Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How good of a job is that GT coaching position?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

How good of a job is that GT coaching position?

Nov 28, 2018, 5:11 PM

Living here in the Atlanta area for 15 years....

1. They are almost ignored locally by the news stations and news paper
2. The facilities aren't good at all
3. The fan support is avg at best...anytime Clemson or Uga play them the fans take over their stadium
4. They want to be MIT Monday - Friday and yet be good in football which is unrealistic
5. The school isn't in the best area

I would say it's maybe in the top half of the conference for quality of a job but an argument could be made it's behind a lot of teams.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The location is great and...

Nov 28, 2018, 5:19 PM

they are completely surrounded by a wealth of talent.

However, as you pointed out, the university has done a poor job of supporting the program and making it a priority.

Those are questions I would ask and expect some pretty definitive and specific answers before I agreed to accept that position.

The rebuilding job that lies ahead of their next coach is monumental.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

it's in an amazing area. midtown Atlanta is awesome and

Nov 28, 2018, 5:34 PM

Culturally diverse. That whole Atlanta sucks thing is just country bumpkin talk and it sounds pretty ignorant. you don't need a car and there's tons of cool stuff around there.

The right guy could recruit there. I think it's a very good job. O'Leary and Friedgen used to kill us down there.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nope, it's not bumpkin talk..

Nov 28, 2018, 6:09 PM

...just a plain fact the streets aren't safe around the campus...especially at night. Hasn't been for YEARS.

Unless you are holed up on campus, living in the dorms using the local cafeteria plan, etc...You are in Atlanta...YOU NEED A CAR. To think otherwise, is utter nonsense.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

midtown is perfectly safe at night. I used to walk around

Nov 28, 2018, 9:02 PM

There and Virginia highlands at night for 6 years. Keep in mind va-hi is right near boulevard, a rough street.

These football players aren't scared little pansies. Midtown does not equal Bankhead.

Tired of the uninformed and inexperienced spewing this nonsense.

don't tell the kids that they can uber safely anywhere

Nov 28, 2018, 9:12 PM [ in reply to Nope, it's not bumpkin talk.. ]

In the city for 7 bucks a pop. I bet students in 5 points are victims of way more crime than GT students in ATL.

Exactly, Midtown is a great area.

Nov 28, 2018, 10:26 PM [ in reply to it's in an amazing area. midtown Atlanta is awesome and ]

I also get tired of some people bashing any big city and portraying it as crime-infested and dirty. Atlanta, like any big city, will have its nice areas and its not as nice areas, but Atlanta is generally clean and safe as far as big cities go. That is especially true in Midtown.

I love Atlanta and find it to be a great city.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

It would take somebody with vision like Dabo

Nov 28, 2018, 5:37 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It would take somebody with vision like Dabo

Nov 28, 2018, 5:54 PM

Remember 2009 when we played them?

Depends how good you think $3.5+ mil/year sounds***

Nov 28, 2018, 5:52 PM

70% of the 4/5 star recruits the last 5 years have come from

Nov 28, 2018, 5:55 PM

10 states. Texas, Florida, and California produce more of those star recruits than any other states by a wide margin, with Georgia next. The numbers fall off rapidly after Georgia. Over half (53%) of those recruits come from the top 5 states. (The decision to hire Paul Johnson was a very bad one.)

The division they play in is weak. There are a ton of potential ticket buyers in the Atlanta area I think it's a great job. The money and fans would follow a successful coach.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sourcing:

Nov 28, 2018, 5:59 PM

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2016/6/28/12040586/rankings-state-stars-florida-texas-california

WV = zero yet WV is usually pretty good***

Nov 28, 2018, 9:09 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sourcing:

Nov 28, 2018, 10:28 PM [ in reply to Sourcing: ]

So SC is 17

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Re: How good of a job is that GT coaching position?

Nov 28, 2018, 6:02 PM

It's an excellent job for the right guy!
Who is the right guy?
Ask Dabo.He might know some one.

Re: How good of a job is that GT coaching position?

Nov 28, 2018, 8:51 PM

This may be completely crazy. I don't know what kind of money ESPN sideline reporters make, but what about Tom Luginbill to GT? He's GT alum, coached in the XFL, and is a recruiting guru.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic