Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Kelly Bryant on starting job: It won't be given to me
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 1

New Story: Kelly Bryant on starting job: It won't be given to me

Jan 21, 2017, 2:42 PM

Kelly Bryant on starting job: It won't be given to me

Kelly Bryant is aware of the competition, and he is aware that even though he has the most experience of any returning quarterback, a starting job won’t be handed to him. He has to earn it. And he’s ok with that. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interpreted the title wrong...

Jan 21, 2017, 2:48 PM

Thought it meant that he wouldn't get the starting job...

Either way, Cooper will start :)

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe, but...

Jan 21, 2017, 3:53 PM

I can't see Johnson RS

Most interesting spring in quite a while

Jan 21, 2017, 3:59 PM

A lot of position battles between some very talented people.

Re: Most interesting spring in quite a while

Jan 21, 2017, 4:13 PM

Yes indeed.Bryant wasn't recruited because he was a bad player.Anybody behind Watson was at a disadvantage.I say dont worry about next year and Lawrence.It's a verbal commitment from a teenager.Cooper or Bryant will start.That's my opinion. I want 60-70,yard runs from Feaster also.

Re: Most interesting spring in quite a while

Jan 21, 2017, 4:48 PM [ in reply to Most interesting spring in quite a while ]

You got that right!

Yep***

Jan 22, 2017, 10:18 AM [ in reply to Most interesting spring in quite a while ]

If they scale the offense to a read-run, with a timing based

Jan 21, 2017, 3:24 PM

passing offense, Bryant will thrive. Question is, will the offensive coaches be ok with this and will they be content?

KB is a wicked beast of an athlete and could very well see him as a taller Lamar Jackson / Dantzler type of player for us.

Kelly might surprise us all and improve

Jan 21, 2017, 3:32 PM

His throwing to a strength for him. If he does it's going to be embarrassing for some teams with our defense.

I believe Tucker Israel is going to be better than most of us believe. This kid can sling the ball and is much faster on his feet than most realize.

I look forward to seeing the cream rise to the top. We are loaded with talent and we have FSU at home.

I look for our Tigers to repeat as Champions!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

The honest truth is none of us have seen Kelly

Jan 21, 2017, 3:44 PM

in game situations where he has been cut loose with the entire offense. All his snaps were mop up this year so he didn't throw, and he was a designated tead option guy his first year as a raw true freshman.

I know this. If he can effectively pass he is a huge weapon as he is an incredible threat as a runner. I'm pulling for him, but also confident whoever the coaches see as the best option will play.

I feel very good about QB

This. "Everybody knows" Kelly doesn't have an arm or can't

Jan 21, 2017, 6:06 PM

make the throws, when in reality we don't know that at all. It's not unreasonable to infer that, based on what we have seen, but we'll see. Either way, we should be in good shape at QB.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: This. "Everybody knows" Kelly doesn't have an arm or can't

Jan 21, 2017, 9:50 PM

Go back and watch the video I posted of Kelly passing in crunch time- hs level.

Re: Kelly might surprise us all and improve

Jan 21, 2017, 9:59 PM [ in reply to Kelly might surprise us all and improve ]

If you watch that game he played in against Daniel he had pressure with a minute left in the game and scored touchdown. Made some good throws. I hope he does well....

Jan 21, 2017, 4:26 PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FU47t1RtniA

Jan 21, 2017, 9:38 PM

That was pretty impressive!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 24, 2017, 12:26 AM [ in reply to Re: Kelly might surprise us all and improve ]

Yeah, I hope so. He looked pretty horrible on that film. (Sarcasm)

Jan 21, 2017, 4:30 PM [ in reply to Kelly might surprise us all and improve ]

Certainly, Bryant knows how to win do to his success in high school. Hope he has focus all his past and present opportunities on the tasks that Clemson football program has Blessed him with. Lock (ALL) the way (IN) on what's on the table before him. PS: Its now, maybe, would've, could've, or never. Per Dabo, "Don't let anyone get between your ears" Stay focus on the opportunities that GOD have BLESSED you with.

Jan 21, 2017, 5:03 PM

But why not move him to wideout and let the other studs compete for the QB position? Especially with losing Tay, Leggett, and Mike? We may need more depth at the Wr spot and he can be electric with those jet sweeps and bubble screens with his speed and elusiveness.

But who am I to make suggestions?

Because we are already loaded at WR...

Jan 21, 2017, 6:00 PM

so his chances at making it at WR would be very hard. And the coaches probably wouldn't even consider that considering the depth we have at WR

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 21, 2017, 10:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Kelly might surprise us all and improve ]

Another option if need be. Renfrow says hello. Should succeed there as well. Being able to help the Qb with reading the defense while on pass patterns.

Not being mean, but with all the talent we have at QB...

Jan 21, 2017, 5:42 PM [ in reply to Kelly might surprise us all and improve ]

Israel pretty much has no chance to be a starter here. At fall camp we will have 4 QB's that are taller, stronger, and more athletic than him. Maybe ten years ago Israel would have had a shot, but with the talent we are bringing in it will be hard for a QB who lacks velocity on his passes and being undersized to win the starting job

I haven't seen Tucker Israel play, but he was awesome in HS.

Jan 21, 2017, 5:55 PM

He broke Tim Tebow's Florida high school record for TDs in a season (56). He threw for over 15,000 passing yards and 1,300 rushing yards in his career. He was one of the top dual threat QBs coming out of high school that year.

I know he's small, and he might not be as good as some of our other QBs, but based on his high school stats he should at least get a look. The guy can obviously play football.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

It would be different if he had a strong arm like Kyle Parker...

Jan 21, 2017, 6:05 PM

but he doesn't.

How great would it be to say"I'm trying to gain weight'?

Jan 21, 2017, 3:49 PM

I've never had to try to do that lol

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Deon Cain

Jan 21, 2017, 3:52 PM

I am not saying Bryant can't claim the starting position ( don't go there plz)
But IMO, he will need to get out of the gate VERY VERY QUICKLY. Competition
will mount quickly, and someone will need to grab the reigns.
IMO, the strengh of the 2017 offense will be in our receivers (and OL); And some-
one needs to be able to get them the ball.

So you have regularly attended Clemson practices over the past two years?..

Jan 21, 2017, 5:53 PM

I'm not gonna say KB2 is gonna win the job. But, I think most of us haven't seen him pass enough to definitively say his chances are slim or none. At this point who the main starter will be next season is pretty much unknown to us as we haven't even seen Zerrick Cooper yet, unless that is you have the access to attend practices. With the talent we have, who ever wins out we will be good at the QB position

I agree, we haven't been at practice the last two years.

Jan 21, 2017, 5:57 PM

Thus, we have no way of knowing how the guys have performed. Yet you just said in another thread that there is no way Tucker Israel can compete with our other QBs?!?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

yeah because in the spring games...

Jan 21, 2017, 6:20 PM

he had no velocity on his passes and the ball sailed on him on deep balls same thing happened in the practices on youth day if you have a kid to attend that event. That we do know about Israel. As far as Bryant he has shown he has strong arm, but we don't know how accurate he is or about his decision making in the passing game. Those are the things we know about those 2. Which leaves question marks. So what I say about Israel applies to KB2 also, he has to show his ability in the passing game if he wants to win the job over Cooper or Johnson.

Re: I agree, we haven't been at practice the last two years.

Jan 21, 2017, 11:28 PM [ in reply to I agree, we haven't been at practice the last two years. ]

Also, I would like to add, where are the people coming from who say Tucker Has NO arm strength.
What do they base that on?
Have they been going to practices and watching him through?
Are the coaches saying it?
I do not believe we recruited a QB with no arm strength and who passed for 15,000 yards in high school. Those two things, just don't add up!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I agree, we haven't been at practice the last two years.

Jan 21, 2017, 11:32 PM

Meant "throw, not through!

Duh!

Jan 22, 2017, 10:16 AM [ in reply to So you have regularly attended Clemson practices over the past two years?.. ]

DUH! &%$#@

Its pretty evident the coaching staff wasn't completely comfortable with him-If you've been
paying attention. 1st off, he couldn't claim the back up spot to a very very avg Nich Schussler.
(mind you, he did some good things) Then, the staff was hesitant about opening the play book
with him. So quite frankly, I didn't NEED to be at the practices to see that, did you?
I completely understand he will go into Spring ball as the number #1 guy, duh.
But, as I stated...with the players we have around him, and on the way. He will need to get
off to a quick start....IMO******
No doubt Bryant has talent....but the jury is still out at QB.

And yes, you could say that with the others too, I suppose :(

Oh geez.

Job will be much easier to win than to keep ...

Jan 21, 2017, 3:52 PM

With QB talent this year and incoming over next few years, KB will have to be great not good to keep the QB position for one to two years. Dabo's approach will be interesting and impactful. Hunter Johnson and Trevor Lawrence MAY stay on team without playing for up to one year, then it's on to an SEC or Big Ten program. So who Dabo plays and sticks with will, out of necessity, be made with long term considerations.

KB has awesome running skills. That said, Dabo, Elliott and Scott will have to select the QB who manages the Offense and consistently distributes the ball to the talent ... that being Cain, Renfrow, Ray Ray, Feaster and hopefully Fuller. KB could be the man, or we could see a shared QB situation for a while. Israel or Cooper could surprise. Johnson as a mid-year enrollee could factor in early. Will be interesting.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With so much talent accumulating at QB and WR, I almost

Jan 21, 2017, 5:30 PM

wonder if the staff wouldn't consider rotating entire sets of skill players in and out as a game progresses - kinda like hockey. It would be ridiculously hard to gameplan a D around if you literally had two separate offenses to contend with.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: With so much talent accumulating at QB and WR, I almost

Jan 21, 2017, 5:39 PM

Certainly an interesting thought but don't think it gives you enough consistency. Even G o a t DW4 had to settle into games. Big games especially.

If you recall gus tried that last year and it was a disaster... and good for us.

You can rotate two. Primary and then another occasionally.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Remember KB2 is a junior this coming season...

Jan 21, 2017, 5:56 PM [ in reply to Job will be much easier to win than to keep ... ]

Trevor Lawrence will be a freshman in 2018 while Bryant will be a senior. So if Bryant does win the job and keeps it, it most likely won't effect the younger QB's coming in

Re: New Story: Kelly Bryant on starting job: It won't be given to me

Jan 21, 2017, 5:32 PM

I wish he would pursue wr. Got great height. Know he can take a hit. Just seems logical with the other qb's.

Cooper has good height too but I was surprised he didn't have that many offers. Just don't think tuck has enough height to throw over big d line guys...

Really want to see Johnson get it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some people fail to acknowledge that KB2 would have been..

Jan 21, 2017, 5:38 PM

Redshirted if not for QB depth reasons in 2015. So maybe he has more of a shot to be good than people are giving him

Re: Some people fail to acknowledge that KB2 would have been..

Jan 21, 2017, 5:43 PM

Maybe but he wasn't highly rated or recruited. At least not for qb. Ratings aren't everything but ive found it matters more in qb's than any other position.

Yes he was. A 4 star recruit and one of the top dual threat QB's...

Jan 21, 2017, 6:11 PM

in the nation coming out of high school. Florida, Auburn, OSU, Louisville, Georgia, Stanford, and Va Tech recruited him.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/12240

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/171043/kelly-bryant

It's cool if you don't keep up with recruiting, but don't post falsehoods about a highly rated player who was recruited by plenty of good teams.

Re: Yes he was. A 4 star recruit and one of the top dual threat QB's...

Jan 21, 2017, 6:44 PM

I probably keep up with recruiting more than toyed. 247 total ratings was a 3 star and #14 position... I don't call that superior compared to what we have coming in since then.

On the link you sent the teams were wrong in your post. Osu auburn ga- didn't see they ever offered . Only muscoot at fla offered.

Jan 21, 2017, 11:54 PM

It looks as if you didn't look very closely at the links he included.
The link to ESPN shows GA and OSU both offering but not Auburn.
Rivals shows Auburn and OSU offering but not GA.
Also, he never said Bryant was better than any of the recruits we have coming in since then.
Finally, what does this mean? "I probably keep up with recruiting more than toyed."

Jan 22, 2017, 12:52 AM

Toyed? Who knows- should have been "you do ".

As for the links I have always been under the impression that a check was an offer. No checks by teams you mentioned. Auburn not even on there. No offer from uga Stanford osu were ever given on either rivals or espn. At least not the link I click on.

Look, all I said was that kb was not as highly rated or recruited as the qb's we have on roster or recruits. Add the fact that lorenzo nuenez was rated higher and has better measurables than kb gives me concern. I've said it before he reminds me of nuenez.

Plus he's had 2 years to study the playbook and understudy DW4. The fact that he's having to "cram " his words and coach hopes he can get better doesn't give me a good feeling he can run this offense. Couple that with the few times he got in he was bad throwing and he had happy feet and took off to run.

Somewhere in tnet posts this has been discussed a bunch. I just can't see the investment to spend a year learning on field and we may get one good yr? 2018.

Jan 22, 2017, 10:22 AM [ in reply to Yes he was. A 4 star recruit and one of the top dual threat QB's... ]

4.8 40.....He's a 4.4 guy, no doubt.

Jan 22, 2017, 1:09 AM

Zerrick will take the lead, Johnson will dethrone and Kelly will be 3rd string dispite his natural gifts as a runner. -- I predicted what would happen with Deshaun and Nick as 1&2 and some fans didn't like that. I really hope Kelly has grown and Dabo has "watered the bambo" as he calls it nurturing growth reguardless of actual gains -- Like Kevin Dodd! It will be an exciting spring and I can't wait to see what Johnson brings and Zerrick - New Toys! - And Tee Higgins ??- Hope the lights truly come on for Feaster! Could be another special year...

#### it's good to be a tiger

Jan 22, 2017, 7:46 AM

+1 for you. even more exciting than 2014.

Having Streeter as QB coach will be a big factor.

Jan 22, 2017, 11:20 AM

I personally think hiring Brandon Streeter in 2014 was one of Dabo Swinney's best ever decisions and I will offer Cole Stoudt's performance against Oklahoma in the Russell Athletic Bowl as my evidence. DeShaun Watson was clearly the best quarterback that season but Stoudt's progression from where he was during the season to the Bowl game was phenomenal in my opinion and I credit that performance to Streeter taking time with Stoudt and working with him.

I think Streeter will prove very valuable this season as he works with Kelly Bryant and begins developing the younger guys. Having him as QB coach puts Clemson in a better situation than they were in 2014.

Re: Having Streeter as QB coach will be a big factor.

Jan 22, 2017, 12:57 PM

Also nice to have him in position should we lose one of the OC's. Dabo always has a plan....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It may be a stupid idea but why not move KB to a RB?

Jan 22, 2017, 10:27 PM

Yes he is 6-4 & lanky but he has mad speed and is very very illusive. Hes not the most ideal RB in the world but look at L. Jackson, thats basically what he is. KB would make a great Wildcat also. Just move the kid outta the QB position and make him a hybrid. Coop will end up with the starting position with Johnson as backup. KB just had too much leg talent to waste sitting on the bench. Either way i cant wait for Spring game & Youth day to watch the progression of the talent we have at all positions. Go Tigers

If ZC starts, KB will back him up***

Jan 24, 2017, 2:50 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 48
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic