that it is a valley of humility between two mountains of conceit...i.e. the states of South Carolina and Virginia. I sometimes have wondered if our overabundance of conceit has lent itself to our rivalry, thus making it worthy of greater national attention! lol

Re: You have to have lived in South Carolina to understand

Nov 20, 2018, 7:36 AM

There is an old saying about the state of North Carolina...that it is a valley of humility between two mountains of conceit...i.e. the states of South Carolina and Virginia.

Quote from Thad Eure, NC Sec of State and owner of the Angus Barn (among other restaurants in NC).

Nov 20, 2018, 7:40 PM

FWIW...

The original quote was from Mary Oates Spratt Van Landingham and she said, "Where there are mountains of conceit, there are apt to be valleys of humility"

Of course, this was in reference to SC and VA, so the point remains true.

Nov 20, 2018, 10:55 PM [ in reply to Re: You have to have lived in South Carolina to understand ]

This was said long before Mr. Eure. I have had dinner with his daughter at The Barn on a couple of occasions.

Vale of Humility between Two Mountains of Conceit" is a phrase describing North Carolina that originated from a speech given by Mary Oates Spratt Van Landingham on 6 Mar. 1900. That day, she spoke on the "native literature" of North Carolina before the Mecklenburg Historical Society in Charlotte. Referencing North Carolina's location between South Carolina and Virginia, Van Landingham said, "Where there are mountains of conceit, there are apt to be valleys of humility." The term has remained a source of tongue-in-cheek pride for North Carolinians.

There is only one reason this is a rivalry at all

Nov 20, 2018, 7:01 AM

Their deadbeat, classless, completely delusional fanbase. In the field, its not a rivalry at all and never has been. Check the record books. Their program has never been relevant on the national stage. Their trophy case is as empty as bernie sanders head.

Nov 20, 2018, 7:35 AM

I think a lot of Clemson fans have unfortunately convinced themselves of some absurd 'facts'

Maybe it's because we lose a lot more often, but they take this rivalry a lot more seriously than the Gamecock fans.

Message was edited by: Classof09®

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Nov 20, 2018, 7:38 AM

Nov 20, 2018, 7:44 AM [ in reply to Re: This rivalry ]

hmmm.. you don't say. I've been a clemson fan since 91

Nov 20, 2018, 8:18 AM [ in reply to Re: This rivalry ]

I dont recall clemson fans making any fear the thumb videos in 92, 01, or 06

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Nov 20, 2018, 8:21 AM [ in reply to Re: This rivalry ]

Screw Calford.

Nov 20, 2018, 8:41 AM [ in reply to Re: This rivalry ]

"Maybe it's because we lose a lot more often, but they take this rivalry a lot more seriously than the Gamecock fans."

I've read that book, it's called "what losers tend to say".

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They don't take it seriously at all

Nov 20, 2018, 8:47 AM [ in reply to Re: This rivalry ]

says a gamecock fan on a Clemson message board...(that has been around a long time). No they don't care at all.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 20, 2018, 9:17 AM [ in reply to Re: This rivalry ]

I agree that Clemson fans take it more seriously than those of USuC, because we are not sure who they are. On the rare occasions when the Coots are winning, they come out of the woodworks. On normal occasions, it is a lot harder to find them. For the most part those of us who pull for Clemson wear Orange win or lose.

Nov 20, 2018, 12:31 PM

I have noticed a lot of coots in Gaffney when I have to be up there, it’s actually stunning how many there are. I tend to just observe them in they’re natural habitat, watch them interact with one another. They are some odd birds man. Friggin jabroni’s

Whatever helps you sleep at night princess !!!

Nov 20, 2018, 9:51 AM [ in reply to Re: This rivalry ]

It couldn't possibly be that Clemson is simply better both athletically and academically.

Please don't let facts get in the way while you try to alleviate that HUGE Clemson inferiority complex.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I don't find this to be true at all. The USC fans hate us

Nov 20, 2018, 9:55 AM [ in reply to Re: This rivalry ]

much more than we hate them. I think it has something to do with the lopsided overall record and the fact that we are considered an elite program nationally now. It makes perfect sense to me.

I feel sorry for the gamecocks sometimes (that is until I read the posts of FGF or see them chiming in on Reddit)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We take it too seriously? You're an obsessed loser who lives

Nov 20, 2018, 11:50 AM [ in reply to Re: This rivalry ]

on your rival's board, but WE take it too seriously?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Simple distinction: USC HOPES to win, Clemson EXPECTS to win

Nov 20, 2018, 8:10 PM [ in reply to Re: This rivalry ]

that is the difference in the two programs and fanbases, in a nutshell.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 20, 2018, 9:22 PM [ in reply to Re: This rivalry ]

The Clemson game has always been your Super Bowl, and always will be. Your team will never amount to anything other than an also-ran in the SEC and a pushover on the national stage. The SCU game is important because of the rivalry, but for us it's a stepping stone to a bigger prize. One that we've won twice and have our eyes on at least one more.

Slink back to FGF where you belong.

SCAR is a backup school. .this is known

Nov 20, 2018, 7:44 AM

it is inferior in every way..except international business. they dominate the other 6 schools who offer that major.

Re: SCAR is a backup school. .this is known

Nov 20, 2018, 8:25 AM

You bring up an interesting point. My work takes me to Europe a lot. Not once have I run into any U5C grads overseas. Never. Conversely, I have run into many Clemson grads in places like London, Geneva, Paris and Basel. I guess they hire the locals to spray for bugs and clean the bathrooms.

Screw Calford.

Ran into some Coots

Nov 20, 2018, 8:33 PM

On the top of the Eiffel Tower...Disgusting...I was wearing my orange and that had Usuck stuff on...

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: SCAR is a backup school. .this is known

Nov 20, 2018, 8:49 AM [ in reply to SCAR is a backup school. .this is known ]

The reason they do is by offering cheaper tuition, and having the highest acceptance rate of any business school in the country.

still..being the best outta 6 is a big accomplishment

Nov 20, 2018, 9:14 AM

for SCAR

Yet they have the audacity to run onto our field with the SC

Nov 20, 2018, 9:31 AM [ in reply to SCAR is a backup school. .this is known ]

flag.

Nov 20, 2018, 7:51 AM

Definitely rivalry talk. I know plenty of friends with great degrees and amazing jobs....engineering, medical.....all kinds. Still fun to poke fun tho. I have a good friend at work of 17 years that’s a huge coot fan and we always say that talking trash is half the fun. This game is huge and has always been in this state. GO TIGERS!!!!

Nov 20, 2018, 8:05 AM

You can call it rival smack talk...but my experience is that it's actually true. I grew up in the Charleston SC area where there are a lot of gamecocks. From my high school, myself and only about 3 of my good friends went to Clemson, all of whom are now doing very well professionally. I had quite a few friends who scored below 1000 on the SAT and were gladly accepted into SCU, even though they couldn't get in anywhere else. Only one of them actually graduated and has been mildly successful (that's being very generous).

This is one person's experience, but in my world, it sure seems to be the norm.

Nov 20, 2018, 8:48 AM

I'll just put it this way:

Clemson is highly selective. Very, selective. To the point that getting into Clemson is almost as difficult as getting into schools like UNC, UVA, GT, etc. Its a top 20 institution now, for a reason.

As for South Carolina, they give honor school scholarships to kids that never even applied.

When I was at Clemson, all the freshman had a tradition of hanging their USC acceptance letters in their dorms as a joke. I know of about 30-40 people I went to Clemson with, including 2 of my cousins, who received acceptance letters and scholarships from USC (including scholarships to their honors college) despite the fact they never even applied to the school. USC only does this for kids who are from South Carolina though.

Dont get me wrong, there is merit in pursuing a college degree, and USC provides a good education. Far be it from me to condemn anyone that pursues a degree, any pursuit of education is worthwhile.

But, there absolutely are differences in quality, and it is a demonstrable fact that Clemson is just a better school.

while it's true USC provides a good education, I dont

Nov 20, 2018, 9:28 AM

see how California has any impact on the Clemson vs Scar rivalry.

Nope it's Just a Hatefest....Frankly UGA has more Rival

Nov 20, 2018, 9:31 AM

potential for Clemson than USUCK. I am embarrassed to claim them as a rival. Any FBS team that loses to The Citadel FOREVER loses any Rival status.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 20, 2018, 10:05 AM

My experience has been a little different from most on here. We live near Columbia so most friends/neighbors are SC fans. They are OBSESSED with Clemson's success in football....in a bad way. Let one little blip in the news come out that may reflect negatively on Clemson and they are waiting at my desk or mailbox to bring it up. They relish in their own hate of my team and want my hatred in return. So....I deny them that. Apathy is what they get from me. And they HATE me more for it! I simply remind them we are too busy actually PLAYING and WINNING our schedule to concern ourselves with some middling team on our schedule in late Nov. "Don't know who y'all played this week, don't know who y'all will play next weekend. Don't care. I'll turn my attention to your lackluster team the week of Thanksgiving and be thankful I am on the side I am on and have the coach that I have."

Now having said all that, both schools do fine academically depending on your major. Clemson is better at engineering, SC has a renown business school. Good. Good for them. Glad they make SOME use of my tax money....it sure doesn't go into football program or the stadium. My daughter has not been accepted into Clemson yet. It brings her to tears. She swears that she will marry Will Swinney. Well, she will have to do it from Anderson University or Wofford or the Bridge program. She is a brilliant student - top 10 in class, 4.5 GPA etc - she just can't quite SAT or ACT where Clemson wants it. But she refuses to apply to SC. Instead ole mom & dad here are going to drop some lofty coin at Wofford or College of Charleston or Anderson. :(

top 10 at what school?

Nov 20, 2018, 12:02 PM

if you're top 10 at a school like Dormin, I think you are autoaccepted.

Nov 21, 2018, 10:34 AM [ in reply to Re: This rivalry ]

Anderson University is a good school. My son goes there. He was going to transfer to Clemson, but fell in love with the school and stayed.

Nov 20, 2018, 8:39 PM

My regular Domino's delivery guy Ted actually has an MBA from SCU-Cooterville. He's a good guy and I hope his next trip to rehab is finally successful.

Nov 21, 2018, 3:32 AM

An Oogly fan talking about our rivalry. Well I did not care for Oogly in the eighties either. The only reason I do not dislike them as much as the Coots is the state line.

Nov 21, 2018, 6:52 AM

"Dawg and I went to UGA. The tech rivalry is not really a rivalry."

Care to explain "rivalry" a little better. If a team beats you 2 out of the previous 4 meetings, I think that is somewhat competitive. I realize that you and GT had longer win streaks years ago, but you might be living in the past like USUC fans.

Considering that UGA was curb-stomped by the ONLY team they played with a pulse, I'm not so sure that GT won't give your D fits. And your bigger problem is the injuries you will have due to cut-blocking prior to playing Bama. If you lose even one player to injury, then your chances to beat Bama are ZERO. UGA is just not all that good IMO. Even SuperMutt finally figured that out on 10/13.

Replies: 60
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic