Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The timeframe for Clemson to leave the ACC has been set
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

The timeframe for Clemson to leave the ACC has been set

Jan 6, 2020, 10:34 AM

http://allsportsdiscussion.com/2020/01/05/the-acc-is-in-a-potential-revenue-dilemma-yet-again/

The ACC is going to get left behind if Notre Dame won't agree to become a full member. If Notre Dame resists, Clemson and any other schools that want to remain at the top of the food chain, must depart.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I said at the time this was first reported...

Jan 6, 2020, 10:39 AM

the league was foolish for agreeing to a fifteen year contract.

John Swofford couldn't negotiate his way out of his own driveway with a GPS.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

You are so right!

Jan 6, 2020, 11:35 AM

Fire Swofford!! I've been saying it for years--so have many of you.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: The timeframe for Clemson to leave the ACC has been set

Jan 6, 2020, 11:16 AM

I like the ACC-BIG 12 alignment part. Would be good for the football serious schools like Clemson,FSU, OU, Baylor. Then the basketball schools can unite like UNC,UVA, Kansas.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2020, 11:29 AM

I posted about this 2 weeks ago here....

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/TV-Money-the-SEC-the-ACC--where-is-all-this-heading-26562519

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2020, 11:56 AM

His post is better.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jan 6, 2020, 12:06 PM

"Better" in what way?

Swofford needs to have a provision in any future ACC TV contract that will give the ACC a chance to nullify that current TV contract if the ACC falls behind any other conference in revenue by a set amount. By the current contract, our only real way out is to add members. Not the preferred way.....

BTW- I called every ACC conference move correctly months in advance since GT joining. Didn't see that one coming, but everything since I have gotten correct.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2020, 12:01 PM

The answer is the 1st of never.

Jan 6, 2020, 12:57 PM

Swofford bet everything on the landscape changing enough that Notre Dame would have to join a conference. ND making the CFP last year was a big blow to that because the hope was they would feel like they needed to be in conference to make the CFP... now they know that isnt the case.
What the ACC needs more than anything is for Miami, FSU and VT to get back to winning and the middle tier teams to have those occasional great years. Just none of it happening right now.

Jan 6, 2020, 1:09 PM

Swofford's hands were tied by the crappy contract before this one. In order to get ESPN to re-negotiate, he offered a much longer term deal. The Notre Dame thing is a sideline. Swofford looks at that as a life raft. It may actually be that- If the ACC were to sink, that would not be great for Notre Dame in non-revenue sports. At some point Notre Dame will HAVE to make a move. But it may be to the Big 10, not the ACC.

Jan 6, 2020, 2:54 PM

Since I haven't been keeping up with this topic, this is a genuine question, not an argument:

This prognostication is based on the assumption of ever-increasing viewership and consumer willingness to spend on sports, no? And if so, are we not possibly in a "bubble" situation, so that, essentially, it's the current haves who get exposed by a big "market correction"?

Why or why not?

Jan 6, 2020, 3:00 PM

Yes. Congratulations you seem to be the only other one on this board that recognizes the bubble will burst and all contracts entered into will be tossed into the garbage bin. In stadium attendance is suffering and eventually the TV numbers will be so spread over numerous platforms people will just stop looking for the product.

Jan 6, 2020, 3:36 PM [ in reply to Re: The timeframe for Clemson to leave the ACC has been set ]

Pay per view to follow.

Jan 6, 2020, 3:57 PM

I'm sure the SEC East would gladly trade Missouri or Vandy for Clemson. Missouri could go back to the Big12 and Vandy could slide into the ACC or Big12.

H*e*l*l the SEC might even dump Uof6C for Clemson to get a real football team. Although, I don't think UGA would be happy but it would mean game on!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2020, 7:05 PM

No they wouldn’t. Missouri is a more populated state, and they already have the diploma factory in Columbia for SC. They might trade Vandy for a North Carolina school.

Jan 6, 2020, 8:23 PM [ in reply to Re: The timeframe for Clemson to leave the ACC has been set ]

Don't USCe and all SEC teams have veto power over another school from the same state joining?

It's also quite possible UGA, UF, (the other) UT don't want Clemson in the SEC East.

In other words, don't be so sure.

Unless I'm forgetting something, one thing all conference expansions have in common: No existing members get ticked off. It's a group decision where everyone buys in.

Jan 6, 2020, 9:09 PM

Youre all right. The SEC would never let Clemson in because they are too good now. It would be worth considering.

I forget what a school has to pay to the conference for leaving the ACC - $10M or $20M? In the first year, that would be made back and exceed the ACC annual payout with money left over.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic