Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The end of college football
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

The end of college football

Sep 29, 2019, 9:31 AM

The new essentially free agency rule is the beginning of the end of college football if it stays. Oklahoma and tOSU did not recruit a QB succession plan, but now they are almost certainly going to make the playoff with the QB trade. I support students having options, but you are going to see the same 5 teams at the top more than ever now. Lesser teams will be a farm system for big schools.

I would love the rule if it gave us more parity, but its going to be the opposite. I doubt Dabo ever plays this game and I hope he doesn't, but we will be in a situation where we must be near perfect in recruiting projections. I don't think there is much room for improvement with how well the staff does it now.

I propose a restriction - teams in the playoff and conference champions cannot accept transfers the following year. It will never happen, but get used to Alabama, tOSU, OU, and one other sec team every year. I hope that last spot can be ours, but I don't want to sell my soul for it like the other schools.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hurts could have gone to Oklahoma and played right away...

Sep 29, 2019, 9:35 AM

before the introduction of the transfer portal. No change there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

You're awfully sharp this morning!

Sep 29, 2019, 10:10 AM

What gives, Francis Marion® ?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The end of college football

Sep 29, 2019, 9:40 AM

Sorry to disagree, but if a coach can change schools like Jimbo did, players should be able to do it also.

If you were truly sorry

Sep 29, 2019, 10:05 AM

you wouldn’t have poasted it... ijs

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Sep 29, 2019, 10:16 AM

I can see multiple sides of the argument, but it goes both ways - lesser schools can use big schools as an additional talent pool from which to draw the likes of Z. Cooper, H. Johnson, T. Feaster, etc etc etc

Doesn’t mean their potential will be maximized (right, Feaster?), but it offers benefits both upstream and downstream.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS

Sep 29, 2019, 10:16 AM

I have no problem at all with what Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray and Jalen Hurts did. Don't see why anyone else would either.

Justin Fields, on the other hand, is another story. If non-graduated players can easily transfer without sitting out a year, college football basically becomes unrestricted free agency.

Some fair points have been made but

Sep 29, 2019, 11:35 AM

you've been warned. I don't think its good for the game. I have no problem making a coach sit or wait a year or dare I say punished for problems he caused at another school. Changes are necessary for players' rights, but this is probably in the wrong direction. If football isn't a sport in ten years it won't matter anyway.

ok..

Sep 29, 2019, 11:51 AM

what do you think is different this year than the last 20?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Some fair points have been made but

Sep 29, 2019, 11:35 AM

you've been warned. I don't think its good for the game. I have no problem making a coach sit or wait a year or dare I say punished for problems he caused at another school. Changes are necessary for players' rights, but this is probably in the wrong direction. If football isn't a sport in ten years it won't matter anyway.

The answer is simple If you transfer, you have to sit out

Sep 29, 2019, 11:48 AM

a year. No waivers, no exceptions. That way, potential transfers cannot just be immediately "recruited", situations one year out are far harder to predict.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 29, 2019, 12:01 PM

The free agency stuff just further exposes the folly of the connection between the billion dollar sports media and institutions of learning and none of us who love our teams want to look too closely.

No one who was at all serious about education would switch schools a year at a time. The "they do it to improve their exposure and chances to play at the next level" excuse is super thin. NFL teams can tell who is good and who isn't without having to see it on ABC. Kids are transferring to cash in, either for themselves or their families, because they feel they deserve to share in the billions in revenue their skills helped generate. I am glad Clemson is not involved in it, but it won't be long before we can't be competitive without it.

Sep 29, 2019, 12:13 PM

How many times can they use the transfer portal???

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic