Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The future of Kelly Bryant!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

The future of Kelly Bryant!

Jan 5, 2018, 10:46 AM

I’m gonna ask a few questions and want honest opinions based on what you all think is best for Clemson and Bryant.

1) Do you believe he aspires to play in the NFL?
2) If so, do you think he could make it in the NFL as a QB?
3) Do you believe Bryant can lead Clemson to at least 10 regular season wins in 2018?
4) Could we make it to the CFP losing an OOC game (Texas A&M) and a conference game (not FSU) and still play for the ACC championship with Bryant as our QB?
5) What position other than QB would Bryant’s Athleticism be the best fit for him?
6) Would he have a better chance of getting drafted if he were a standout safety or WR?
7) If by some chance we made it to the CFP would we suffer the same fate against someone like Bama since Bryant’s passing game is very limited and not respected?

Now, I ask all those questions because the ultimate goal for Clemson is to produce great men, but also to play for championships. If Trevor Lawrence is all he is advertised to be then we will probably only have him for 3 years. Would Clemson be better off to play TL at QB and start helping Bryant to make his transition to another position? What if Bryant could be that big body like Mike Williams and have the speed he has giving him the tools to become an elite receiver? Wouldn’t we be doing the best thing for Clemson and Bryant by going ahead and making the change? Whether we make it to the playoffs with Bryant or Lawrence, the fact remains that we probably only have him for 2 more years. Kelly will be gone in 2019 and Clemson would be better off then if TL had a year’s experience under his belt and Bryant would stand a much better chance of being drafted playing a position that I believe his speed, athleticism, and body type would enable him to play and be successful at.

I’m not sure what our offensive line will look like next year. I just believe if we make it into the playoffs next year we will suffer another heartbreaking and frustrating loss if we are made one dimensional and the opposing team plays us with their ears pinned back because they don’t feel like they have to respect our passing game.

Lastly, this topic is not being started as a bash KB topic. Just getting opinions.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The future of Kelly Bryant!

Jan 5, 2018, 10:51 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2018, 10:54 AM

Dabo will practice the s*it out of them all year and make a determination as to who the starter is when he feels it's right. He will play the BEST player regardless of age. He wants to win too.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No way.. you mean a guy who gets paid millions

Jan 5, 2018, 11:19 AM

Will actually chose the person who will help win the most?

Inconceivable. ..

Doesnt he watch HS football highlights?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Jan 5, 2018, 1:05 PM [ in reply to Re: The future of Kelly Bryant! ]

I ??? those comments about Dabo will choose the best player for QB. I love Dabo as much as anyone, and I wouldn't trade him for any other coach in college FB. But he does have a thing about making the QB that has been with the team the longest as the starter, and he will give us that, he gives us the best chance to win. That has left most of T nation scratching our heads especially, when there hasn't been any talk of either of our highly talented younger QB'S being groomed to take over the second the starter is faltering when he has to get the ball in receivers hands d o w n field. I personally believe that if HJ would have had a lot more snaps during the season, he probably could have come in and made Bama pay for loading the box against our offense. The biggest thing lacking in that game, is we couldn't make Bama pay for loading the box, and I think that HJ would have bc he has a quick release, and he is fast on his feet... I know that we're not allowed our own opinion on here if they are different than most, but that is my personal opinion!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think you’re spot on, allorange***

Jan 5, 2018, 3:21 PM

Feels to me that Dabo has been playing the best QB,

Jan 5, 2018, 5:56 PM [ in reply to Re: The future of Kelly Bryant! ]

from a game management, team and development standpoint, all along. Could Hunter had gotten more reps this year in games? Maybe. Cooper earned reps also and got a chunk of snaps, deservedly so. Headed into this season a lot of TNet was abuzz about ZC, including me. Didn't pan out well. And I think everyone was pretty impressed with Hunter, though he did show a little sloppiness against amped up competition. Throwing a pick at SCar doesn't bode well against a different level defense like Alabama.

I just don't question that KB was our top QB for this team this season by a fairly wide margin. Our only regular season loss was the one where he was a virtual no-show. We can say a lot on here about how Dabo should have prepped and started one of the others (which would have been ZC it seems) for that game, but who knows what was happening internally that week. Maybe KB was adamant he was good and pushed it?

DW broke his collarbone during spring practice as a true freshman. I can't question anything about how the staff stuck with Stoudt those first three games getting Deshaun into the flow, especially considering how the rest of his time worked out.

One thing is for sure about Dabo, the guy is a continual student, and when he's the mentor, the teacher, he practices what he preaches. He and his staff seem to continually review, assess, and improve in just about every area every year.

Time to get on with a cold Friday night.

Go Tigers.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Feels to me that Dabo has been playing the best QB,

Jan 6, 2018, 1:04 PM

The sloppiness that you spoke of, comes from not enough live game experience, and that comes from the best of them, the more they play, the better they are at relaxing at allowing the game to come to them with absolute ease. If Hunter would have been allowed game experience through out the entire season even with KB being the starter, he would have been ready at any time to come and take over. The kid has speed and a quick release with an accurate arm down field. If Hunter would have been getting game experience during the season, he could have come in for the second half against Bama, and his style would have thrown their D off, and Hunter could have won the game I truly believe that. He wouldn't have done any worst than what was happening bc, we all saw that by half time, Bama had already gotten into KB's head causing him to over react with throwing the ball away or getting tackled behind the line of scrimmage!!! Hunter Johnson was rated the second-best quarterback in the nation when he signed with us; Clemson!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2018, 11:39 AM [ in reply to Re: The future of Kelly Bryant! ]

maybe if he were better he would have played. You people have no clue how good we have it now. How many games did KB lose?

Jan 5, 2018, 10:54 AM

Looking at all KB's evals, dont see how he can make QB at the NFL.

With his athleticism, he might be more suited at WR or S/CB.

Dont think he would consider a position change after leading Clem to the playoffs!

Agreed, long term, I dont see KB either winning the Natty as QB, or making it to NFL as a QB.

My 2 cents

Jan 5, 2018, 12:03 PM

I agree. I think Kelly is a great kid and he was a big reason we made it to the playoffs. Also not the reason we lost. John Elway could not have thrown with our O line the other night. That having been said he is not an NFL QB but I doubt he would change positions especially since we are so loaded at WR. I think he will play QB next year as starter or backup and then graduate and go pro in something other than football.

It was not just the OL, the running back in the game has to

Jan 5, 2018, 3:03 PM

block also.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2018, 10:56 AM

I like KB and I think he did a pretty decent job in his first year starting and didn't turn the ball over much. But at the same time, the defense carried the team the majority of the season. The offense rarely had to score more than 20 pts to win games this year because of the defense. I just think, unless he has an outstanding offseason and improves dramatically in the passing game and decision making it'll take a turn for the worse if the D drops slightly with the front 4. We're going to need to score points next season for when we run into top defenses like a Bama again. It'll be in interesting off-season to say the least with the 3 QB's of KB, HJ and TL battling it out.

Jan 5, 2018, 4:10 PM

+1 for the defense comment!!!

Jan 6, 2018, 11:40 AM [ in reply to Re: The future of Kelly Bryant! ]

The D has carried us the last 2 years

Jan 5, 2018, 10:57 AM

There aren’t many QBs that would have a great game playing behind the OL that I saw in New Orleans! Lawrence will not either. KB can improve as a QB and leader of the team but he will have to have help in other areas. With the size and skills that he has, he could easily be a big time receiver. The coaches however know considerably more about this than any tiger netter! I will support their decisions 100 %.

Jan 5, 2018, 4:15 PM

Well that was easy to say, going with what the coaches say and do is a 100% bet, being that not one T netter has a say in the matter of who plays and where they play!!!;)

Here's how I see it ...

Jan 5, 2018, 11:06 AM

1) Yes, KB will play in the NFL
2) No, I don't see him as a strong candidate to play QB in the NFL
3) Yes ... I see us winning 12 games again in 2018 behind KB
4) No, our situation next year will be just the same as this year regarding a one-loss CFP
5) KB could play any of several positions on both sides of the ball... I see WR or Safety
6) Yes, he could be very much like Tiger QB Charlie Waters who made the Pro Bowl as a Safety
7) Not necessarily ... I think KB is still improving and learning the position ... his passing wasn't the main problem in the Sugar Bowl ... "Catching" his passes was the problem, but a lack of effectiveness in the running game was the chief issue.

I want the best player to start at QB in 2018 regardless of who it turns out to be. I'm not interested in putting Trevor Lawrence on the field just because we'll only have him three years if he's not the one best equipped to win games for us, and I'm also not interested in helping KB "transition" to another position unless he is clearly beaten out for the starting QB spot. If he's our best QB, I want him playing QB. And through all this talk, we are forgetting that we have several other guys who will compete for the start next year, not just Trevor Lawrence.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Here's how I see it ...

Jan 5, 2018, 11:15 AM

1) No, KB will play in the NFL not uless he changes positions.
2) No, I don't see him as a strong candidate to play QB in the NFL
3) Yes ... I see us winning 12 games again in 2018 behind KB
4) Yes, our situation next year will be just the same as this year regarding a one-loss CFP
5) KB could play any of several positions on both sides of the ball... I see WR or Safety. I could also see Tight end if he beefed up.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2018, 11:16 AM [ in reply to Here's how I see it ... ]

No to qb in the NFL but he needs to improve his qb skill set and it wouldn't hurt our OCs to go to say Oklahoma and study some of LR concepts be cause our offense was exposed.

Jan 5, 2018, 11:44 AM

tgre agree with all you said. LR is a very creative OC and great hire. I feel we were exposed some but the Bama defense had to only cover about 20 yards of the field because of no downfield threat. We need to get a nasty mean streak on the OL. I think we can get to the playoffs with KB but unless he can pass downfield we probably come up short. Also on alot of the zone read he kept the ball when he should have handed it off. If I am not mistaken he led the team in carries. Our offense was way too predictable and it was like they knew the play we were running. Yes I know they were pissed about last year. We need to adopt that same mentality.

Jan 5, 2018, 11:54 AM

1) Do you believe he aspires to play in the NFL?Most players do. No reason to think KB2 doesn't.
2) If so, do you think he could make it in the NFL as a QB?NO
3) Do you believe Bryant can lead Clemson to at least 10 regular season wins in 2018?YES
4) Could we make it to the CFP losing an OOC game (Texas A&M) and a conference game (not FSU) and still play for the ACC championship with Bryant as our QB?[Don't think we'll lose to either ome
5) What position other than QB would Bryant’s Athleticism be the best fit for him?WR
6) Would he have a better chance of getting drafted if he were a standout safety or WR?YES
7) If by some chance we made it to the CFP would we suffer the same fate against someone like Bama since Bryant’s passing game is very limited and not respected?YES

Jan 5, 2018, 11:56 AM

1) Of course he wants to play in the NFL.
2) Not a chance.
3) Given the talent coming back, yes.
4) Sure.
5) WR.
6) Yes.
7) Yes. We can’t be one dimensional and beat Alabama.

KB was the biggest weakness on the team last year, and he will be again next year. But, the roster is fantastic and the schedule is easy. I would rather see somebody else taking snaps, but I don’t get paid to make those decisions.

Jan 5, 2018, 12:14 PM

1) Yes
2) No
3) Maybe
4) I don't know
5) Can you repeat the question
6) You're not the boss of me now
7) You're not so big

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2018, 4:20 PM

I agree a 110%!!!

If they won't even let Tajh hang around on a roster

Jan 5, 2018, 1:34 PM

Kelly has no shot, as a QB anyway. A team might take a chance on making him a project at WR though.

I'll take a shot.

Jan 5, 2018, 1:52 PM

1. I wold say yes.
2. No chance whatsoever.
3. Yes, I think any of our QB's can do that.
4. No way.
5. Safety
6. Absolutely.
7. Yes

Jan 5, 2018, 2:35 PM

We will be undefeated going into playoffs with KB at qb. Who knows what happens in playoffs. All u can really ask is to be there.

Jan 5, 2018, 4:24 PM

I ask for wins in the playoffs, and I can't see us being successful with a dang good guy trying to be a successful QB in the playoffs!!!

Jan 5, 2018, 2:35 PM

We will be undefeated going into playoffs with KB at qb. Who knows what happens in playoffs. All u can really ask is to be there.

Jan 5, 2018, 2:57 PM

> 1) Do you believe he aspires to play in the NFL?
> 2) If so, do you think he could make it in the NFL as
> a QB?
> 3) Do you believe Bryant can lead Clemson to at least
> 10 regular season wins in 2018?
> 4) Could we make it to the CFP losing an OOC game
> (Texas A&M) and a conference game (not FSU) and still
> play for the ACC championship with Bryant as our QB?
> 5) What position other than QB would Bryant’s
> Athleticism be the best fit for him?
> 6) Would he have a better chance of getting drafted
> if he were a standout safety or WR?
> 7) If by some chance we made it to the CFP would we
> suffer the same fate against someone like Bama since
> Bryant’s passing game is very limited and not
> respected?

1. Of course he does
2. NO
3. YES, IMO we would make the CFP again next year with KB
4. Depends on other teams records but I don’t think so. No 2 loss team has made it. I think that is the real precedent that has been set by the committee.
5. DB
6. IMO yes but it would have been better for him if he had made the change this year to have more time and experience at the position
7. IMO yes because Bama will be there again and you will not beat them with a run first QB and O without an elite OL. We didn’t have that last year, this year, nor will we have it for the 2018 season.

IMO, especially since the OL this year was 4/5 of the same starters as last year, we must have an elite passing QB to beat Bama. Watson was able to do that last year because he is an elite passing QB. We didn’t run any better on them last year either (only 91 rushing yards) but Watson was able to move the pocket and help the OL through his great pocket presence and complete downfield passes. KB simply wasn’t able to do that. IMO the best chance to beat a Bama would be deciding early that either TL or HJ would be the starter next season, select the best one based on the spring and fall camps, and work like heck to get the winner ready. Then when we meet Bama in the CFP, we would have an elite passing QB who had a whole season’s experience under his belt.

Correct Answers attached

Jan 5, 2018, 3:15 PM

>
> 1) Do you believe he aspires to play in the NFL?

Yes, of course.

> 2) If so, do you think he could make it in the NFL as
> a QB?

No

> 3) Do you believe Bryant can lead Clemson to at least
> 10 regular season wins in 2018?

Absolutely

> 4) Could we make it to the CFP losing an OOC game
> (Texas A&M) and a conference game (not FSU) and still
> play for the ACC championship with Bryant as our QB?

No, 1 loss max for playoff

> 5) What position other than QB would Bryant’s
> Athleticism be the best fit for him?

LB or WR

> 6) Would he have a better chance of getting drafted
> if he were a standout safety or WR?

Yes

> 7) If by some chance we made it to the CFP would we
> suffer the same fate against someone like Bama since
> Bryant’s passing game is very limited and not
> respected?

Nope, We can win with him and could have this year

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Disagree with #5 ... no way KB is a LB

Jan 6, 2018, 11:00 AM

... or a DE, or a TE for that matter.

IMHO Kelly is about as heavy as he's capable of becoming.

At his present weight, he could play safety or wide receiver, but I don't think he could bulk up enough to be a LB, TE, or DE.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2018, 3:42 PM

1. Yes
2. Maybe, it's hard to tell with one year behind center.
3. Yes
4. No, ACC will be too weak for a two loss champ to go to POs
5. He's too slow for WR or defensive secondary, I think
6. IDK, let's see if he turns into a QB fit for the pros
7. We shut down Hurts in our first game with Bama and he torched us with good playcalling and sure passing ability. KB may turn out that was next year

Overall I believe we tnetters don't have the facility to evaluate players in practice so I have little to no respect for our opinions, including my own. Anyone can look back and say what should have been done.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Based on his physical makeup and ability, I seen him only

Jan 5, 2018, 4:21 PM

making the NFL on the defensive side of the ball, cornerback or safety.Probably tilted more toward safety. If someone who really has his best future interest at heart gets in his ear, hope that is what they tell him. But, could be he just doesn't want to change. I firmly believe Tim Tebow could be having a helluva career right now in the league ifhe had been willing to switch positions, but, he was not willing to do so. He obviously had more options from the endorsement side than KB at this point in time. If KB truly sees football as a way to support a family in the future, he should consider a position change his last year in college to get a leg up on the learning curve. Just don't see him as a QB at the next level, and that is not meant as a bash in any way. Not very many college QB's make it, just a fact of life.Use your skillset where it has the best chance to succeed.

Message was edited by: 76er®

Message was edited by: 76er®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1.prob'ly 2.no 3.imo, tl is 2018 starter

Jan 5, 2018, 4:23 PM

and we win at least 12.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

Jan 5, 2018, 4:36 PM

KB is a winning college QB. So far TL is a winning high school QB. Spring, fall camp will give a lot of info but KB will not be beaten out easily. If you haven’t noticed, he’s a pretty tough man.

This thread is a hoot...

Jan 5, 2018, 5:05 PM

I proposed this exact thing a few months ago and was burned at the stake for heresy.

Jan 5, 2018, 5:24 PM

You ask questions just like my father in law...you dont want “honest opinions.” You just want to share your own. For that reason, I won’t waste your time or mine giving you my “honest opinion” because you already have your mind made up.

Jan 5, 2018, 5:56 PM

1) Yes absolutely I believe he does

2) No I personally don't but I thought Tahj would at least be a backup in the NFL and look what happened to him

3) Yes absolutely I believe 10 regular season wins is extremely doable

4) Depends on the loss, completely circumstantial and we wouldn't control our own destiny but we could make it.

5) Without a doubt 100% Safety. He's got incredible size, toughness, speed, and as a previous QB he would do wonders with reading QB's eyes. Plus I think he might actually have a shot to play next season. WR personally I don't think he'd get many reps at all other than a decoy....

6) Yes because I believe he'd test fairly well and with that athleticism there would be someone to take a chance on him. Not to mention this draft isn't super deep at Safety after James, Fitzpatrick, Blanding, he could easily be 4th-5th rounder and get a chance. Plus with Dabo as a recruiter who would be a testament to his character, switching positions, being a team captain (Because if he does that he's definitely going to be a captain), etc.

7) If Kelly is there then yes I assume they would try to make us one dimmensional. And it's not a knock against Kelly it's no different if we were playing ourselves, what would you have BV do. Load the box, play physical and make KB beat you with his arm.

Who was that OSU QB, we beat up in Orange B., who became

Jan 5, 2018, 6:14 PM

a starting receiver in the NFL? Could he be a role model for KB?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He was one tough buckaroo...............***

Jan 6, 2018, 11:58 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2018, 11:19 AM

1. Maybe, but deep down he knows he has limitations.
2. No
3. Yes
4. Yes to ACC. No to CFP
5. Body type of a safety
6. Maybe if he was a “standout” but that’s a stretch
7. Very likely

I know what you are getting at and have had these exact discussions with friends. If TL is DW4esque it will be very tough not to play him. KB2 was the right decision this year as the starter, may not be the best decision next year.

Probably does want to play NFL QB, but I don't think that

Jan 6, 2018, 11:57 AM

will work for him. Yes we can do the same with him next year like this year. Never know if a 2-loss team will ever make it. I like him for O'Daniel's LB/Safety position due to athleticism. Good enough athlete to play in NFL, but at the right position, which is probably WR or CB. Who knows how another playoff will shake out regardless of who our QB is? We did a lot this year with KB, and it's certainly not his fault we lost to AL. If the OL does not play better next time it would not matter if we are a pass-first team. I don't think HJ or TL bring the elusiveness that KB or DW have, so I believe we look much more like a pro-style team with either of them. Will have to protect them much better and block for RBs much better to win the championship.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic