Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Another Chubby Wells memory - Against University of Maryland
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 399

Another Chubby Wells memory - Against University of Maryland

Feb 2, 2021, 7:44 PM

Close game last seconds. Terps down and need the ball. Terps lose the ball and press the inbounds. Chubby brings the ball in. Instead of passing the ball to a Tiger he offers the ball to the Terp defender. The Terp takes the ball from Chubby. Maryland immediately gets T’d up. We make the technical and get the ball. After ripping his player a new a*ss, Lefty Driesell looks at us (we sat behind the opposing bench), rubs his head and says, “That was one of the stupidest f*ucking plays I’ve ever seen.” We lost it. Lefty was great.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When I was a kid, a friend of my Dad's told me that Lefty

Feb 2, 2021, 8:41 PM

had escaped from a mental hospital. Lefty was so explosive and animated, I believed him. He had so many crazy facial expressions. Sometimes he'd have this really pained expression and look downright distraught, and thinking he was disturbed, I'd actually feel sorry for him. While he was quite a character, it was many years later in his career before I came to appreciate what a great basketball coach he really was.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Lefty was as sly as a fox

Feb 2, 2021, 8:49 PM

May have acted like some bumpkin from Southeast Virginia, but there was no doubt that he knew what he was doing.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Her sure was - he could flat out coach.***

Feb 3, 2021, 12:31 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I've told this Lefty story before, but here it is again....

Feb 3, 2021, 7:05 AM

In the 80's the students sat directly behind the scorers table. 1st row and up. Pre-game were sitting there reading the Tiger - we we're all going to hold up our papers as the Terps were introduced - and Lefty walks by.

He looks and me and asks "What's in the paper?" I look up and say, "Ohh it talks about how bad Clemson is going to beat Maryland today"

Without missing a beat ole Lefty says "I didn't think you Clemson fukkers could read"

We all lost it laughing. Gained a lot of respect for him that day.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

The silent treatment.

Feb 3, 2021, 8:41 AM

Good times.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 399
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic