Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So Louisville Beats No.3 Florida in the Sugar Bowl
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

So Louisville Beats No.3 Florida in the Sugar Bowl

Mar 18, 2013, 3:01 PM

after winning the Big East and is set to go to 80,000 seats in their 55,000 seat stadium. They are now the No. 1 overall seed in the NCAA Tournament after winning the Big East consistently packing out the 2nd largest Basketball arena in the ACC (larger than the dean dome)(2nd only bc Cuse plays BBall in their Football Stadium). All the while Maryland is 4-8 in football can't half fill their 54,000 seat stadium. They went 8-10 in the ACC in basketball missing the NCAA tournaments and can't half fill the Comcast center. Maryland is cutting sports because of an AD in debt crisis while Louisville has the second highest budget in the ACC when they come in. Doing all this with Big East TV revenue.

Is their anyone still out there who thinks the ACC did not significantly improve its conference and ability to generate TV revenue in this deal. The ACC is the only Conference that has lost a school during expansion that would jump at the chance for this scenario to happen all over again. I mean the only way it could have worked out better is for Wake Forest to have left.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Re: So Louisville Beats No.3 Florida in the Sugar Bowl

Mar 18, 2013, 3:03 PM

Nope

Unless you're one of the "academics matter" people that we kept hearing about. I'm still not sure where that argument comes from.

Message was edited by: sportsfanatik®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

everybody loves this....

except for Brad Brownell.......he'd like to have Maryland back... :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Doesn't Louisville have some serious benefactors

contributing to that?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Papa Johns and KFC Yum come to mind***

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Louisville Slugger********

Mar 18, 2013, 4:28 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Re: Papa Johns and KFC Yum come to mind***

Mar 18, 2013, 3:12 PM

Yum foods = kfc taco bell pizza hut. Tons of money.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yep and HQ right there in Louisville***

Mar 18, 2013, 3:13 PM

There is a hole in the contiguousness of the

Mar 18, 2013, 3:17 PM

conference now, not to mention the fact that the D.C.-Baltimore and state of Maryland markets fell through that hole.

I have not see that Louisville is expanding to 80,000. I'm not sure if that is accurate. Perhaps you could provide a source or link to that claim.

I didn't mean they were were breaking ground. But the stadiu

Mar 18, 2013, 3:29 PM

m was build with a master plan to go to 80,000 they recently added about 10,000 seats and are continually doing work to get there. the state of Maryland has 5,884,563 and Kentucky has 4,380,415. A difference but not a huge difference. Not to mention the city Bookends Indiana 6,537,334 which will help lock down that state along with ND BBall for TV. The ACC now has another ACC SEC football Rivailry as well as an in State rival with Kentucky's storied program and and in state team with Indianas storied Team, again bookended by Louisville.

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

VT/UVa are much more popular in DC

Mar 18, 2013, 3:46 PM [ in reply to There is a hole in the contiguousness of the ]

than Maryland is. My guess is they'll still be showing ACC games in the DC area even after Maryland leaves.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I live in DC and don't agree with that. You can ride the

Mar 18, 2013, 11:58 PM

DC metro subway to the University of Maryland (< 9 miles from downtown).

Charlottesville is about 120 miles, and Blacksburg is 270 miles.

Plus, the University of Maryland is a bigger school with 38,000 students.

UVa has 21,000, VT 28,000.

Don't get me wrong, UVa and VT have a large presence in DC, but I'd rank them:

1. Maryland
2. VT
3. UVa

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Va Tech and UVA cover the DC market quite nicely

Mar 18, 2013, 3:57 PM [ in reply to There is a hole in the contiguousness of the ]

Baltimore is the big loss in markets....Pittsburgh picks up some of wewtern maryland and the areas that border Pa.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Mar 18, 2013, 3:18 PM

Agree completely except, why slam WF. They have overall been a good program and very supportive. One of our best rivialrys was between Frank Howard and Pea-Head Walker.

I just meant financially and media market wise.

I don't want them to go anywhere.

Is there anyone who wouldn't trade Louisville for MD in a

Mar 18, 2013, 3:18 PM

heartbeat?

I was shocked when MD announced they were leaving only because I couldn't understand what leverage they had--what does MD bring to the table other than "the DC TV market" (which I think people overestimates MD's TV pull)?

There fans must watch on TV as they're not in the stands!

Mar 18, 2013, 3:24 PM

Maybe that is how you build a TV market....stay home.

Re: There fans must watch on TV as they're not in the stands!

Mar 18, 2013, 3:26 PM

There or their.....both will do in this case.

Good post...not sure about that 80K expansion tho...

I could not see UofL (as they are referred to in KY) expanding anymore than they recently did (was at 42,000 until 2011). I could not see them finding an additional 25,000 fans to fill that stadium on weekly basis.

If I remember correctly, they struggled to fill the seats this past year. UK game may have been the only sellout. There was an article in the paper here in KY after their senior day and the lack of attendance. Some of this was probably due to weather and lack of a good opponent (UCONN.

Tom Jurich is a visonary AD, but moving to 80,000 would not make sense to me.

Re: Good post...not sure about that 80K expansion tho...

Mar 18, 2013, 7:12 PM

The quality of their opponent should increase in the ACC which would help with attendance. probably not enough to push the stadium to 80k, but help with their current size.

All they have to do is win.

Mar 19, 2013, 9:28 AM [ in reply to Good post...not sure about that 80K expansion tho... ]

Attendance will take care of itself. Remember, this is the town that draws 40,000 for the Trinity/St. X high school game every year, because they are winners. If U of L wins and plays quality opponents like Clemson and FSU at home, they will fill any stadium.

They will fill the stadium when FSU and Clemson come...

Mar 25, 2013, 7:34 AM

But I do not see them selling out enough to warrant a 25,000 seat expansion.

Mar 18, 2013, 3:33 PM

Agreed Louisville is my second team due to my Wife being from there.

I was very excited when they were invited to the conference. I did not want them to be the one left in the Big East.

I went to a game in the YUM Center 2 Thanksgivings ago. It is an INCREDIBLE facility. Bar that overlooks the court and Screens in the 4 corners.

Yes they serve alcohol there.

null

to be fair to Maryland, their football attendance...

Mar 18, 2013, 3:44 PM

isn't as bad as you say. They've averaged about 40,000 for each game in the last three years, despite sucking.

They may havre averaged 40,000 tickets sold but...

Mar 18, 2013, 4:10 PM

I have serious doubts there was actually an average of 40,000 fannies in the seats.

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

they didn't "struggle to fill half the stadium," though

Mar 18, 2013, 4:23 PM

the point still remains that UofL is an improvement over Maryland

Re: they didn't "struggle to fill half the stadium," though

Mar 18, 2013, 4:32 PM

Louisville has a great Football and Basketball COACH. That is what is driving their ship right now.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That can be said of any team

Mar 18, 2013, 5:20 PM

You don't have a good coach you will suck

Re: they didn't "struggle to fill half the stadium," though

Mar 18, 2013, 5:21 PM [ in reply to Re: they didn't "struggle to fill half the stadium," though ]

Well their Basketball coach is amazing and it helps that he has a massive recruiting tool in probably the nicest arena in the nation.

null

I agree that U of L is an improvement over Maryland***

Mar 18, 2013, 5:32 PM [ in reply to they didn't "struggle to fill half the stadium," though ]

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Maryland has the most ugly girls

Mar 18, 2013, 5:45 PM

The University of Maryland has the most ugly girls

ACC trash in the Big Ten's treasure***

Mar 18, 2013, 5:47 PM

Really good post. Except for people that hate facts and

Mar 18, 2013, 6:39 PM

real examples.

Kudos!

I believe Louisville will be a great addition, and their

Mar 18, 2013, 6:49 PM

fans certainly have expressed excitement and support for the ACC. I was, also, highly impressed with Coach Strong's decision to remain with the school, and who can forget their trashing of Florida in the Sugar Bowl?

This is exactly the type of excitement along with big wins that the ACC needs, and I'd certainly like to see it from other members.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic