Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So, I just did the math
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

So, I just did the math

Jun 25, 2014, 4:27 PM

When I graduated Clemson in 1993 tuition (if I remember right) was about $2,000 a semester and I had $11,000 in student loans to pay back. That's $18,000 in today's money. Today, for an instate student it's about $6,500 tuition and $15,000 for out of state. For an instate student that's $52,000 in tuition and does not include room and board. (Of course we all know that alcohol is their biggest expense.)

I'm glad I graduated in 1993 and not 2018.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have a daughter who is Junior at Clemson....

Jun 25, 2014, 4:33 PM

and I can tell you from direct first hand experience writing the checks, tuition, room and board runs right at $24,000 per year or about $12,000 per semester for in-state students, and no...I will not post a pic. ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Pics of hawt junior daughter?***

Jun 25, 2014, 4:34 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

Here ya go

Jun 25, 2014, 4:39 PM

She's the second one down

Forgot the link

http://www.chilloutpoint.com/funny/the-ugliest-cheerleaders-show-top-15.html

Have you been to bOb's c/p class yet?

Jun 25, 2014, 4:41 PM

It should have been in the tnet orientation package

I'm not a donor. Haven't rejoined yet.***

Jun 25, 2014, 4:43 PM

That's ok, bOb and lbu don't discriminate***

Jun 25, 2014, 4:48 PM

Oh lawd !!!!***

Jun 25, 2014, 4:41 PM [ in reply to Forgot the link ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So, Big CU ' s daughter is JohnF.Bell?***

Jun 25, 2014, 4:40 PM [ in reply to Here ya go ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^My above post was almost funny till all the replies, now

Jun 25, 2014, 4:51 PM

it just makes no sense^^^:(

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ^^^My above post was almost funny till all the replies, now

Jun 25, 2014, 4:53 PM

It makes no cents, moran. At least not enough to pay for tuition.

If it don't make dollaz then it don't make sents. .......

Jun 25, 2014, 5:18 PM

Sir! Lol+1

Re: I have a daughter who is Junior at Clemson....

Jun 25, 2014, 4:35 PM [ in reply to I have a daughter who is Junior at Clemson.... ]

I was just about to ask till I read the end of the post...

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been to the puppet show and I've seen the strings.

;)

But he just said "pic" singular,

Jun 25, 2014, 4:39 PM [ in reply to Re: I have a daughter who is Junior at Clemson.... ]

I asked for multiple pics. Gotta know where loop holes are

You should have been at CU in the 60's..........

Jun 25, 2014, 4:35 PM

Cost us $10 a year to attend.

Most of us had to declare bankruptcy as a result. lol

Message was edited by: hartins®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You should have been at CU in the 60's..........yeah but

every class was an uphill walk to get to- both ways I'll bet. :)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL.....The whole college experience was uphill......***

Jun 25, 2014, 4:42 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You should have been at CU in the 60's..........yeah but

Jun 25, 2014, 4:47 PM [ in reply to Re: You should have been at CU in the 60's..........yeah but ]

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=15482305

If memory serves....

Jun 25, 2014, 4:51 PM [ in reply to You should have been at CU in the 60's.......... ]

I believe the tuition at Clemson in 1981 (my Freshman year) was $365. A room in the Tin Cans and a seven day meal plan was another $835 for a total of $1,200 per semester.

My freshman year (1977) I wrote a check for tution,

Jun 25, 2014, 5:17 PM

five day meal plan, and a room in E section of Johnstone for the fall semester that totaled $957. That was everything except for my first semester books.

I paid my way through school, so I kept that first cancelled check for years.

I was able to work enough during the school year and over each summer to graduate without any student loans. That would be impossible today.

Re: My freshman year (1977) I wrote a check for tution,

Jun 25, 2014, 6:16 PM

> five day meal plan, and a room in E section of
> Johnstone for the fall semester that totaled $957.
> That was everything except for my first semester
> books.
>
> I paid my way through school, so I kept that first
> cancelled check for years.
>
> I was able to work enough during the school year and
> over each summer to graduate without any student
> loans. That would be impossible today.

Oh it's possible, it's just unlikely to be legal.

Re: So, I just did the math

Jun 25, 2014, 4:45 PM

If my memory still serves me when I started Clemson in 1959, Class of '63, I paid about $5,500.00 for the whole 4 years. That included tuition, room and board.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 25, 2014, 4:56 PM

Class of 60... I believe my room/board/tuition was $1100/yr.

Jun 25, 2014, 4:50 PM

So that means that FB players get 52K plus room and board plus, training for a professional career in sports.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 25, 2014, 4:54 PM

Plus the opportunity to make social connections that many likely never would if they stayed at home.

Think about it, even if you don't go to the NFL and get a very basic degree, being a division 1 football player gives you some connections and opportunities.

Then you will love this

Jun 25, 2014, 5:30 PM

My first year in Aug 1970, tuition and R&B was 675.00 per semester. Lived in tin cans for two years before I moved off campus.

Well you can blame the government for that...

Jun 25, 2014, 5:38 PM

The more student loans are available and the more lottery money that is available, then the more every university can raise tuition because the money is there. People will pay.

I say this as a parent of an incoming freshman.

Re: Well you can blame the government for that...

Jun 25, 2014, 6:57 PM

Man, I don't have enough time to type all my thoughts about this topic. Basically, tuition being outrageously high is a result of easy credit to pay for tuition. Just go look at the housing market from 2002-2007 and you will see how prices can go sky high when borrowing is unlimited and unchecked. All that easy credit created huge demand which created insane price increases in real estate. But that train ran off the tracks once the credit dried up.

Student loans are just like mortgages of 10 years ago. Anyone can get a student loan and there is no check on one's ability to pay it back. If you want to go to a $40,000 a year private school and study art history, you can get a $160,000 loan for that......good luck paying it back with that degree.

What's different AND WORSE about student loans is that you can't just quit paying like a mortgage, our federal government gurantees these student loans......you WILL pay it back. The government will take it out of your paycheck or withhold it from your tax return and you cannot get rid of the debt by filing bankruptcy.

The government is making 8% on the their student debt. It's a huge money making scam our government is perpetrating on our most promising generation. How can our economy grow if our highest potential earners are saddled with student loans?

The housing bubble popped when Wall Street was no longer able to sell those crappy mortgages to investors. Our government creates money and therefore student loans out of nothing, so the supply of money for the loans is unlimited. It will literally take an act of Congress for this to get fixed and college tuition costs to come back to reality.

Oh, and when the tuition costs eventually do fall you will see much wailing and gnashing of teeth at colleges across the country. It's gonna be ugly when kids can no longer get loans and there are less students. Lots of schools will just close their doors.....schools have accumulated debt too trying to keep up with the Joneses.

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic