Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Does a NLI carry any weight anymore?....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1,657

Does a NLI carry any weight anymore?....

Dec 18, 2019, 9:52 PM

I mean after the advent of the Transfer Portal, I don’t see that the kid’s signature means much. Wasn’t there a kid recently who signed with a team and then entered the portal before ever playing his first game. It seems like just because you sign a kid doesn’t mean you will keep him.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Transfer Portal's made any "commitment" worthless.***

Dec 18, 2019, 10:00 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Does a NLI carry any weight anymore?....

Dec 18, 2019, 10:05 PM

More than you would think but, the transfer portal took away a lot of the signing strength!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The transfer portal is only a weapon IF

Dec 18, 2019, 10:08 PM

you are a GRADUATE

Otherwise you sit a year

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Re: The transfer portal is only a weapon IF

Dec 18, 2019, 10:17 PM

Not true. Fields at OSU is just one example. We also had that one DL 2 years ago that enrolled at Clemson in January went through spring practice then transferred to USuC and played right away.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The exceptions rather than the rule

Dec 18, 2019, 10:20 PM

JF made up a load of horseshyatt and the NCAA bowed down

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

The NCAA got way too lenient with the transfer requirements

Dec 18, 2019, 11:24 PM [ in reply to Re: The transfer portal is only a weapon IF ]

I think that after they granted the first non-deserving waiver, they just kept going and it snowballed. It's going to get stricter again because nearly every coach complained about it. The actual list of qualifying conditions is pretty specific (move close to home for self/family health reasons, etc.) and none of the high profile guys fell under them.

Bullsnot

Dec 19, 2019, 8:08 AM [ in reply to Re: The transfer portal is only a weapon IF ]

Fields and belk lawyered up.

They are the exception, not the rule.

100s of kids transfer every year and sit.

The only thing new about the portal is visibility and the coach can no longer dictate where the kid transfers. Other than that , transfer rules have not changed much in decades.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: The transfer portal is only a weapon IF

Dec 19, 2019, 8:10 AM [ in reply to The transfer portal is only a weapon IF ]

I thought they could play immediately if the new school offers a major not provided by the current school.

Yes, it is a contract. The rule changes don't affect it.

Dec 18, 2019, 11:17 PM

The NLI is a binding contract, in which a recruit agrees to attend the school for one year in exchange for financial aid for that year. With the 2018 rules changes, players can seek to transfer and don't need permission from their current institution about where they can go. They can then appeal to the NCAA to waive the year-in-residence requirement and get immediate eligibility as so many successfully did this year (that rule basically didn't change, but the NCAA got very lenient this year).

However, the agreement/contract among NLI schools (basically all Div I except service academies) is that they will not give a scholarship to a player who is still under the one-year obligation to another school. If the previous school refuses to release a player from the NLI, he can still transfer and appeal for immediate eligibility, but he can't receive a scholarship. So far, schools have been granting releases.

Ok.. before I get into this.. .. what do you think the

Dec 19, 2019, 8:05 AM

Transfer portal has changed?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Replies: 10
| visibility 1,657
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic