Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anyone think Trump, or his supporters who stormed the capital...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 854

Anyone think Trump, or his supporters who stormed the capital...

Jan 10, 2021, 11:14 AM

Believe that the office transcends the individual?

In Jean Edward Smith's biography of George W. Bush, he wrote about what President Bush thought of President-elect Obama during the transition period.
On page 650, it states:
“As part of the presidential transition, Barack Obama asked Bush if it would be possible for him to meet all the ex-presidents. Bush was happy to oblige, and organized a White House luncheon in the Oval Office on January 7. Bush and Obama were joined by Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton, and George H. W. Bush. The luncheon lasted over two hours, each former president ordered his lunch à la carte from the White House mess, and the tone was convivial and friendly. “All the gentlemen here understand both the pressures and possibilities of this office,” said Obama before the meeting. “For me to have the opportunity to get advice, good counsel and fellowship with these individuals is extraordinary, and I just want to thank the President for hosting us.”
Bush was equally effusive. “We want you to succeed,” he replied. “Whether we're Democrat or Republican we care deeply about this country. And to the extent we can we look forward to sharing our experiences with you. All of us who have served in this office understand that the office transcends the individual.”

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Anyone think Trump, or his supporters who stormed the capital...

Jan 10, 2021, 11:27 AM

Trump is an anomaly. It will be back to the old ways when Biden or whoever is there leaves. Trump doesn't care about the country or the sanctity of anything.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes - I would say that batshat crazy as they are, they do.

Jan 10, 2021, 11:55 AM

I have argued/discussed ad nauseum with some people I've known a long time and all I can tell you is they are totally brainwashed. We at an unprecedented point in this nations' history. We do not merely have political/philosophical/idealogical differences as we've always had, but thanks to social media, many people are simply unable to discern good, reliable information from total bullshat. Biases and the inability to self-reflect and think critically are very effectively exploited.

Specifically to your question, they do respect the office of president, or at least they want to be able to, desperately; but they do not trust the process, and they do not believe that Biden is a legitimate president. They would tell you that the "deep state" does not have respect for America, the constitution, or American principles and values, while Donald Trump does, and that is what they believe they are fighting for, and that is why they are fighting for him. So, while it may seem they are placing Trump above the office, they would say that is not true at all, they are fighting for the office, and the true president.

Message was edited by: Smiling Tiger®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

It’s the cult of personality effect

Jan 10, 2021, 12:13 PM

Definitely happened with Trump, lesser extent Obama, and then you can probably throw in some like JFK and Reagan.

The line I have hated for 20 years that I first heard during W’s presidency is “Not my President!!!”. It refused to die during the Obama and Trump administrations and it deserves a face punch, because it shows clearly that the speaker doesn’t get the concept of office over individual.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The office definitely does

Jan 10, 2021, 12:26 PM

If Trump only tweeted from the official POTUS Twitter feed, I’d be much more comfortable with it
Should be more policy and PSA stuff than nonsense

Him being banned is an interesting thing for me, he says crazy stuff and shouldn’t do it. At the same time Twitter is banning the highest office in the nation and possibly world

If he stuck to the official account, it would be different

But yes, the office is much bigger than the person

Re: The office definitely does

Jan 10, 2021, 2:06 PM

fluff,

I think they are banning the man - not the office.

Re: The office definitely does

Jan 10, 2021, 2:13 PM [ in reply to The office definitely does ]

That's kind of the point though.

The RNC didn't even have a platform at their convention for the 2020 Election. It was just non-stop effusive praise for Dear Leader. The single message: More Trump (and the Royal Family, the Trumps. And their wives and girlfriends. And closest favorites of the moment.)

There isn't an office or policy or process. It's just Donald Trump, the guy, doing whatever he wants whenever and saying whatever it comes into his mind to say, and legal or not, whether or not it makes sense, it's on everybody around him to leap into action and do what he says to do, right then, right there. Even if it means suborning the Democratic process of the United States of America.

The office definitely does

Jan 10, 2021, 12:26 PM

If Trump only tweeted from the official POTUS Twitter feed, I’d be much more comfortable with it
Should be more policy and PSA stuff than nonsense

Him being banned is an interesting thing for me, he says crazy stuff and shouldn’t do it. At the same time Twitter is banning the highest office in the nation and possibly world

If he stuck to the official account, it would be different

But yes, the office is much bigger than the person

It is a good question. Were the rioters supporting a

Jan 10, 2021, 2:02 PM

personality over the Constitutional process, or were they refusing to allow what they believe was a subversion of that process? Depends on which of those people one has happens to have in front of him, maybe. We are in a time where emotions are merging the person and the office, I think.

Many who hate him do so because, I think, he is merely the logical end of where we all willingly went. When we support elected senators and representatives who define half the population as deplorable, or who say all white men are racist and are the biggest evil in the country, or who define people who want stronger borders as racist, and then we see a maladjusted person like Trump in office, we're looking at where all that went before has brought us. The people who voted for him bear responsibility for that, as do the radicals who created him, and those who sat quietly because the radicals were politically useful.

I not saying there are not radicals on the other side. If we elect a Bernie leftist, we can look at their role. I am addressing only Trump and our reaction to him here.

He is us, so we hate him all the more. The magnitude of the hatred - not the understanding that we need a better way, but the level of emotional reaction - is the refusal to look in the mirror, I think.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 8
| visibility 854
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic