Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The hidden reason why Clemson lost....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

The hidden reason why Clemson lost....

Jan 12, 2016, 8:24 PM

We're all well aware of the comebacks forged by Notre Dame and UNCheat this year. Most subscribed to the idea that Clemson's D got tired as the 2nd half wore on. But a look into the drive stats of ,last night's game may show that the reason was more innocuous than that.

In last night's Nat'l Champ game against Bama, Clemson again displayed a stark tendency of playing poorly from the lead. To be sure, they're not the Jean Van de Velde of College Football, but the Tigers did show a statistical failure to grab the Elephants by the throat when they had the chance.

To wit:

Three times in the game (only once on the 2nd half) Clemson got possession of the ball when it had the lead. The results of those drives are startling: 3 drives, 12 combined plays, 22 total yards, -0- points, Yards per play of 1.83, and Points per drive of -0-.

Likewise, six (6) times during the game Clemson got the ball while the score was tied. The results of those drives were only slightly better: 32 total plays for 166 total yards or 5.19 Yards per play. Clemson scored only 1 TD on those 6 drives so the Points per drive was 1.17. To be fair there was also the missed FG at the end of the first half in this group, but that would have increased the Pts per drive to only 1.67.

Most notable however were the 6 drives that Clemson had during the game when they were behind, with 5 of the 6 coming in the 2nd half. Results for those drives were 44 total plays for 373 yards or a whopping 8.48 Yards per play. They also scored on each of these possessions - yes, 6 times on 6 drives - for 33 total points. That's 5.50 Pts per drive when behind.

Coincidental? Possibly. Certainly the fact that 5 scoring drives occurred in the 2nd half could indicate that there was more urgency for the Offense or that the Bama defense was tiring. However, that doesn't go to explain the 3 drives that occurred in the 2nd half where the score was either tied or Clemson led, and the Tigers came up completely empty - 3 drives tied or ahead and -0- points. 6 drives behind, 33 points.

There's meaning there, but I'll leave that to better minds to completely uncover.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The hidden reason why Clemson lost....

Jan 12, 2016, 8:50 PM

Interesting analysis. It's also indicative of the play calling when we're behind. I wish the Co-OCs would be more aggressive in play calling when we're even and ahead!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This was my first thought, too.

Jan 12, 2016, 8:59 PM

Has to have something to do with play calling.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Jan 16, 2016, 11:02 AM [ in reply to Re: The hidden reason why Clemson lost.... ]

Spot on +1. We knew what was working. It worked all game and almost worked to tie us up. Play calling has sucked all year once we got a halfway decent lead. I don't see why we don't keep pouring on the coals. I have hesitated all year to complain because we were winning but that crap calling got us when it counted most.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

young offense and coordinators

Jan 12, 2016, 8:53 PM

They will develop the killer instinct and go for the jugular next yr when the opportunity arises

Re: young offense and coordinators

Jan 12, 2016, 9:18 PM

I think they did in first half and it ended in int.

What could've been on that play because the safety but and if deshaun had put air under that and let rr3 run under it, it was 7...21-7 in 2nd makes for an interesting what if.

Anyway--that was a second and short up 14-7 and they took a shot and it burned us...not sure if that played into as game wore on, especially w d containing Henry and sacking Coker

Jan 12, 2016, 8:58 PM

Great analysis. Been thinking the same thing all year yelling "step on their throats!" Putting more games away could have provided more rest for the starters. 5 minutes until we welcome our warriors back to the valley. Great crowd here. Go Tigers!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 12, 2016, 9:01 PM

It had less to do with our Tiger's not " grabbing the throat " as you say , and more to do with the Elephants not allowing the throat to be grabbed .
Sour grapes and all , but we were not the better team last night .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

no sour grapes, but stats say you're wrong....

Jan 12, 2016, 9:47 PM

if Bama wouldn't "let" their throats be grabbed,

then why didn't Bama stop the Tigers even once when they were ahead in the 2nd half?

Clemson scored every time they got the ball in the 2nd half and needed to score...

so, little fact about who's who:

Ole Ppiss needed 5 turnovers to beat Bama;

Clemson lost the turnover battle, gave up an onsides kick, a 3rd&11 hail-mary conversion, and kick-off runback for TD,

yet played to a one possession game.

I think you grossly understate how good this Tiger team really was...

Re: no sour grapes, but stats say you're wrong....

Jan 12, 2016, 10:13 PM

I didn't say that we weren't good ...we were great . Just not as great as they were , last night . Give them credit .
If we stop those two special teams plays I think we win ...but we couldn't , or didn't. That is called losing to the better team .

DB23

Alabama was more opportunistic.... they took advantage of

Jan 13, 2016, 7:36 AM

what Clemson gave them.

A depleted secondary after Mack went down.

A glaring hole on the kickoff return team's configuration.

Weaknesses on kickoffs - depth of kick, and coverage.

If by better team , you mean better scheming/coaching , then yes, you are about half correct in what cost us the game.

Yep, there is where Dabo got outcoached, but he will rebound***

Jan 16, 2016, 11:52 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo didn't get out coached, players didn't make the plays.

Jan 16, 2016, 12:07 PM

The only play that he will have to accept is the onside kick.

Jan 12, 2016, 10:20 PM

You are so smart you must be a head college football coach somewhere.
If not, at least an assistant.

Seriously, Dabo and our Tigers had a GREAT season.

no I'm not, and d*a*m*n well they did !!

Jan 12, 2016, 10:27 PM

just thought it was an interesting stat, that's all.

Jan 12, 2016, 10:38 PM

Good read, you made excellent points but if you score 40 points and still lose.....your problems are on defense.

Jan 12, 2016, 10:57 PM

Those are interesting stats, BUT, you do realize that until last night Clemson had won 51 consecutive games when having the lead after the end of the 3rd quarter.

That stat says they do know how to finish more than just the sample size of 1 VERY IMPORTANT game.

We all love our Tigers!
See you at the Spring Game.

Jan 13, 2016, 2:01 AM

I noticed we didn't run the ball outside until the second half also... After the 4th failed attempt up the middle, in lieu of using Garrett at FB, we should have started those designed screens / wheel routes earlier.

Jan 16, 2016, 10:52 AM

Excellent points Epi. The Offense has shown a conservative approach with the lead late. The ND game I can understand, but the USuC and UNCheat games were disturbing. The Defense was on the field a lot late in those games. Losing Mac was definitely a big part of the busts in the 2nd half, I hope we can find someone with the headiness that he played on the backend. Tank is very good, but he's not the mind that Mac was back there, maybe he'll do like Dodd did and surprise us next year and be the Field General. It's going to take some doing for anyone to stop the O next year, conservative or not. Feaster, G-man, Williams, Leggett, Renfrow and the Master Watson, gonna be loaded for bear!

Jan 16, 2016, 11:04 AM

I don't understand why we didn't throw deep more ,. Their defenders were going to get flagged
for PI because that's the SEC way ,. We got some calls but the Ref's had no choice on the deep ball .,.

Not to mention they were desperate ., no body comes back and scores on them like we did .,

Coaching....

Jan 16, 2016, 11:35 AM

Hate to say it but we got outcoached on Monday. Kiffen impressed me as I look back. He called a great second half. And they really needed it. Still, we had a great chance to win. If Saban and Kiffen don't call great plays and catch us offgaurd, we win. For sure. Without those surprising big plays from bama we win without a doubt. We had a few boneheaded collapses, but mostly it was their few big plays. A lesser coached team gets whipped by our Tigers in that game.

Why don't everyone email all the ideas and solutions to

Jan 16, 2016, 12:13 PM

Dabo? A lot of things they probably haven't thought of and never know we might make the championship.

hmmm..interesting.***

Jan 16, 2016, 12:32 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

Jan 16, 2016, 12:41 PM

I can't complain about our record this year however I will bet if you break the games we played this year, that we had trouble in, they would also show the same thing. When we have a lead we go to slow down mode and try the same plays, which is so predictable it's shameful, ala Spence as our offense co. Very good breakdown, hopefully they will keep the pedal down next year and put the games away before we go slow down.

Jan 16, 2016, 1:43 PM

There is only one reason we lost the game. We failed to cover the TE. ONE player had 5 receptions and 208 yards. One. The TE. We played them toe to toe in the trenches. They outplayed us on special teams, but the ONE reason, IMHO, we lost was failure to cover the TE. Every sincel catch he made, he was wide #### open.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic