Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Double Yellow Card on Dietr­ich
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Double Yellow Card on Dietr­ich

Dec 1, 2019, 8:50 PM

I'm reading through the NCAA Soccer rule book and only things I could see that would have possibly triggered that are:

1) Spitting at the ref (which I would think would have been picked up on video)
2) Physically assaulting the ref (which was not evident)
3) "Engaging in hostile or abusive language or harassment that refers to
race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or national origin, or other abusive,
threatening or obscene language, behavior or conduct" - that one is pretty open-ended and possible, but can't imagine which of those Dietrich could have done.

However, my understanding is that if it was to that degree of severity, then it should have just been a red... not two yellows. I can't find anything in the rules that allows for two yellows based on one verbal altercation. Unless he gave the first yellow and then Dietrich kept going enough to justify a 2nd yellow - which I would think would be evident on video.

I hope it's a situation where we can file an appeal on the 2nd yellow and therefore the red. Anyone more familiar with soccer rules that could shed more light?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tanner's 1st yellow was slide tackle earlier in game.

Dec 1, 2019, 8:56 PM

That ref was all over the place. Providence players were pushing our guys down and he did nothing. We touch one of their guys and instant foul.

Guess I can't argue too much since he gave us a PK (that Kimarni earned) to win game.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yeah that’s what I found weird to

Dec 1, 2019, 8:56 PM

He gave him a yellow after argument sure but then immediately have him a second yellow after it. I guess Dietrich must have cursed after getting the yellow.

He wasn’t screaming or getting in the refs face (which I’ve seen in college soccer before, usually unpunished).

Dissent can be an auto red.***

Dec 1, 2019, 8:58 PM

Tanner was already on yellow from earlier slide tackle.

Dec 1, 2019, 8:58 PM [ in reply to yeah that’s what I found weird to ]

He only needed one yellow after he complained about getting shoved on his header attempt to score.

Two yellows get you a red, so when the ref gave him a yellow for arguing that was it.

K I should have caught that...

Dec 1, 2019, 9:05 PM

Was stuck watching things with Play by Play and it should it as two back to back yellow cards followed by the red. I didn't go back and look to see the previous yellow. I knew the ref was card-happy (7 yellows issued in the game). I went back and looked at the play by play and they actually corrected it to just show one yellow in the overtime for Dietrich.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

didnt see what happened, but very easily could have been a

Dec 1, 2019, 8:57 PM

Yellow for something standard and then another for running his mouth.

Think of it like being called for holding and then a personal foul after the play.

Folks, Tanner already had yellow from earlier slide tackle.

Dec 1, 2019, 9:00 PM

When ref gave him yellow for arguing (or whatever) that was his second yellow which is the equivalent of a red.

i don’t think so

Dec 1, 2019, 9:02 PM

He pulled out back to back yellows from his pocket. I thought only Mayaka had a yellow from earlier

From official play-by-play ...

Dec 1, 2019, 9:06 PM

79:26 Clemson title= Yellow card on CU Tanner Dieterich.

0102:08 Clemson title= Yellow card on CU Tanner Dieterich.
0102:08 Clemson title= Red card on CU Tanner Dieterich.

Then that is correct

Dec 1, 2019, 9:11 PM

Second yellow card is shown and then red.

Sounds like there was a mixup in the ref showing the yellow twice, but the second yellow is shown before the red to show it was a yellow and not a straight red.

As I said recently, soccer has way less rules than football.

He's right

Dec 1, 2019, 9:07 PM [ in reply to i don’t think so ]

Dietrich had Yellow at 79:26
Then Yellow at 102:08

The ref did pull it out twice, which confused everyone including the PBP person for NCAA.com, but there was an earlier yellow.

Yeah that was the confusing part

Dec 1, 2019, 9:09 PM

Because he didn’t do the typical yellow immediately followed by a red for a second yellow. He pulled the yellow And waited like 7 seconds before getting the red out.

I guess he must’ve forgotten about the earlier yellow for a second. Which begs the question would he have still given it had he remembered ?

YES

Dec 1, 2019, 9:14 PM

Or at least he should have.

Pass interference with the game on the line, you want the ref to say, eh, maybe they should have a shot or call it by the book?

There’s no harm on calling a PK In the first 10 seconds or last 10 seconds of its the right call. I’ve had that decision before

I agree with you on that. Think he realized that ...

Dec 1, 2019, 9:15 PM [ in reply to Yeah that was the confusing part ]

... and suddenly didn't want to send guy off for arguing.

But then realized he couldn't back out of it or Providence coach would go ballistic.

Wondering if that may have made his decision to give us PK easier. That is, make up call.

Re: i don’t think so

Dec 1, 2019, 9:10 PM [ in reply to i don’t think so ]

generally, if they are giving the second yellow and ejecting, they'll still show the second yellow card before they show the red. it seems a little odd, but the reasoning presumably is they want to make it clear that the second offense was only a yellow, and because it was the second yellow, it escalates to a red, showing that the player has to then leave.

i admittedly didn’t watch game

Dec 1, 2019, 9:09 PM [ in reply to Folks, Tanner already had yellow from earlier slide tackle. ]

The context sounded like he got 2 at once. That’s not common.

If he already had one and then argued, obviously that’s why he got the red.

The way that would work would be a second caution, yellow, and then shown the red. If straight red for the offense, even with a prior yellow, he would be shown the red directly.

The ref liked showing his cards

Dec 1, 2019, 9:14 PM

So I think for some reason he displayed it twice before the red (which the NCAA.com PBP person initially also showed) even though there had been an earlier yellow. Then NCAA.com PBP went back and removed the line of the "3rd" Yellow. I didn't actually see it live (just following the PBP), but back to back yellows seemed to be the way people were describing it that were watching live and that is what PBP showed, so I erroneously posted the above thinking that was actually the case (missed checking the earlier yellows which I should have done).

I’m not going to hate you for following the PBP

Dec 1, 2019, 9:25 PM

The quirks of soccer are interesting, much like the ole miss ordeal where a penalty can be enforced on the PAT or the kickoff.

I’ve never played a down of organized football so can’t get into the nuances of the rules, but can with soccer.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic